Hi All - from a shaken up Provari AW 18490 battery owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightboy

Sep 25, 2013
London, UK
Hi Doug and welcome to ECF. I'm terribly sorry for your terrifying ordeal and I'm glad you (and your backpack) are OK.

I always store my spare batteries in a special pouch. I highly recommended you get something similar and never, ever just toss a charged battery into a soft pocket of your backpack--I suspect that a little fabric will not protect your battery from coming in contact with other objects you carry in your bag:

Battery Cases : Nylon Battery Case w/ Carabiner

And a bit more info on basic battery safety:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/129569-rechargeable-batteries.html#post2029353

Thanks for the advice Katya, I'll certainly see if I can get hold of that kind of case in the UK. It was terrifying! my bag is toast and I'm embarrassed that I nearly evacuated the entire office... but very glad no one got hurt :)

Johnnysb

Moved On
Sep 25, 2013
San Jose, CA
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Linkspammer

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Just my :2c: I ALWAYS store my batts in a plastic battery holder. I decided this after a charger/ battery mishap which opened my eyes to the power of these batteries and potential damage if not handled properly.
Personally speaking these issues happen albeit rarely...I just don't want to be that rare occurrence.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
The battery was nowhere near the PV!! They were in completely separate compartments. That's why I'm so shocked at provapes response.

There is one, soft, cushioned pocket in my rucksack, it had some plastic pens, a plastic smart card and two aw 18490s. One of them exploded for no obvious reason.

Why do you expect a response from Provape for batteries stored in your rucksack pocket away from the PV? I guess you purchased the batteries from them, huh? Well, they just resell them. But since it has nothing to do with the PV, being all "shocked" is...over the top. I mean, what else are they going to say? Of course, they'll say "use safe battery practices."

Besides, how old are they? Were they brand new? Were they ever used in other mods? etc.

If vendors started sending you a case of batteries everytime there was some "Vent" posing on ECF...guess what would happen? There'd be a rash of sudden "venting" as people needed new batteries.

So...you can blame the manufacturer (AW in your case) or yourself, but I don't see how you could be mad at provape unless you think they damaged the batteries.

Just :2c:

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
Nah, the battery was with another one, out of the mod, in a soft pocket in my rucksack. Shorting or mod failure was not possible!

Can't even vape without worrying it'll explode in my hand, let alone charging or storing them.

This little quote from the first post seems to contradict this:
He had the battery loose with another battery. The other battery is definitely " metal stored in the cushioned pocket"...

kaiser74

Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
new milford ct usa
lithium batteries are dangerous. think these li-ions are bad you should see what a li-poly can do. li-poly can discharge @100's of amps in the blink of an eye. we use them with electric rc race cars and they are no joke. any lithium battery can fail. the joyetech types are probably the safest i have seen.
li-ions have been "blowing up" in lap tops and cell phones for years. it's not an e-cig issue and i hope the media will realize this when these stories get more common, and they will as vaping gets more popular.

bottom line, respect lithium batteries and store them properly. it's all you can do.

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
Nah, the battery was with another one, out of the mod, in a soft pocket in my rucksack. Shorting or mod failure was not possible!

Can't even vape without worrying it'll explode in my hand, let alone charging or storing them.

This little quote from the first post seems to contradict this:

The battery was nowhere near the PV!! They were in completely separate compartments. That's why I'm so shocked at provapes response.

There is one, soft, cushioned pocket in my rucksack, it had some plastic pens, a plastic smart card and two aw 18490s. One of them exploded for no obvious reason.
lightboy........sighs..........

What's the other battery that didn't explode made of?

What does it have at either end?

And that's how we make batteries vent..... Just be happy it was a Li-mn..

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
lithium batteries are dangerous. think these li-ions are bad you should see what a li-poly can do. li-poly can discharge @100's of amps in the blink of an eye. we use them with electric rc race cars and they are no joke. any lithium battery can fail. the joyetech types are probably the safest i have seen.
li-ions have been "blowing up" in lap tops and cell phones for years. it's not an e-cig issue and i hope the media will realize this when these stories get more common, and they will as vaping gets more popular.

bottom line, respect lithium batteries and store them properly. it's all you can do.

Yeah, that's why we don't recommend LiPO...we suggest protected Li-Ion (of various types...like Lithium Cobalt?) or IMR for e-cigs. Still, like you say, caution is warranted.

There's still battery mishaps. With "eGo types" and with removable.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Thanks for the advice Katya, I'll certainly see if I can get hold of that kind of case in the UK. It was terrifying! my bag is toast and I'm embarrassed that I nearly evacuated the entire office... but very glad no one got hurt :)
I'll repeat, I'm glad you or no one else was hurt. Sorry about your toasted book bag and your embarrassment, too. This was a wake-up call for you and you hopefully learned something very important. Always store your spare batteries in a protected, non-metalic container and store them apart so that their metalic ends can not touch each other.

I know the incident that I shared about my battery blowing up in my mod was a wake-up call for me. It's probably why I have been so die-hard about battery safety on this forum. When it actually happens to you, you never forget it. My battery was a protected Li Ion, so it was a more dangerous battery than yours. We were both lucky. My battery could have caused a fire at my place of work, and I could possibly have been fired for being responsible for the fire.

I've not seen you make a statement yet in this thread absolving Provape of any responsibility for this mishap. You came down on them pretty hard like they had something to do with the exploding battery, and you have yet to retract those statements.

:confused:

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Why do you expect a response from Provape for batteries stored in your rucksack pocket away from the PV? I guess you purchased the batteries from them, huh? Well, they just resell them. But since it has nothing to do with the PV, being all "shocked" is...over the top. I mean, what else are they going to say? Of course, they'll say "use safe battery practices."

Besides, how old are they? Were they brand new? Were they ever used in other mods? etc.

If vendors started sending you a case of batteries everytime there was some "Vent" posing on ECF...guess what would happen? There'd be a rash of sudden "venting" as people needed new batteries.

So...you can blame the manufacturer (AW in your case) or yourself, but I don't see how you could be mad at provape unless you think they damaged the batteries.

Just :2c:

Just so you know business are held to a higher standards than individuals. Businesses that recommend other businesses or items can be responsible for products or services that are recommended at their store or website.

As far as the ordeal, glad there was nothing major and no 6:00 pm ecigs are going to blow up the world news bit.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Just so you know business are held to a higher standards than individuals. Businesses that recommend other businesses or items can be responsible for products or services that are recommended at their store or website.

As far as the ordeal, glad there was nothing major and no 6:00 pm ecigs are going to blow up the world news bit.

Yeah, but since AW's are among the most highly regarded, IDK how provape could be held to any form of negligence for recommending them. You'd have to prove that AW brand was bad to recommend. I don't see that happening. Any battery can fail from any manufacturer. Particularly if shorted or banged around. So.... since we don't know the cause........

Maybe I don't get the impact of your observation.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Properly charged, undamaged IMR cells don't just decide to go pow! by themselves. It's also difficult to determine what materials were present to complete the circuit and cause the battery to vent. Some synthetic fibers and materials are nonmetallic but still capable of conductivity.

I don't usually carry spare batteries because the only mod I use removable rechargeable batteries with pretty much stays home. However, I've used everything from washcloths to ziplock bags to the little plastic battery storage box thingies to carry them back and forth between here and the place at the beach.

I got the washcloth idea from a guy I used to do disaster response work with. Roll'em up, pack'em up and you're good to go.

redeyes24321

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2013
Colorado
Fact is, new vapors are starting out with mech mods loaded with sub-ohm coils set up by B&M vendors, without a word about safety. Some of these customers haven't a clue about ohms, amperage, hard-shorts, hot spots, let alone know about battery safety. There was one of these noobs who began posting wondering why his hot spring was collapsing and why his mod and battery were getting so hot.

We're going to be seeing more and more of these situations as more novices start out with mods and skip the cigalike and ego stages altogether.

We need stickies at the top of the New Members Forum with topics on mod and battery safety.

Speaking of which, where's our Forum Administrator? He hasn't posted since June. Who's running the show here?

I also think that when you purchase any kind of battery, they should be shipped with a warning, and instructions on safe use. This would not only be good for the user, but also the companies selling and manufacturing the batteries because I see many lawsuits in the future the more popular e cigs get.

Last edited:

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Funny, I've been a member of a flashlight community since 2007, was reading well before then, but when a battery goes boom over there I don't hear "This company sucks, I should sue them!". I hear "WOW, I was really lucky when I screwed up last night!" Or "Gee, I've got to be more careful to match batteries in the future so this doesn't happen again!"

nomeX

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2013
HTX, USA
Funny, I've been a member of a flashlight community since 2007, was reading well before then, but when a battery goes boom over there I don't hear "This company sucks, I should sue them!". I hear "WOW, I was really lucky when I screwed up last night!" Or "Gee, I've got to be more careful to match batteries in the future so this doesn't happen again!"

Yes, but you have to remember who makes up the flashlight community. For the most part these are people who are usually self-reliant folks who are using flashlights to complement other tools they have. Those folks are usually interested in getting the best gear possible. Otherwise, they'd just get a Mag-lite and be done with it. The flashlight community usually goes hand in hand with the firearms/knife/self-defense community - folks that are "the buck stops here, I can only rely on myself - types."

Vapers are made up of a huge cross-section of people. We are cigarette smokers, cigar smokers, pipe smokers, hookah smokers, heck, maybe even non-smokers. That cross-section alone will give you different approaches to vaping.

This incident could have happened to anyone using these batteries. The take home message is, store batteries properly. I will.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
I agree with the sentiment, and the message, Nomex. I'm just saying it's PREACHED in those forums just how dangerous these batteries are and how you need to care and feed them properly! I was literally scared to death of them for the longest time because of the stories I'd heard!
As for the flashlight world, yes, it is a tool, a very good tool to have! Most people here freak out about the price of some of these PV's, I daily carry a $140 flashlight, HDS Systems: EDC High CRI 120 lumens flashlight, EDC Clicky Flashlight, EDC High CRI Flashlight, EDC-E1S-Hcri A lot of these mods are dirt cheap in comparison!

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Yeah, but since AW's are among the most highly regarded, IDK how provape could be held to any form of negligence for recommending them. You'd have to prove that AW brand was bad to recommend. I don't see that happening. Any battery can fail from any manufacturer. Particularly if shorted or banged around. So.... since we don't know the cause........

Maybe I don't get the impact of your observation.

Your correct. You are also speculating from what the OP described. I can't clearly tell what happened. To automatically rule it out is just not right. I have had great experiences with my AWs. I also like my panny Pds.

I have no impact other than he has justification if the product was defective and could take action against them. No I don't know what action because I am not an attorney but my field did make me take a bunch of business law courses.

The OP has the right to their opinion considering it happened to him/her, I believe his/hers is the first hand account. You have been around here longer than I have. Many of us learned from our own mistakes and others, who have been gracious to share those experiences. Which I am especially appreciative of.

My point though.. is businesses are held to a different standard. They can be held responsible for products they recommend. It is up to the OP to prove that. Just because they only recommend an item doesn't entirely release them from indemnification. That is why almost every single high end Mod provider recommends AW. They are considered the safest and best by the ecig vaping mod community (whatever term you wish to give yourself).

I never once stated I agree with the laws on product liability. Heck who would have though someone would sue McDonald for a cup of hot coffee.

Defective Product Liability Claims: Who to Sue? | Nolo.com

What is Product Liability? - FindLaw

When a product is defective the whole chain from Manufacturing to End User can be sued. Of course they have to prove it in a court of law. Then the judge has to agree with it.

I can't tell what happened by looking at the pics. The one looks like it exploded in the battery casing. I don't care if it is an Otto Carver special or a 10 dollar fast tech clone.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Properly charged, undamaged IMR cells don't just decide to go pow! by themselves. It's also difficult to determine what materials were present to complete the circuit and cause the battery to vent. Some synthetic fibers and materials are nonmetallic but still capable of conductivity.

I don't usually carry spare batteries because the only mod I use removable rechargeable batteries with pretty much stays home. However, I've used everything from washcloths to ziplock bags to the little plastic battery storage box thingies to carry them back and forth between here and the place at the beach.

I got the washcloth idea from a guy I used to do disaster response work with. Roll'em up, pack'em up and you're good to go.

I personally have a plastic case for each battery. I carry egos when out and about. I carry my egos in a eyeglass case made out of all plastic with a rubber piece down the middle to keep the two ego types separated.

My removables stay at home in each plastic case on top of my workbench in the basement where only I can reach in a cookie sheet fortified redneck plastic crate.. I have a fire extinguisher next to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread