How do I know if I'm allergic to PG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

outflying1

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2010
Houston, TX
As some of you know I've had a sinus infection now for about a week. I've been on antibiotics for 6 days and can finally breathe and no more soar throat. Just some coughing and ears popping full of fluid.

My fear is that my sinus infection began 2 days after I started vaping...now let me finish :) My wife believes it's the ecigs I DON'T...until maybe today. I felt better and decided to do a little vaping, as I was vaping I started feeling my ears close up and my throat hurting and kind of fighting it a bit. '

My question is, is this from me being allergic to PG? or is it still just from not quite fully recovered yet?

I ask just because I still have like 8 cartos that I got with my kit and I don't know if I should just go ahead and place an order for VG cartos...the only problem is that they don't carry RY4 in VG :( Any input would be appreciated..I don't want to jump the gun and thinking that I'm allergic to PG if I'm really not.

maxx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2010
PA, USA
www.omnimaxx.com
There is a health sub-forum where it might be best to ask medical questions associated with PG.

However...I got curious about PG allergy and was researching it. Then I went around the house and started reading labels on common items (toothpaste, food dye, anti-perspirant). Many household items contain PG. So I figure if I am allergic to the stuff, I would have known about it long before e-cigs. Just my opinion....

Desertfremen

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2009
MI
I'm not sure if this is going to help any but I had a cold about a month ago? (maybe?) While I had the cold vaping was very uncomfortable. What was normally a smooth vape really irritated and felt like knives in the back of my throat. It took about a week for it to go away.

Also, whenever I forget to take my claritin for a couple of days I also start getting the sinus scratchy throat and vaping doesn't do anything to make it more comfortable either.

You can try VG, I don't think it will hurt any at all. Ironically, I've found that VG bothers my throat more than PG! VG when I don't have a cold or sinus issue feels like the PG did when I had the sore throat. :/

ETA: I also found it interesting that everyone else who got this cold ended up with a sinus infection afterwards that was so bad they had to take azithromycin to get rid of it. I didn't and I kicked it in about a week flat.

Last edited:

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
There's a lot of talk about "PG allergies". First of all, if it's really an allergy, there are very simple tests for those. It's exceedingly rare. Actually, put some plain PG on the skin of the inside of your elbow. If it's an allergy proper, you will notice exactly there, rash, itching, maybe pimples. Classic test.

Then there are people who don't tolerate it very well, also not that common. It seems to me, though, they notice when they get skin problems, particuarly, very itchy and dry skin. Also hard to miss and hard to confuse.

Everything else, from what I have read so far, has very little to do with PG. The mere fact that you smoke a lot less or nothing at all accounts for many possible symptoms. And sometimes, you just get a cold. It's that time of the year.

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
I recommend you keep a journal of what you are using. nic level, carrier, flavor, mg/ml per day. Or stop the ecigs for a couple of days and see if it clears up.
I have had ear issues that I think started when I started experimenting with VG and PEG. Flavors may also be an issue. At one point it became a painful throbbing that kept me awake at night. I now use PG unflavored and am still having issues, just not as bad. I would like to just quit this and see if it clears up, but I know I would smoke.
If you search, there are a couple of threads on ear pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread