High Capacity Battery Shootout at 10A -- Bench Test Results...surprising winners!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    This is a shootout of batteries I've tested with high rated capacities (3000mAh or higher) or that are often recommended for use with low power vaping setups. Only the batteries that can be used at these discharge current levels without exceeding my 100°C safety limit will be shown.

Even though we don't discharge our batteries continuously when vaping we need to try to keep our batteries from venting in case a regulated mods autofires or the button on a mech mod breaks or gets stuck on. This is the reason for the 100°C safety limit on the battery's temperature. If the temperature rose above that in my testing (at the shootout's current level), it will not be included here.

Being in this shootout does not mean that the battery will still last a long time before you need to replace it! The graph only shows how each of the included batteries performs when discharged at 10A. You can use this graph to select a battery for longest run time, highest voltage, or a combination of both.

For more information regarding which batteries can be used at certain discharge current levels, see my 18650 Safety Grades table: 18650 Safety Grades -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum

Disclaimer
    The conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion. Carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them. My safety precautions are the ones I have selected to take and you should not assume they will protect you if you attempt to do any testing. Do the research and create your own testing methods and safety precautions.

Caution: You are responsible for your own safety! This graph is only meant as one step for you to use in narrowing down the best choices for the way you vape. Do not use it as the only source of information when picking a battery to use! This is especially true if you intend to use a battery at over 50% of its continuous current rating. I am not responsible for any damage or injury sustained by anyone using this graph to select a battery.

Shootout Results With 3.0V Cutoff
    image.jpg

Batteries In This Shootout (links to my tests of each)
    LG INR18650-HG2 20A 3000mAh Bench Test Results | E-Cigarette Forum

LG MH1 10A 3200mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...safe at 10A but suffers damage | E-Cigarette Forum

LG MJ1 10A 3500mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...an ok 10A battery | E-Cigarette Forum

Panasonic CGR18650CH 10A 2250mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...a so-so 10A battery | E-Cigarette Forum

Panasonic NCR18650GA 10A 3300mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...a great 10A battery | E-Cigarette Forum

Panasonic NCR18650PF 10A 2680mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...a great battery, beats MH1 and MJ1 | E-Cigarette Forum

Samsung INR18650-30Q 15A 3000mAh Bench Test Results | E-Cigarette Forum

Comments
    • Surprisingly, the 30Q and HG2 were the obvious winners of this shootout over the higher capacity MH1, MJ1, and NCR18650GA. The HG2 lasted a bit longer than the 30Q.
    • The NCR18650GA was the best performing over-3000mAh/10A-rated cell.
    • The NCR18650PF did very well considering its 2680mAh rating (often rated as high as 2900mAh by some vendors).
    • The MH1 and MJ1 were average performers, not lasting as long as other lower-capacity cells.
    • The CGR18650CH performed the worst in this shootout but that was not unexpected considering its lower capacity.

Monotremata

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2014
    Fontana, CA
    monotremata.bandcamp.com
    The 30Qs or the HG2s are going to be my next purchase but I cant make up my mind!! I love my 25Rs where my HE2/4s have all gone to crap capacity wise compared to em. My builds dont ever top 6A in either a regulated or a mech. That leave me plenty of headroom ampwise so it sounds like I should give the LGs another shot since what I really need now is more runtime? Or should I give that Panasonic GA a shot even though its got a lower amp rating??

Reactions: Mooch

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    The 30Qs or the HG2s are going to be my next purchase but I cant make up my mind!! I love my 25Rs where my HE2/4s have all gone to crap capacity wise compared to em. My builds dont ever top 6A in either a regulated or a mech. That leave me plenty of headroom ampwise so it sounds like I should give the LGs another shot since what I really need now is more runtime? Or should I give that Panasonic GA a shot even though its got a lower amp rating??

In my opinion, go with the HG2.
    The capacity of the top 3 cells in this shootout are close enough that you won't see a difference in actual use. But, the higher running voltage of the HG2 will give you a bit more punch in your mech and allow for lower current draw in your reg. mod, versus the GA.

Reactions: Monotremata
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread