Status
Not open for further replies.

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States
I got the metal part in a group of things from the classies, and ordered replacement parts and pieces from HoH to try to make this work. This also happens to be my first attempt at making my own coils, but Zen makes it look so easy on his video.

I made this with the mesh and wire that came with the parts kits, but when I try to fire it I get an open code on my Provari mini and my Radius. Can you tell from the photos if I made something wrong? I didn't want to cut the wick until I knew I had a working coil set up, but do know it needs to be shorter when I'm ready to put the cap on.

DSCN0980.JPG
DSCN0981.JPG

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States
Did you use the same wire type (material & gauge) as the person in the video?
If it was me, I would consider this a trial run and try again. Wire is cheap.
I did use the same supplies. I ordered several kits from House of Hybrids (HoH) for the atty. The kits included several mesh wicks, the plastic sleeves, a bobbin of wire and some extra screws. I used a new plastic sleeve, a mesh wick, and the new wire to make this coil. The screws are the original ones that came with the atty.

I do have a multimeter, but wasn't sure if there was a way to test contact points to see if I had a broken circuit. These seem pretty simple, so I can't imagine that the stainless steel part isn't working, so I figure I've done something wrong. The build in the pictures is my second attempt, but the result was the same as the first one.

lil_buddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2017
Here's an idea I just had for troubleshooting...

Google the resistance/foot for your wire. Cut off a piece of the wire and estimate it's resistance based on its length. Simply connect the ends to the contacts on your tank without coiling. Can you get a resistance reading this way? (make sure nothing conductive is touching the wire and maybe make sure the wire is contacting that middle part of the pin that you screw down)

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
If you have a ProVari, you can read the build resistance off the device. The fact that you can't do that leads me to believe your 510 is not making contact, iow; it has nothing to do with the coil.

Just to be clear: you are getting an OP reading from the device?

Just FYI the wire that comes with the ZAP is 32g.

Last edited:
Reactions: cats5365

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States
If you have a ProVari, you can read the build resistance off the device. The fact that you can't do that leads me to believe your 510 is not making contact, iow; it has nothing to do with the coil.

Just to be clear: you are getting an OP reading from the device?

Just FYI the wire that comes with the ZAP is 32g.

The Radius says OP when I hit the fire button. I've also tried it on a Provari mini and get a similar reading (A0-?). I can press the pin on the atty to get it to move up and down, but haven't tried to pull on it. I'm using the screws that came with the atty to attach the coil.

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States

I haven't tried this method from the start, but I did take my wick out and just had the coil attached. The wires did not glow, and I still had the OP readings on the Radius. Is that also an indicator that the 510 isn't passing current? Does anyone have suggestions on how to check it? My multimeter is an ancient Radio Shack analog $9.99 model. I also have a coil building kit still in the vapocalypse box.

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States
I'd suggest you call HoH.

They're pretty good about helping out.
I'll shoot them an email. I think they take weekends off, but I'll give it a shot. I really want to make this little guy work since I have some juices that are pretty goopy when I run them in factory coils. When I was doing my research, I kept thinking the mesh system might be a good way to enjoy those bottles that are sitting in the fridge and save my factory coils for the ones that last several weeks on a coil.

Reactions: Zen Knitter

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States
:banana: UPDATE :banana:

I called HoH yesterday and had a nice chat with Mike as he helped me try to troubleshoot the ZAP. The problem was that current was not getting up the center post to complete the circuit. There is a long spring inside the center of the atty, and mine was coated with white crusty stuff. We weren't able to get it running during the call, but I couldn't leave it alone and kept picking at it with different tools until I got the spring out. I got everything brushed out of the coils on the spring and put it back together.

I put the test coil from the pictures above back on and :evil: happened along with :shock: after a fuzzy that got stuck on some of the wire got a bit too hot. Tip: use the mesh for wick, not cat hairs. :rolleyes:

After shifting things around and following the rest of the Provape video, I loaded it with some juice and had a nice vape going. The coil isn't perfect and pretty, but it all works and I'm happy with my first successful coil. :banana:

Thank you to everyone for your tips and suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread