1. Win Vaping gear! The ECF 15 Millionth Post contest

We are fast approaching the 15 millionth ECF post and we have a contest to celebrate this huge landmark and amazing prizes to give out to our members! Head over to the official contest thread to see the rules and check out the prizes generously pledged by our registered suppliers on the prize announcement thread.

Getting burnt taste with my Protank

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by bob_loblaw, Aug 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. bob_loblaw

bob_loblaw Full Member

Need help with a burnt taste in the liquid I mixed last night. Here's what I did:
    2.4ml 100mg Flavorless Nicotine in VG
    1.5ml PG (RTS vapes)
    20.1ml VG (RTS vapes)
    6ml Watermelon (TFA)

I then added about 20 drops of Koolada for a cooler vape.

Why does this taste burnt?

2. SonHouse

SonHouse Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Well, your flavor % should be more along the lines of 20% or below. 35% is a tad over the top.

Woops, just reread it. I had added the PG in as a flavor, still too high though.

3. bob_loblaw

bob_loblaw Full Member

So how much flavor should I use?

4. crxess

crxess ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

A good place to start is 5% then up until you find the spot you like.
    Watermelon is Very strong at 10%
    Koolada should be no more than 2 drops per 10ml to start

Is the taste Burnt or Burning?

Spend some time in the DIY forum
    and Get ejuicemeup calculator.

Ejuicemeup shows you at 25/75 blend, 8mg nic

May need to remove one flavor wick and/or reduce Power

5. bob_loblaw

bob_loblaw Full Member

The taste is burnt and I used the ejuicemeup calculator.

TFA says that the Koolada should be used at 4 drops per 4ml so that's where I got the idea.

I also made a strawberry/vanilla mix with total flavoring at 20% and it vapes great! No burnt taste at all.

6. SonHouse

Flavor intensities vary and unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with your flavors to be able to suggest the proper amounts. There's a lot more expertise in the DIY Juice forum. I'd see if a mod can move your thread.

7. pita1028

pita1028 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

That is a lot of vg for a protank. Remove a few strands of silica from a new atty and hope everything is ok. If it tastes burnt its the atty.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

8. bob_loblaw

bob_loblaw Full Member

I will move it over there as soon as the forum allows me to. I am limited to the noob threads only for now.

9. bob_loblaw

bob_loblaw Full Member

I think I will be doing a 40/60 blend with my next attempt. Also will ramp up the flavor starting at 5%.
    Thank you for any advice!

10. SonHouse

I personally run with a 40% PG / 60% VG mix in my ProTaks so that should work fine.

11. Sd13

Sd13 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Protanks need 60% or higher PG to avoid dry hits. Only way to avoid dry hits with higher VG is to remove one or two wicks, depending on how much VG you are putting in. However, by doing that you will run the risk of leaking.

12. bob_loblaw

bob_loblaw Full Member

I really don't want any leaks. I'll give the 40PG/60VG blend a shot and see how it goes. So the lack of PG is causing the burnt flavor?

13. crxess

crxess ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Ignore this. Properly working a Protank will vape Boba's Bounty no problem. That stuff is 100% VG and thick as syrup.

All my DIY is 50/50, no Distilled water etc. and Protank handles it fine. Some heads do need attention.

Once you reach the DIY threads there is some good info on % for different Flavors for most manufacturers.

Watch - learn - enjoy

14. bob_loblaw

bob_loblaw Full Member

Sounded a bit odd. Thank you!

15. Sd13

Sd13 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

If you watch PBusardo's videos closely you will notice he removes a flavor wicks on his bottom coil clearomizers. I tried boba's bounty in a protank mini. Flavor was muted unless i removed the wicks. With 50/50 it depends on the juice. I am not saying all juices at that ratio need a wick or two removed but some of them do. However, i do not recommend removing wicks unless you dont mind dealing with major gurgling, flooding leaking etc. In my experience, the higher the PG the larger the percentage of juices out there that do not have a muted or dry flavor in the protanks/evods.

16. SonHouse

I'm mixing at 60% VG now and considering 70% with the ProTank. I'm really not seeing issues and That's with both stock and rebuilt heads with full flavor wicks.

17. SonHouse

So, have you tried diluting some of your juice out? Take a half a tank with a new head, dilute it to 50% and let us know.

18. popcornplaya

popcornplaya Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I have fallen in love with this tank after trying just about everything. I got the burnt taste all the time using many different ratio's of juices. I then watched JacktheRippers review of the tank and he says to blow into the drip tip. Real light. When you do you see a bubble come up through the juice. My guess there is some issue with the pressure and this solves it since it doesn't need to be BLOWN when its half full or less as often. Just my two cents. I also removed one of the flavor wicks eventually to make it even better. On my way to work I chain vape and blow clouds so big I can't see for a second. LOL

19. bob_loblaw

bob_loblaw Full Member

I will try the removing of the wick. I will also dilute the watermelon and let you know. Thanks for all the help!

20. BigCloudz

BigCloudz Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I like my protank, but no lie, I have to replace the heads about every 2-3 days to get quality vapor. I am gonna start wrapping my own here soon, that or I will have to tap out on the PT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.