Status
Not open for further replies.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I am quite proficient in rebuilding my RDAs and RTAs, and even rebuilding the Kanger OCC heads for my Subtank Nano. And and limited success rebuilding the Protank coils.

Now the help needed part.

I have zero experience with Genesis tanks and I am thinking of trying one and I have a few questions.

1. What is a good mesh to use with Genesis tanks?

2. Do you have to use mesh or can you use cotton wicks?

2. I am interested in three gennies.

RSST
SAT22
NEXGEN.

Any help would be appreciated.

milescadre

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Despite the horrible experiences throughout the history of posting in your topics, I'll bite the bullet.

to keep it concise, heres yer answers;

1: 200 or 400. 200 probably would be a good starting point.

2: You can use cotton, just make sure you dont choke it off in the wick holes. or you can do what grimmgreen does and put some cotton in the hole and use it as a dripper tank. but the true classic approach is using mesh.

2: (again) RSST prob would be your best bet. Nexgen is a pain to build with from what I hear and Sat 22 has a tight draw from what I heard. Kraken probably would be best though.

good luck, you'll need it =)

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Despite the horrible experiences throughout the history of posting in your topics, I'll bite the bullet.

2: You can use cotton, just make sure you dont choke it off in the wick holes. or you can do what grimmgreen does and put some cotton in the hole and use it as a dripper tank. but the true classic approach is using mesh.

2: (again) RSST prob would be your best bet. Nexgen is a pain to build with from what I hear and Sat 22 has a tight draw from what I heard. Kraken probably would be best though.

Thanks for the help,.

I kinda liked the looks of the Sat 22 but its got a tighter draw than the Kayfun?

TheOnyxEgg

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2014
Minneapolis, MN, USA
The Sat22 has one of the tightest draws of any genesis I've tried, it's been a while since I've tried a Kayfun of any sort but I believe it may be tighter than those as well.

Here's my three answers:
1) I've always used 400 or 500 mesh in my gennies, never really had a problem with wicking. You'll probably be rebuilding it several times before you settle in on a build you like so it may worth picking up a variety to experiment with. You'll likely get a pretty wide range of recommendations for this one, and it can depend on which atty you're trying to use.

2) Will a genesis atomizer work with a cotton/rayon/non-mesh wick? Absolutely. Some people swear by this setup. Some people will also berate you on here for even suggesting putting cotton in a genesis. :rolleyes: I've always used mesh in mine, and a lot of the things I like about this style of atomizer come from the properties of a mesh wick so I've never really wanted to try anything else. Do whatever you like best, play around with a couple different setups, but I highly recommend taking the time to get a mesh build working properly before writing it off. It can be frustrating, but I think it pays off big. We're here to help!

3) I HIGHLY recommend the RSST as a first go at a genesis. It was the one I started on, and I still dig it out from time to time. Things like the big open deck, the spring loaded positive connection and the insulated wick hole make things a bit easier when you're first giving it a go. Also they can be had for pretty cheap which is nice when you aren't sure whether you'll like this style or not. I have a Sat22 clone, I like it, however it's definitely tougher to setup than the RSST due to the tiny chamber and deck you have to work with. Haven't used a NextGen but have heard that they can be finicky to get working right. Another one to consider (though more expensive and a bit smaller work space) is the DID from MMV. These are probably what you'll find on my mech most days, are pretty bullet proof, and provide a bit better performance than the RSST (IMO).

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona

Miles I only a hard case when people keep shouting user error when I know darn well what I did and more importantly DID NOT DO. Some people actef offended that I was giving a bad Lemo 2 down the road when so many people were happy with them.

Rush Limbaugh calls himself a harmless little fuzz ball.

I was named Mato Nupai (Two Bears) for a reason. The two distinctive sides of my nature.

1. A harmless teddy bear.
2. An 1100 pound Grizzly.

I have a lot in common with Dr Banner in " The Incredible Hulk" when the actor Bill Bixby said "Mr. McGee don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me angry" most of the people that woke up the Grizzly deeply regretted it.

I may look small and helpless but I am anything but.

Ever hear the saying don't ever pick a fight with a little guy. While you are fighting him; he will be trying to kill you.

I AM THAT LITTLE GUY! Hold belts in Aikido, Ate Waza, Jiu Jitsu, Judo, The Kwan Do. If I were 35 years younger I would be fighting MMA. I just refuse to let people run over me.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
The Sat22 has one of the tightest draws of any genesis I've tried, it's been a while since I've tried a Kayfun of any sort but I believe it may be tighter than those as well.

Here's my three answers:
1) I've always used 400 or 500 mesh in my gennies, never really had a problem with wicking. You'll probably be rebuilding it several times before you settle in on a build you like so it may worth picking up a variety to experiment with. You'll likely get a pretty wide range of recommendations for this one, and it can depend on which atty you're trying to use.

2) Will a genesis atomizer work with a cotton/rayon/non-mesh wick? Absolutely. Some people swear by this setup. Some people will also berate you on here for even suggesting putting cotton in a genesis. :rolleyes: I've always used mesh in mine, and a lot of the things I like about this style of atomizer come from the properties of a mesh wick so I've never really wanted to try anything else. Do whatever you like best, play around with a couple different setups, but I highly recommend taking the time to get a mesh build working properly before writing it off. It can be frustrating, but I think it pays off big. We're here to help!

3) I HIGHLY recommend the RSST as a first go at a genesis. It was the one I started on, and I still dig it out from time to time. Things like the big open deck, the spring loaded positive connection and the insulated wick hole make things a bit easier when you're first giving it a go. Also they can be had for pretty cheap which is nice when you aren't sure whether you'll like this style or not. I have a Sat22 clone, I like it, however it's definitely tougher to setup than the RSST due to the tiny chamber and deck you have to work with. Haven't used a NextGen but have heard that they can be finicky to get working right. Another one to consider (though more expensive and a bit smaller work space) is the DID from MMV. These are probably what you'll find on my mech most days, are pretty bullet proof, and provide a bit better performance than the RSST (IMO).

Thank you very very much for the advice. So that is two votes for the Rsst.

Do you know anything about the Nectar Genesis atty.

I saw one of those over at Fasttech.

Last time I looked at the Sat 22. I saw the airflow was tiny like .5 mm. Not much larger than pin holes.

TheOnyxEgg

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2014
Minneapolis, MN, USA
Never looked in to the Nectar.

Once I found a handful of gennies that I liked I kind of got over my G.A.S. (Gear Acquistion Syndrome), I currently have a Sat22, DID, RSST, and a Pulse that all see moderate use. Though like I said, I most often find myself using the DID.

With the RSST, I ended up drilling out the air hole to 1/16th and have been happy with that decision. It's the only atty that I have so little invested in that I don't feel bad taking a drill or dremel to it as I can replace it so cheaply if something goes horribly wrong. :) After drilling it out, it's the RSST and Pulse that put out the biggest clouds (and really chew through the juice). The DID seems to be a nice compromise between high airflow/big clouds and the smaller chamber/tight draw "flavor focused" attys. As always, it's all super subjective and ymmv.

windxrunner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Portland, OR
The Nectar is more designed for cotton. My first genesis was a Nahualon and I loved that thing. Pretty easy to set up, and the fill plug makes it not leak. Mine was an authentic but I bet you could find a clone of it if you are into clones. If you want an authentic, I'd definitely go for the RSST. As far as the NextGen goes, it's super, super easy to set up. I can't figure out, for the life of me, why people think it's difficult.

I'd suggest using 325 mesh. It's middle of the road, I have total success with 325 on higher PG or higher VG.

I basically almost exclusively use mesh, and the most important things are: making sure the wire is snug up against the wick in all places; oxidizing the mesh really well with a butane torch before installing; keeping your legs of your coil as short as possible. If you have any questions I'll always do my best to answer them.

milescadre

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Miles I only a hard case when people keep shouting user error when I know darn well what I did and more importantly DID NOT DO. Some people actef offended that I was giving a bad Lemo 2 down the road when so many people were happy with them.

Rush Limbaugh calls himself a harmless little fuzz ball.

I was named Mato Nupai (Two Bears) for a reason. The two distinctive sides of my nature.

1. A harmless teddy bear.
2. An 1100 pound Grizzly.

I have a lot in common with Dr Banner in " The Incredible Hulk" when the actor Bill Bixby said "Mr. McGee don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me angry" most of the people that woke up the Grizzly deeply regretted it.

I may look small and helpless but I am anything but.

Ever hear the saying don't ever pick a fight with a little guy. While you are fighting him; he will be trying to kill you.

I AM THAT LITTLE GUY! Hold belts in Aikido, Ate Waza, Jiu Jitsu, Judo, The Kwan Do. If I were 35 years younger I would be fighting MMA. I just refuse to let people run over me.

Funny, you wit for your quips til others watch the thread. learned my lesson, wont help ya no more.

I really have nothing more to say on the matter. I wish you the best of luck, although I dont know if even that would help.

And no, I didnt read the post I just quoted I really have no desire. You're dragging a dead matter into another thread and beating it senseless.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Funny, you wit for your quips til others watch the thread. learned my lesson, wont help ya no more.

I really have nothing more to smay on the matter. I wish you the best of luck, although I dont know if even that would help.

And no, I didnt read the post I just quoted I really have no desire. You're dragging a dead matter into another thread and beating it senseless.
If that's your decision that's your decision.
I just tried to tell you that I was not what you thought I was.
I just don't accept fools gladly and not politically correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread