Vaping and copd

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hi Amelia2013, welcome to ECF.

I'm not a doctor, so I certainly can't advise you to vape if you have emphysema, nor would anyone on this board (probably). That would be a conversation to have with your doctor who hopefully has some knowledge regarding this illness and vaping.

I can tell you my own story, which was that I had pneumonia on and off for 18 months, prior to switching to vaping. My lung health has improved immeasurably and I no longer wheeze, need inhalers, or any other lung aids. I caught a cold and for the first time in years, it did not progress to a bronchial issue. I have also seen other vapers WITH emphysema (even on oxygen) use a vape, and seen reduction in symptoms. What I can tell you DEFINITEVELY is that vaping is harm reduction, not harm elimination. Without more longitudinal data, it's impossible to say that vaping carries 0 risks. It is considered safer than smoking in many countries and via many studies, for sure.

Whether it is a good idea for YOU needs to be discussed with a medical professional, and you need to weigh harm elimination methods. Some folks with emphysema do well not actually inhaling into their lungs, but using a mouth inhale, to nose exhale, letting mucus membranes do the work. Others can vape successfully into the lungs. There are also other harm reduction products that are tobacco based such as Snus, which was developed in Sweeden, for example. You have other nic replacement options.

With that said, if your medical professional gives you the go ahead, I'd advise MTL vaping (less vapor, more nicotine per puff, more similar to smoking a cigarette) over inhaling large volumes of vapor into the lungs (sub0hming). You would want to find a good VG/PG (the two major carriers of nicotine and vapor-carriers) ratio, some folks find too much VG causes a heavy or congested feeling in the lungs, that would not be good with COPD.

I really think the first step is to talk to your doctor about this, and evaluate which options are safest for you to successfully stop smoking, so your emphysema doesn't worsen. It could be vaping, or it could be something else, but please talk to your doctor since this is a very serious condition, and I am not a doctor, I am a random person typing on the internet.

Best of luck, and I hope things go well for you.

Anna

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Hi Amelia and welcome to ECF!

My advice to people with COPD/emphysema is always to vape defensively. Here's what I would suggest:

1) With vaping, you don't have to inhale at all to get the benefits of nicotine. Try vaping like you would smoke a cigar or a pipe. I do it often to give my lungs a break. It's fun.

2) If you must/want to inhale, avoid flavored eliquids--stick to unflavored base (just PG, VG and nicotine, I like 70/30 PG/VG ratio) or choose very lightly flavored, clean, clear eliquids. Avoid juices that are dark, sweet, and potentially irritating flavors like cinnamon, and NETs,

3) Vape at lower wattages and use mouth to lung vaping technique--avoid DH vaping; 12-18 mg/ml concentration is usually effective with MTL vaping.

Have you considered other ways of getting your nic fix? Swedish snus is the best and the safest--it's been studied for ever. If you can't get Swedish snus locally, American snus will do, but it's not as good. Using snus is best for ailing lungs, of course, because there's no inhalation involved--you just park a small pouch of purified tobacco under your lip and you're done. You can also try using it in conjunction with vaping--when the cravings hit.

I'm not a pulmonologist so I can't tell you if vaping is safe for people with COPD/emphysema, but one study conducted by Dr. Polosa from Italy seems to be encouraging:

Dr. Polosa, Italian vapor and tobacco expert, reviews e-cigs in BMC Medicine - American Council on Science and Health (ACSH)

"Among people with asthma and/or COPD (chronic obstructive lung disease, bronchitis and emphysema), improvement in symptoms was noted in two-thirds of smokers who switched to vaping. According to Dr. Polosa, taken together, these findings provide emerging evidence that e-cig/vapor product use can reverse harm from tobacco smoking."

You may also want to read this post by Oliver, the founder of this forum:

My emphysema and vaping. Attention dual users. | Page 2 | E-Cigarette Forum

Good luck!

Last edited:

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
I have COPD (35% lung capacity). I smoked heavily for 42 years and have been vaping for 5 years. So here's my story.

First, my pulmonologist says that quitting cigarettes was the best thing I could have done. He is not sold on vaping but doesn't have enough info to say one way or the other.

I definitely have to stick with MTL (mouth-to-lung) and lower watts. Just enough vapor to simulate smoking...not clouds and heat.

I mostly vape unflavored or just light flavoring.

I need to stick with higher PG liquid (70-80%). Too much VG gives me too much phlegm.

All-in-all, with my new inhalers, and losing 25 lbs I feel much better than when I was smoking 3 packs per day.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi all
I'm new to the forum here's my story I have been diagnosed with emphysema just need some info about vaping and this horrible disease if I vape is my condition going to get worse ? What is the best liquid to use ? Any replies would be great
Welcome and glad you joined.
I have provided a little more information which might help your condition. As always, it's best to consult with your doctor.
Might like to see first:
CAUTION: E-Cigarettes and Emphysema
A list of symptoms when quitting tobacco and changing to an ecigarette
Dr. Polosa, Italian vapor and tobacco expert, reviews e-cigs in BMC Medicine | American Council on Science and Health
"What is the best liquid to use ? "
please see: Ecig VG health question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread