Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Hi everyone. Whether you are new to DIY or a seasoned member, this thread is being created to get ideas of what and how others make their favorites. It can be about nic, mixing, using calculators, how you mix, converting drops to ml's or percentages, how to... or anything else related to DIY. Not vendor specific or recipe specific but please list what manufacture makes any flavoring you are talking about so others can follow along.

Have fun.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I tried Real Flavors today and wow! Was not disappointed. Very different light true taste of the flavors. I'm hooked :)

As for mixing, I am one of the odd balls that still uses drops like the old days :) I use the 30 drops= 1 ml rule like we did back in the days of filling Cartos. I mix my flavors in the bottle I am making up then add the PG/VG Nic mix 1/2 full in the bottle, shake well then add the rest to fill bottle with shake room, shake again, slap on label and vape :) So easy and about zero clean up if you use droppers in your flavors.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I tried Real Flavors today and wow! Was not disappointed. Very different light true taste of the flavors. I'm hooked :)

As for mixing, I am one of the odd balls that still uses drops like the old days :) I use the 30 drops= 1 ml rule like we did back in the days of filling Cartos. I mix my flavors in the bottle I am making up then add the PG/VG Nic mix 1/2 full in the bottle, shake well then add the rest to fill bottle with shake room, shake again, slap on label and vape :) So easy and about zero clean up if you use droppers in your flavors.
Do you buy the nic @ 100mg or less? What pct do you use?
I am around 6% now. Had to drop my nic when I started using the sub ohm coils. Before that I was at 12%. The sub ohm coils are nice but you really go through the ejuice a lot faster.
I mix by mls and am trying to get used to mixing using grams on a scale. Not quite there yet. Guess I am too used to they way I have done it for so long.
I have gotten in a few of the Real Flavors but have not mixed them yet. Too many flavors, not enough time. lol
:)

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I have 100 mg now, I was buying 60 before, but with FDA...., I vape 6 mg and 3 mg. Higher in morning lower in evening. What I do is make up batch of about a liter of ready mixed PG/VG Nic at my level. Then when I mix flavors my pre mix is already to go :) Easier for me.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I have 100 mg now, I was buying 60 before, but with FDA...., I vape 6 mg and 3 mg. Higher in morning lower in evening. What I do is make up batch of about a liter of ready mixed PG/VG Nic at my level. Then when I mix flavors my pre mix is already to go :) Easier for me.
I have been doing that too. But I already had a lot of my favs already mixed up @12mg so had to reduce them to vape in the sub ohm devices. So now I have way too much that needs to be used up before I can really start mixing again.(except some of the new flavors that I want right now).
I am like you....am beginning to look like a shop with all this stuff. Plus I am rapidly running out of room, so I gotta vape fast. LOL

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Here is a question for you,

How do you go about copying a juice. I have a Juice that is my start of the day juice and am trying to figure out how to clone it. Is it just trial and error or some tips available.
Well, first what ejuice is it that you want to copy? Sometimes some of the members have already figured it out. If you could tell us what it is called and/or where you got it from or what the description is on the site you purchase from it will help. If that fails, tell us what you taste in it.

corn flakes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2014
Brant County Canada
Well, first what ejuice is it that you want to copy? Sometimes some of the members have already figured it out. If you could tell us what it is called and/or where you got it from or what the description is on the site you purchase from it will help. If that fails, tell us what you taste in it.

It's a Canadian juice. The one that got me off smokes and kept me off. I haven't been able the find a juice I like as well. It is the only juice I could vape all day. But it is a little pricey.

Vanilla Ice

Description from the site.

Nice Vapors Vanilla Ice e-Liquid is a smooth, sweet and creamy vape. Rich notes of vanilla and sweet cream combine to make a perfectly balanced Vanilla Ice Cream e-liquid that would make Vanilla Ice himself sing 'Ice Ice baby' all the way to the vape shop.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
It's a Canadian juice. The one that got me off smokes and kept me off. I haven't been able the find a juice I like as well. It is the only juice I could vape all day. But it is a little pricey.

Vanilla Ice

Nice Vapors Vanilla Ice e-Liquid is a smooth, sweet and creamy vape. Rich notes of vanilla and sweet cream combine to make a perfectly balanced Vanilla Ice Cream e-liquid that would make Vanilla Ice himself sing 'Ice Ice baby' all the way to the vape shop.
Off the top of my head I would say that the vanilla is probably a french vanilla flavor with vanilla bean ice cream flavor and with the ice ice in the description maybe even some koolada in it. TFA has these flavors as well as sweet cream flavor.(but I suspect the sweet cream is really the vanilla bean ice cream is what they mean)
Several other manufactures make all these flavors too so it may be a little of test trial to find the correct ones that fit your taste.
I will look at some of the sites that I know that have clone recipes to see if I can find something similar for you, but it will be later today as I am starting to tire out. Or maybe some other members can chime in to help out.
Another thing to consider when buying flavors is to first buy the smallest amt they are selling so you don't waste a lot of money trying to figure it out. Wizard labs and onestopdiyshop have 8ml sizes and don't cost very much.
Do the vendors you buy from offer the flavors to buy as well as the already mixed ejuices? That may be a better option at least shipping wise.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
As for mixing, I am one of the odd balls that still uses drops like the old days :) I use the 30 drops= 1 ml rule like we did back in the days of filling Cartos.
I respect your method and am glad that it works for you; and for all the others that prefer to mix with drops. I will NOT try to change your mind or say someone else should not choose the method for themselves.

But, for the sake of those just wetting their feet in the world of DIY, and since you offered one point of view, I will offer another (not "correct" just "different"). I would point out the inherent limitation of drops so the person deciding what might work best for them can be more fully informed.

And that is the ability to accurately share/communicate your recipes. Drop size is dependent on viscosity, temperature, and type and size of dropper (an 18 gauge syringe needle is going to provide one size drop, a glass eye dropper another, and a plastic dropper bottle yet another). As long as you don't change anything, you can replicate the recipe with some consistency. But when I try to replicate it, my drops may be the same, or totally different. (As a side note: I would be curious if your VG based Real Flavors still measure out at 30 drops to the milliliter. Aren't they a lot thicker than your PG based flavors?)

It would be like me sharing a recipe for bread saying "mix together 20 fist-fulls of flower, with 15 cupped palms of water, and a shake of yeast and put it in the oven. You might get a brick, or some awful tasting broth, or some really tasty bread. It all depends on how lucky you are at interpreting my meaning without a common agreement to the measuring unit.

Also, some ingredients are much more forgiving to over/under measures. Comparing once again to the cooking world, a cookie recipe is going to be a lot more forgiving between a teaspoon and tablespoon of sugar, than it would between a teaspoon and tablespoon of salt even though both ingredients are used in the same recipe. I know this is an overly dramatic example but because we often use so little of each flavor (especially when we mix smaller test batches) it doesn't take a lot of variation to have something taste totally different.

I will be the first to acknowledge that measuring by volume (mL) and measuring by weight (gr) have their potential for error as well. I can misuse a set of measuring spoons, or buy a really lousy set, just as easily as misusing a syringe or scale. But the difference is we are talking about an agreed upon unit of measure (nobody is trying to figure out how big my hand is! :lol: )

That's my take on the subject; and I promise to stop "kicking the dog." :D

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Oh I think you will love Real Flavors, the exhale I get is so light, love it, and the Samoa cookie is really good :)
You and @Fozzy71 are KILLEN' me! I have been eyeballing this manufacture for the last 4 months. But I hadn't heard a lot of feedback so I have been able to resist temptation. You are making them sound SO GOOD! I have so many new flavors I should be working with. Where's my wallet? NO! I must re sist...

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Flavor companies are popping up all over just like the hardware and nic vendors. Hard to keep up. There is also another I have just found tho I am not sure they are new. It is one on one flavors and they have flavors that the other suppliers don't seem to have. I saw a tapioca flavor and a cookie dough....yum. They are a little more expensive but I will have to buy them soon as I love both flavors..
my bad. lol

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Off the top of my head I would say that the vanilla is probably a french vanilla flavor with vanilla bean ice cream flavor and with the ice ice in the description maybe even some koolada in it.
Or maybe some other members can chime in to help out.
I was thinking along the same path. vanilla bean ice cream, vanilla custard (lower percentage background support and mouth feel; not foreground heavy)(though your french vanilla might be better for shake and vape), marshmallow and/or meringue (FA) if needed for texture, and a little brown sugar for just that little extra rich/sweet note. Deffinently on the koolada and possibly just a fraction of a percent of menthol if he wants the inhale/exhale cool; but I would start at no more than 0.25% as it could take the mix over quickly.

Then again, it could be something as simple as TFA's Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, Sweet Cream, and Koolada. I've never tasted anything from that vendor so I am totally pulling it out my rear.

I did read on their site: "100% North American Ingredients USP Grade PG and VG" so @corn flakes can rule out European products.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
It is one on one flavors and they have flavors that the other suppliers don't seem to have.
Looks quite extensive. I'm a little surprised at the lack of reviews attached to their flavors
(I looked at common ones like peach {fresh, ripe, and sweet}, watermelon {fresh, and regular}, and raspberry {fresh, and regular} and not one of them had a single review.). I was also disheartened to see they made NO effort to attach ANY description to any of the flavors that I looked at. Just the same repeated paragraph about the size options. NOTHING specific to the flavor you are looking at. So unless you have an outside review like here on ECF it appears to be "wing & a prayer" time.

I'll be able to resist this ONE until I learn more.
my bad. lol
Yes. Yes you are! You were trying to tempt me! :lol::lol::lol:

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5

Vanilla Ice

not sure if this is a clone of that exact recipe or not but I found a recipe named vanilla ice on a recipe site I can't name or link to:

Cream Fresh (FA) 1%
Marshmallow (TPA) 2%
Sweet Cream (CAP) 1.5%
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (CAP) 4%

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
I've posted these thoughts elsewhere, but I thought I'd throw them here for folks looking to DIY.

When I first started this a couple of years ago, I did count by drops - many of my flavorings were in plastic squeeze bottles with a dripper top. Then I got bored counting :D

And, I moved on to flavorings that came in glass bottles (not so easy to squeeze)

Along with the philosophy of drop sizes not being consistent, I moved to measuring by volume. Even that is not precise for me. I eyeball the measurement in a disposable pipette. Because MOST of the recipes I utilize are forgiving, whether I'm off by smidgen here or there IS OF NO MATTER TO ME. There will be those who swear the recipe isn't right if it's not measured PRECISELY. My taste buds are MINE (as yours all are YOURS.) Even when cooking, if something calls for a quarter teaspoon of this or that, my measurement isn't 100% precise, and *I* can't tell the difference. Since I'm the one vaping what I make (or eating what I cook) - AIN'T A THANG!!!!

Besides, recipes should typically be viewed as STARTING POINTS. (Baking - that's a slightly different animal; one needs to be more precise or the end result could get seriously skewed....)

SO, the long and short of this is KEEP IT SIMPLE. ADJUST to YOUR taste preferences. There are some dynamite recipes out there, but there are certain ingredients I like more or less of. I have to ADJUST.

I measure my flavorings into a bottle. I add *MY* amount of nic, and then I fill up the rest of the bottle with whatever base of PG/VG - I tend toward 100 VG. SO, I'm not even getting a specific PG/VG ratio because the flavoring percentages are different from recipe to recipe.

Some of you have allergies/reactions to different components - some can't tolerate VG; others can't tolerate PG. MAKE MIXING YOUR OWN. If you need a specific PG or VG level, be more careful measuring. I typically mix in 30ml bottles. Sometimes I end up with 28ml to the amount of flavorings; sometimes I end up with 31ml because I can't/don't control the PRECISE spot where 30mL lands in my bottles.

I rarely have borked a mix so badly that I can't vape it. The one time I did, I'd picked up a 3mL pipette instead of a 1mL - oooooooo, that was STRONG!!!!! So, what to do? Get all the other flavors back in proprtion; split it into multiple bottles and add more unflavored base. Easy-peasy.

As Mattie says, this isn't rocket science. If you're unsure you're going to like a result, don't mix a 100ml bottle on your first try :shock: I kept a lot of 10mL bottles from when I purchased my juice, just to have a playground. I'd rather throw out 10mL of skank for mere pennies per ml than to have to dump what could have been a month's supply of juice.

Sorry - got on a bit of a rant....

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    Here is a question for you,

How do you go about copying a juice. I have a Juice that is my start of the day juice and am trying to figure out how to clone it. Is it just trial and error or some tips available.
    Try diyordie site for info and video on how to determine flavors/notes when cloning. Some great recipes on there as well.

rosesense

14 years and counting
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    I've posted these thoughts elsewhere, but I thought I'd throw them here for folks looking to DIY.

When I first started this a couple of years ago, I did count by drops - many of my flavorings were in plastic squeeze bottles with a dripper top. Then I got bored counting :D

And, I moved on to flavorings that came in glass bottles (not so easy to squeeze)

Along with the philosophy of drop sizes not being consistent, I moved to measuring by volume. Even that is not precise for me. I eyeball the measurement in a disposable pipette. Because MOST of the recipes I utilize are forgiving, whether I'm off by smidgen here or there IS OF NO MATTER TO ME. There will be those who swear the recipe isn't right if it's not measured PRECISELY. My taste buds are MINE (as yours all are YOURS.) Even when cooking, if something calls for a quarter teaspoon of this or that, my measurement isn't 100% precise, and *I* can't tell the difference. Since I'm the one vaping what I make (or eating what I cook) - AIN'T A THANG!!!!

Besides, recipes should typically be viewed as STARTING POINTS. (Baking - that's a slightly different animal; one needs to be more precise or the end result could get seriously skewed....)

SO, the long and short of this is KEEP IT SIMPLE. ADJUST to YOUR taste preferences. There are some dynamite recipes out there, but there are certain ingredients I like more or less of. I have to ADJUST.

I measure my flavorings into a bottle. I add *MY* amount of nic, and then I fill up the rest of the bottle with whatever base of PG/VG - I tend toward 100 VG. SO, I'm not even getting a specific PG/VG ratio because the flavoring percentages are different from recipe to recipe.

Some of you have allergies/reactions to different components - some can't tolerate VG; others can't tolerate PG. MAKE MIXING YOUR OWN. If you need a specific PG or VG level, be more careful measuring. I typically mix in 30ml bottles. Sometimes I end up with 28ml to the amount of flavorings; sometimes I end up with 31ml because I can't/don't control the PRECISE spot where 30mL lands in my bottles.

I rarely have borked a mix so badly that I can't vape it. The one time I did, I'd picked up a 3mL pipette instead of a 1mL - oooooooo, that was STRONG!!!!! So, what to do? Get all the other flavors back in proprtion; split it into multiple bottles and add more unflavored base. Easy-peasy.

As Mattie says, this isn't rocket science. If you're unsure you're going to like a result, don't mix a 100ml bottle on your first try :shock: I kept a lot of 10mL bottles from when I purchased my juice, just to have a playground. I'd rather throw out 10mL of skank for mere pennies per ml than to have to dump what could have been a month's supply of juice.

Sorry - got on a bit of a rant....
    Well said. I have tried all the methods and I simply use drops most of the time. Works for me, it is an individual preference. I had a scale, never took the time to drag it out and finally gave it away.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread