AW IMR Batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fjg123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2011
Riverside, CA
So I know that when using mechanicals your not supposed to cheap out and buy the crappy batteries from just anywhere. I hear that trustfire batts, even though they are protected, are not great. Ive heard that Efest batteries are good, from e cig city #4 my local vape shop. I have some more 18650 AW IMR batts from e cig city as well but theres no name on them. The only way to discern them is their color and size. They are red. Now my local vape shop is out of 18500 or 490, whatever, size batteries, so what should I look for when searching through amazon or other vape sites for batteries? Just AW IMR batteries? Ive read that these are the most advanced and probably the safest batteries (as safe as LI-ion can get) available. On amazon they have some Panasonic and Tenergy batts that come up when searching AW IMR, but I just wanna be safe. Whats your guys' thoughts on the best place to buy batts and which are the safest? thank you fellow vapers

fjg123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2011
Riverside, CA
oo yes and what about the Mah? All of mine are 2000mah and I know from my days of racing lil rc cars that the more Mahs the longer it will last, however, I have a 3000mah trust fire batt that is about 5mm longer than my 2000mah and it only fits in my telescopic mod. Is there any danger is using a batt with more Mah? Im using silver contacts on several of my mods but my primary mod is my poldiac.

Fury83

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Nowhere
Trustfires are not anything I would use. Not much else to say about them.

Efests IMR's are good batteries.

AW's are my preferred 18490 and 18350, I have literally nothing else. Worth the money to me, never had an issue with them and they are pretty much known to be great batteries.

For 18650's I prefer Panasonics Hi Drain offerings, the CGR18650CH and the NCR18650PD. The latter is 2900mah, so that's a plus. AW IMR, Efest IMR, Mnke IMR are all good in this size. A few others that are not much sold here too. The panasonics can be found cheap, just make sure you get the right model number.

Also, there are a lot of red IMR's, if your's don't have an AW sticker, they aren't even pretending to be one.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I used only AW IMRs for a long time. Lately I have added some Efest IMRs to my battery rotation, because of a local vendor who stocks them. I see no difference between the AWs and the Efests, at this point; although my Efests are newer, so time will tell. Personally, I'll never use anything that ends in "...fire". Another battery I received one time in a kit, that I found totally useless were EH IMRs. Aptly named, because the performance was eh.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
mAh is the rating that a manufacturer places on a battery as the advertised expectation of how long a battery will last between charges. The more reputable battery manufacturerer's (AW, Panasonic) estimates are more realistic than the lesser known or no-brand batteries which likely inflate the mAh rating to entice sales. I wouldn't place too much importance on the mAh rating, in my opinion.

100 mAh = 1 hour battery use. So 600 mAh = 6 hours battery use (on average).

I suggest buying batteries and chargers from RTD Vapor. They sell genuine, brand-name batteries that are generally well-stocked and usually at a very competitive price.

Personally, I use only AW brand IMR batteries for both my regulated and unregulated PV's. Pila, Xtar, and Nitecore are the more reputable charger brands and well worth the few extra dollars. I have had a Pila charger and a couple of AW IMR 18650 that have been going strong for over a year now.

Last edited:

Fury83

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Nowhere
mAh is the rating that a manufacturer places on a battery as the advertised expectation of how long a battery will last between charges. The more reputable battery manufacturerer's (AW, Panasonic) estimates are more realistic than the lesser known or no-brand batteries which likely inflate the mAh rating to entice sales. I wouldn't place too much importance on the mAh rating, in my opinion.

100 mAh = 1 hour battery use. So 600 mAh = 6 hours battery use (on average).

I suggest buying batteries and chargers from RTD Vapor. They sell genuine, brand-name batteries that are generally well-stocked and usually at a very competitive price.

Personally, I use only AW brand IMR batteries for both my regulated and unregulated PV's. Pila, Xtar, and Nitecore are the more reputable charger brands and well worth the few extra dollars. I have had a Pila charger and a couple of AW IMR 18650 that have been going strong for over a year now.

People often overlook the chargers, very important piece of the puzzle.

fjg123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2011
Riverside, CA
I use a trust fire charger, and I'm completely dissatisfied with it. It takes approximately 4 hours to charge a dead 350.... And more than 8 hours for a 650. My buddy got a tenergy quick charger in a package with a provari. This thing charges insanely fast compared to my trust fire. About an hour for a 650 and although it doesn't say not to use 350s it can charge them in about a half hour. I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to battery life but won't charging them this fast be bad for the life of the battery? I've heard of these other chargers someone above talked about but they're a bit pricey. The tenergy I found is 15 on amazon. Do these other high end chargers charge equally as fast? Or just give a more solid charge?

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
the Pila charges faster than my Trustfire TR-003P4 which is a good charger imo... 4 channels and spring loaded so it will charge any size.
Pila, has 2 channels and needs spacers for shorter batts, but overall it is a better charger...
both have safety feature that batts won't overcharge if you forget about it.
Never skimp on batts and chargers...

I stick with AW IMR because they are a proven standard, and in my experience the efest don't last as long... (i had 18350's which are easy to compare because they have small mah anyway.)

IMR is "safe chemistry" and required for LR vaping...they are also called "hi-drain" meaning they will put out what the atomizer needs with low resistance.
The 1600 AW IMR tests out better for output than the 2000.
MNKE costs more, but the 2 18650's i got don't last as long as the AW IMR 1600s...

I saw a graph of efest doing as well or better than AW... in my experience i didn't get that...

"don't last as long" ... i mean faster drop-off performance-wise.

Last edited:

Riverboat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2012
Arizona
Pila + AWs........you cant go wrong........ Yes the Pila is that good, charges correctly, and never overchargers..
Your batteries will last longer(charge cycles) when using the Pila.......I have had mine for almost 3 years... AW's have a proven track record...My pair of AW IMR 2000 mah batteries have been used in a Provari for the last 11 months every single day, they still hold charge for a full day and a half of heavy vaping..
2 best places to buy them:
Genuine AW Batteries at RTD Vapor use code ECF5
Super T ~ Batteries

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Pila + AWs........you cant go wrong........ Yes the Pila is that good, charges correctly, and never overchargers..
Your batteries will last longer(charge cycles) when using the Pila.......I have had mine for almost 3 years... AW's have a proven track record...My pair of AW IMR 2000 mah batteries have been used in a Provari for the last 11 months every single day, they still hold charge for a full day and a half of heavy vaping..
2 best places to buy them:
Genuine AW Batteries at RTD Vapor use code ECF5
Super T ~ Batteries
I read somewhere that the special algorhythms that the Pila charger uses can enhance the overall lifetime of high quality batteries. I have no idea if this is true in real life, but... I've had my Pila and 2 or 3 AW IMR 18650 batteries for over a year now. Both the charger and the batteries are as good now as when they were first purchased. Both the batteries and charger are used on a daily basis. I'm pretty impressed and have no regrets shelling out the extra bucks for the Pila.

I charge 18350 AW IMR's for my Mini Provari and Ovale V8 in an Xtar MP2 charger and the Pila. I've not timed them on a clock, but I can tell you the Pila charges these batteries significantly faster than the Xtar.

bryphi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
Trustfires are not anything I would use. Not much else to say about them.

Efests IMR's are good batteries.

AW's are my preferred 18490 and 18350, I have literally nothing else. Worth the money to me, never had an issue with them and they are pretty much known to be great batteries.

For 18650's I prefer Panasonics Hi Drain offerings, the CGR18650CH and the NCR18650PD. The latter is 2900mah, so that's a plus. AW IMR, Efest IMR, Mnke IMR are all good in this size. A few others that are not much sold here too. The panasonics can be found cheap, just make sure you get the right model number.

Also, there are a lot of red IMR's, if your's don't have an AW sticker, they aren't even pretending to be one.

Trustfires are junk, they even look like junk. I can't believe people use those.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Trustfires are junk, they even look like junk. I can't believe people use those.

I agree....

Trustfire2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread