1. Win Vaping gear! The ECF 15 Millionth Post contest

We are fast approaching the 15 millionth ECF post and we have a contest to celebrate this huge landmark and amazing prizes to give out to our members! Head over to the official contest thread to see the rules and check out the prizes generously pledged by our registered suppliers on the prize announcement thread.

Here's a pic of my polypropylene tank

Discussion in 'Tank Mods' started by my4jewels, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. my4jewels

my4jewels Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    For those of you who are wondering about the polypropylene tubing I've been using to replace my polycarbonate tubing on my tanks, I thought I'd post a pic for you.

This one uses a couple of liquinator caps. This tubing will fit on all of the popular tanks that use a 5/8" x 3/4" od tubing.

[​IMG]

2. oplholik

oplholik Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    That looks pretty good. Have you tried the grommets in that? Are the liquinator caps available seperately someplace?
    Thanks for sharing.

3. Hottody

Hottody Moved On ECF Veteran

Nice, I believe a tank system is a must for most vapors that want to enhance their vaping experience!

4. my4jewels

Supporting member
    The grommets are too small. They fit with so little pressure that I don't trust them. BigdaddyVapor has caps separately, but I think they're $16.99 or $17.99, still pricey though. That being said, I have a few, and this tubing works very well. I have another item coming that might work well for endcaps, I'll keep you posted on this forum. If it works, it'll be epic!

5. oplholik

oplholik Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Ok, looking forward to another update. I remember in another thread you mentioned ordering some similar looking caps.

6. Dan Patrick

Dan Patrick Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

That's pretty cool. So are you cutting these yourself? Any finishing techniques? Are they soft and squishy?

7. my4jewels

Supporting member
    The polypropylene tubing is very stiff, slightly curved, but, when cut to short lengths, it makes no difference, as you can see. Yes, I am cutting them myself with a pipe cutter, easy peasy.

8. MustangSallie

MustangSallie Mistress Blabber Mouth Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Where are you getting the tubing from?

9. my4jewels

Supporting member
  10. MustangSallie

MustangSallie Mistress Blabber Mouth Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Thanks jewels. :)

11. thehangdude

thehangdude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

jewels, How much is their shipping charges? I was going to try a couple feet, but if shipping is like $10...

12. Adeem

Adeem Senior Member ECF Veteran

I find that the grommets are much tighter once the carto is in the middle. Try it you'll see what I mean. I also use o-rings in the indendation of the grommets, 7/16 id 5/8 od are the right size for the o-rings.

For anyone interested in trying grommets make sure you get vinyl not rubber. You'll taste the rubber. Radio Shack sells vinyl grommets.

13. thehangdude

thehangdude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Or you can get six free vinyl grommets from here.
    Vinyl Grommet
    You want GV.7/16 to fit the tubing. The GV 7/16 are 5/16" inner for carto and 5/8" outer with O-ring slot. Don't ask me why they are called GV 7/16, unless that's the interior O-ring dimension.

I use 1/2" X 5/8" O-rings. They fit about the same, but are way easier when you change cartos.

14. Adeem

Adeem Senior Member ECF Veteran

Yes its the o-ring dimension, hence o-rings of 7/16 id 5/8 od. The reason they refer to that is because they're really meant for feeding wire through a panel. 7/16 would be the hole in the panel that the grommet would pop into. Someone (I think Vermonster13) just realized that they work for end-caps for our tubes.

15. my4jewels

Supporting member
    As I recall, their shipping was very reasonable. I ordered 4-1' pieces, and the total was only $9.80.

16. my4jewels

Supporting member
    Sorry, I just don't trust them. I did try 1 tank using these grommets, and it came apart(wasn't using the O rings). One of the grommets slid sideways, and the rest is history. It just doesn't seem that there is enough of the grommet making contact with the tube for good enough security. Perhaps if the grommet were thicker, I'd have more confidence. Just my .02 on these grommets. YMMV. :)

I have another idea for endcaps using the polypropylene tubing, waiting on UPS. Someone(can't remember) suggested to use these, Q Slip Joint Washer Bag # 38809B by Danco Company. Before they are placed on the tube, they seem perfect. You need to put the carto into one of the the washers, push the washer into the tubing, and then push the other washer on. It works, it's extremely secure, and it looks good, but it's too tight to do a hot switch, and refilling needs to be done with a syringe.

So, I have a different size coming, P Slip Joint Washer Bag # 38808B by Danco Company. I am hoping that this size will allow for easier refilling and hot switching of cartos.

It'll either be an epic fail or an epic win... I will post my findings.

17. Carless

Carless Super Member ECF Veteran

If you do a search on "shoulder washers" you might find what you are looking for for the end caps. I've been looking at them, but am unsure of the size needed.

18. Carless

Carless Super Member ECF Veteran

[​IMG]

If anyone could give me the needed dimensions for this thing, I will source it and post my findings here.

ETA: Never mind. I figured it out.

19. escaladedude

escaladedude Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

big daddy caps also work very nice! Howd you get that frosted look? I found the big daddy steel caps that u can pick up pretty cheaply just the caps work very nice with the tubing. Thanks for posting this !! :D

20. Dan Patrick

Dan Patrick Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I believe that frosted look is just how she ordered the tube. Looks awesome. I wonder if Lowe's has anything like it.

: madvapes
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.