DIY Masters Techniques - Mixing Flavors

Status
Not open for further replies.

micksf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
San Fran
I'm starting a series of threads asking the old and new pros to give us their DIY techniques , most of which is already out there but now hopefully all collected here, in one place. I've started different threads for different topics.

This thread is specifically for methods for Mixing Flavors Together.*

In this thread, please post your method for how you mix flavors together to create a recipe (ex. sample size, method to determine percentages of each flavor, steep/ no steep, ect.).

Please give specifics and include any info that people might find helpful. Please don't hijack this thread with debates, it's more about sharing your individual successful experiences and methods. Thanks to everyone for their input.

*please use my other Masters threads for other topics
www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy...echniques-determining-flavor-percentages.html
www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/268758-diy-master-techniques-steeping.html
www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy...ques-flavor-add-ons-em-vw-bw-mts-acv-ect.html

Last edited:

wizard10000

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
midwestern us
disclaimer: I am not an expert.

:)

My experience probably differs from everyone else's, but here's what works for me.

I test 5ml batches in 6ml bottles so I've got room to add stuff if something's way off. For me, doing smaller sample sizes just makes for a larger margin of error and with a 5ml batch I can do the math in my head.

I may catch a little flak for this but I never, ever count drops. I always work in percentages so that my results are both scalable and repeatable.

If I'm doing something new I generally do a 0mg test batch unless I'm working with flavors with which I'm pretty familiar. I generally start out with total flavoring at 10% - this is where the extra space in a 6ml bottle comes in handy. If there's a dominant flavor I usually start that at 5% and the other flavors make up the other 5%. I test with a debridged 306 atty so I can just put one drop right on the coil and vape it until it's gone in just a handful of hits. Flavoring tends to rest on the top of the mix so I generally shake well then pitch the first two or three drops out of the dropper to make sure I don't have any flavoring stuck in the dropper itself.

I'm beginning to learn that I need to use about 3/4 as much flavoring as I think the batch needs as I've found a few that were great when fresh and a bit overpowering when they steeped for a week or so.

I mentioned this in another thread but I account for every drop of flavoring. I take good notes and transfer the notes to a spreadsheet so I don't lose them. I think the paperwork is as important as the mix.

Reactions: Tonylee57

micksf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
San Fran
From Hoosier....

Make a 10ml bottle of individual flavors (say 3 for this example).

Take out another bottle and add 1ml from those 3 into the new bottle, shake, taste. Trust me, you'll be amazed, it's like a magic trick. Now take that 3ml bottle and throw it into a cup of hot tap water and take it out every so often and shake it until everything is room temp. and taste it again. Wow, the things you are bound to discover!

Now, after you find out that an even 1/3-1/3-1/3 blend does not taste like you expected, start with the flavor that seemed to be muted before at put in 1.5ml of that and adjust the middle flavor and the one that got boosted beyond expectations to make up the rest of the next 3ml. Taste, quick steep, taste and start again if needed. (There might be a time when an even ratio blend actually worked right, but I've never had it.)

When you find out the blend of these 3 that work, then deconstruct the recipe and record it. Put a star next to it. When mixing it from scratch for the first time make sure the "Base" flavor is put in the bottle first and then the other flavors, then add no-nic base and then nic. If it works this way, underline that star and brag!

from the original post...
www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/257004-do-i-divide-up-flavors.html

Last edited:

micksf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
San Fran
From GoodDog...

Some flavor molecules will cancel out others. It's tricky when mixing several. Like chocolates will either overwhelm everything else or it will fade away...very difficult to get multiple flavors all playing well with each other. But your question seems to be not finding the accurate % for each individual flavor. Some need other flavors to enhance the main flavor, so testing each one will only give you an idea. Once you mix it with other flavors that will change. It's trial and error as each flavor acts differently and also varies between how much VG, PG, nicotine, etc you use. Maybe adding EM to your tests will help.

from the original post...
www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/262793-flavors-real-light-more-steeping.html

Last edited:

micksf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
San Fran
From Str8V8ping...

One thing that i do on occasion that made my juices lack was knowing which flavor should be your base . This is important . Also always using mixes . Standalone flavors imo can come out good but always feel like there lacking that extra punch . Try using the opposite base/dominant flavor in your juice as see how it comes out .

I used to try t make say a cookie juice . I would always do say 10% cookie and 4% vanilla custard . It would always be lacking . I then thought maybe its backwards . I then tried 10% vanilla and 4% cookie and its much better . Sometime what you think should be your base flavor is the opposite .

Last edited:

micksf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
San Fran

vicsan

Sparky
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2011
IL
I'm adding this here because GoodDog told me I should. :) I saw a friend of mine post for help because he struggles with ADHD and has a very hard time focusing on the things necessary for DIY juice, so I posted this to help him. I hope it helps others who struggle with the same issues:

In your ejuice me up calculator you will enter 100% PG nic at 36mg (or whatever strength nic juice you have or VG if that's what you have or the % of any PG/VG Mix you may have)

That's what's you're starting with and that is at the top and the first thing you enter

Then it asks Target Nicotine strength.

You will enter 9% (or whatever target strength you want)

Amount to make? 10ml? 30ml? 60ml? 120ml? Enter the size bottle you have.

Next is the water, Vodka or Pure Grain Alcohol. Leave at zero if you aren't using any them.

Next is your flavoring. Most flavorings are PG based, so enter 100% under PG. Write in the name of the flavoring. Enter the % you want added to the juice. I like FLAVOR so I mix mine at 10-15%. You're going to have to guess at this one, ob. If it's not strong enough, you can always add more flavor later, so you may want to start weak...maybe 5%? I really don't know the best strength for mixing waffle or Raspberry. Someone else will though.

Next is the nicotine juice percentages. Enter 70 PG and 30 VG. (or whatever PG/VG mix YOU vape)

Go to the bottom of the screen and hit "calculate" and up pops everything you need in "ml" or "drops."

It tells you how many ml PG/VG to use and how many ml/drops of flavor to use.

Just use your syringes to measure out what the recipe says.

I keep a big mason jar half full of Vodka for rinsing my syringes in between flavors/PG/VG/nic (nic gets it's own syringe though).

I also use a big cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil with paper towel on top for the mixing. As I mix, I close each bottle after use so it doesn't get spilled and move it OFF the tray because I already used it and don't need it again for this recipe. As I measure, after each flavor, the syringe goes into the Vodka and gets cleaned before going to the next ingredient.

COVER THE PRINT ON YOUR SYRINGES WITH SCOTCH TAPE so it doesn't come off.

Everything gets washed in the sink with dish soap when I'm finished and air dried.

on edit: I also print out the recipe card (top of the ejuice me up page) and if I make any changes, I add that to the recipe card...just write at the bottom of the sheet what you added to the recipe. Next time you want to make it, it will be there and it will taste the same as before. Just add whatever changes you made and then hit "file">save. Keep the recipe card if you want. I keep mine so I can just use that next time instead of taking my laptop to the work area (kitchen).

Here's the link to the original post and if you could help ob, that would be great!

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-just-cannot-grasp-diy-thing.html#post5410272

on edit: I needed to add information on the nic/PG/VG % that made this relavant to everyone, not just ob's situation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread