Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
The outer wire does not factor noticeably into the final resistance, so 5 wraps 2.5mm ID comes out to about 0.4 ohms. This will not be 100% accurate, but close enough for government work. There is a wire wizard section if you want to model the final coil more accurately.

Wire wizard

Reactions: Taowulf

Taowulf

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Bend OR
You need the Wire Wizard tab.

Wire wizard

Unlike the coil wrapping page, you don't set it at your desired resistance. Instead, pick the type of coil, then the wires you are using for the core and the wrap since it is a Clapton. Then go to the top section, set the ID and how many wraps. It starts at 8, so if that is too high, start dropping wraps until the resistance changes to what you want.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I'm guessing you are using a dual 18650 regulated device rather than a mechanical.
If so the coil resistance is unimportant unless it is outside the operating parameters of the box, in which case it will give an error message and refuse to fire.

What IS relevant is the wattage you are using, and that it is not pulling amperage that is in excess of the CDR of the batteries you are using. 45W is about 6 amps per battery charged, and about 7.5 amps when they are discharged.
Have a read below showing how to calculate this and why.

Ohms Law - Calculating safe amp usage | E-Cigarette Forum
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/ohms-law-calculating-safe-amp-usage.7562/
What batteries are you using?

nedwood

May 28, 2016
Worcestershire
I'm guessing you are using a dual 18650 regulated device rather than a mechanical.
If so the coil resistance is unimportant unless it is outside the operating parameters of the box, in which case it will give an error message and refuse to fire.

What IS relevant is the wattage you are using, and that it is not pulling amperage that is in excess of the CDR of the batteries you are using. 45W is about 6 amps per battery charged, and about 7.5 amps when they are discharged.
Have a read below showing how to calculate this and why.

Ohms Law - Calculating safe amp usage | E-Cigarette Forum
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/ohms-law-calculating-safe-amp-usage.7562/
What batteries are you using?
I'm using efest 2500mah 35a 3.7v

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Efest are a rewrapper. They take castoffs from the main battery manufacturers like Sony and LG, rewrap them with inflated specs on the label and market them at vapers. They are also proven to change the cell under the wrap without notice. Yours could be 20 amp CDR, they could be 10 amp or less, one thing for sure they are not 35 amp because such an 18650 does not exist. I strongly recommend you recycle them and shell out 25 or so quid on four LG HG2 or Samsung 30Q, giving you reliability, peace of mind, and known tested specification.

image-jpeg.555235

Reactions: bongobreak

nedwood

May 28, 2016
Worcestershire
Efest are a rewrapper. They take castoffs from the main battery manufacturers like Sony and LG, rewrap them with inflated specs on the label and market them at vapers. They are also proven to change the cell under the wrap without notice. Yours could be 20 amp CDR, they could be 10 amp or less, one thing for sure they are not 35 amp because such an 18650 does not exist. I strongly recommend you recycle them and spend $20 on four LG HG2 or Samsung 30Q, giving you reliability, peace of mind, and known tested specification.

image-jpeg.555235
So what should I get? Using a dual box mod and doubtful Il build lower than 0.2

bongobreak

Mar 18, 2016
Norfolk, England
I'm fairly new to box mods and batteries (6 months or so) and I thought (was lead to believe) that Efest was an ok brand - it's all they sell in my local vape shop.

Thanks for the heads-up sonic, and although I haven't had any problems with mine yet (I bought 4 18650, 3500mAh, 20A) I'll feel a lot better with a more trusted brand - I guess I didn't do my research properly!

I'm glad we have members like sonic (and mooch) to give impartial, no-nonsense advice.

Reactions: sonicbomb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread