Allergic reactions, not just to PG

Status
Not open for further replies.

VapnWitch

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2013
VA, USA
I know just from the way I feeling immediatley that I can't vape very much PG because it's very irritating for me (about 10% seems to be the max). I thought I had an allergy to PG, but I don't react to many other things containing PG (like my deodorant, for example).

So now I'm wondering if maybe it's the flavorings used in some e-liquids that is really the cause of my allergic reactions (hives, rashes, itching, etc.). I've only found four vendors that don't cause a reaction (Alice in Vapeland, Velvet Cloud Vapor, Virgin Vapor, and Potion Vape). I even reacted to HHV's "Purity" e-liquids, so now I know that it isn't just PG, it has to be something else, too.

Has anyone else had this sort of experience? Or does anyone have any idea what it could be?

bkim1

Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Los Angeles, CA, USA
I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm experiencing similar issues to what you have. For me, I was breaking out in hives, rashes, and had an insane itch in my hands whenever I would have PG, which made me switch to VG-only juice. The first juice where I really noticed a bad breakout of hives on my arm was with Alice in Vapeland, which seems to differ from you, but juices from Velvet Cloud Vapor & Pure-VG are perfectly fine for me. I also have an issue with the Purity line juices from Heather's Heavenly Vapes, which leads me to believe that it is not just PG that I'm allergic to.

Just wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone has any ideas on what this could/If the OP figured anything out since creating this thread.

Last edited:

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
The easiest way to get an answer IMO is to try vaping unflavored 100% VG juice. Then unflavored 100% PG juice. If you have a reaction to either, you will know that it is the PG or the VG. No reaction will make it more likely it is the flavorings.

Another point is that not all PG and VG are created equal. Different vendors likely use different PG and VG.

The method above should give you a very good idea of where your allergies are coming from though.

Good luck!

bkim1

Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Los Angeles, CA, USA
The easiest way to get an answer IMO is to try vaping unflavored 100% VG juice. Then unflavored 100% PG juice. If you have a reaction to either, you will know that it is the PG or the VG. No reaction will make it more likely it is the flavorings.

Another point is that not all PG and VG are created equal. Different vendors likely use different PG and VG.

The method above should give you a very good idea of where your allergies are coming from though.

Good luck!

Great idea! Thanks for responding. Do you have any suggestions for a reputable place to get good unflavored 100% PG juice?

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
Great idea! Thanks for responding. Do you have any suggestions for a reputable place to get good unflavored 100% PG juice?

I am not allergic to the PG or VG but, I do find that more than about 30% Vg makes me very congested. What I did was just used plain VG and PG (no nic) for the experiment. I use RTS Vapes for my PG/VG and nicotine as I am a DIYer.

You could get just a small bottle of each and try this. You will need to add about 10% distilled water to the VG in order to make it thin enough to vape.

http://www.rtsvapes.com/Kosher_Propylene_Glycol_s/48.htm

http://www.rtsvapes.com/Vegetable_Glycerin_s/46.htm

It looks like the smallest bottle that they offer is 60 ml. I do know that it is high quality though.

Oh, if you use the code firstorder you will get 20% off.

If you think that you would do better with the nic, they offer that in your choice of mg, PG or VG as well.

Last edited:

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
Something that I feel is worth mentioning here is that "organic" is not always best in the vaping world. Many folks think that it is always best but, organic flavors are not as stable as synthetic and I personally feel synthetic is the way to go.

Natural Vs. Artificial Flavors

Quoted from above link

He also says, “Artificial flavorings are simpler in composition and potentially safer because only safety-tested components are utilized. Another difference between natural and artificial flavorings is cost. The search for "natural" sources of chemicals often requires that a manufacturer go to great lengths to obtain a given chemical…. Furthermore, the process is costly. This pure natural chemical is identical to the version made in an organic chemist’s laboratory, yet it is much more expensive than the synthetic alternative. Consumers pay a lot for natural flavorings. But these are in fact no better in quality, nor are they safer, than their cost-effective artificial counterparts.”

I am also a firm believer of staying as low as possible on the flavoring added to the mix. Which is easy for me since I DIY.

Last edited:

bkim1

Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Awesome I'll look into the different types of flavorings used in the different juices, but VCV and Pure-VG uses natural/organic flavoring. I don't know about HHV, but I emailed them to find out. Maybe could be that I'm allergic to synthetically made flavorings, but I feel like I would have reacted to other synthetically made flavorings in foods. Anyways the RTS vape store seems like a good deal even though it is 60mL it's only $4 so I don't mind picking up that much.

Thanks again for all your help.

You might also want to verify that the manufacturers you purchase from are using Pharmaceutical Grade VG. Even food-grade VG can have trace amounts of aqueous sodium hydroxide (or other hydroxides like potassium hydroxide) in it. Hydroxide ions are caustic. In trace amounts it's okay to consume through ingestion but not safe for your lungs...

Also there could be trace amounts of soy, palm or coconut enzymes/proteins. These are allergens. It's difficult to purify these out without passing them through activated carbon or blood filters and the like. It's too expensive for enormous batches although the purification systems at many of these biorefineries are quite good. I worked with a company converting seed oils into value-added products such as novel nylons, antimicrobials, waxes, foams, detergents, cosmetic bases and ballistic panelling for the Department of Defense. The refineries were able to distill to high purity these products but they glycerin left over had a massive amount of impurities.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
That all sounds great in theory. Unfortunately, synthetic USP grade glycerine is next to impossible to buy for most if not all smaller vendors. This has some good info-

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/277267-purity-pg-vg-peg-short-version.html

Note

The only product that is guaranteed to be suitable for inhalation is a product that is (a) designated by the manufacturer as Pharmaceutical Grade, and that (b) also has a provable license for inclusion in a specific inhalable medicine. Needless to say this is virtually impossible to locate for the individual buyer. A vendor would be able to buy e.g. Dow Optim glycerine in quantity, for mixing down (or its PG equivalent), and be assured the material is suitable. This however doesn't take into account the nicotine base carrier PG or glycerine.

Last edited:

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
I've tried the unflavored VG with no problems. I already had a suspicion about PG since I have had reactions to parabeans before and they are related; vaseline, bacatracin, neosporen, some anesthetics, etc. But I'm also allergic to something else. I try some 100% vg eliquids and my mouth burns - sometimes severly. It can take up to a week to heal. I haven't had much luck trying to isolate what it might be since manufacturers are so secret about their formulas (grrrrr). The most likely appears to be cinnamon and alcohol. I am suspecting high alcohol used in non-PG flavorings. Velvet Cloud Vapors is a safe vape. I'm still exploring others.

JoanJ

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2014
WV
My son is experiencing vapers tongue or I think that is what it is... I thought that went away after a few days but he has had it for about a month. He has tried every suggestion he could find and none has helped. We started with a 70PG/30VG juice but have since gone to 50/50 and still hasnt made a difference but if he tries to vape the higher PG ones now, I notice him coughing a lot and says feels like needles in the back of his throat. He tastes nothing when he vapes it seems. Really not sure which way to turn as my understanding is that the PG is what carries most of the flavor. Yet, if it a PG problem, his taste might return and he would still taste something other than air and perhaps a bit of sweet if he tried the so called all VG juices? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

KjAthena

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa Bay
I have had problems with ONE flavor from my favorite vendor...they use the same bases so I was able to pin it down to the flavoring...I LOVED the taste but would sneeze like crazy and break out in hives...so I know flavorings can be an issue. I have a VG intolerance and can not vape more than 30VG without getting "heavy lungs" and" vapors tongue" for extended periods of time.

JoanJ

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2014
WV
I have had problems with ONE flavor from my favorite vendor...they use the same bases so I was able to pin it down to the flavoring...I LOVED the taste but would sneeze like crazy and break out in hives...so I know flavorings can be an issue. I have a VG intolerance and can not vape more than 30VG without getting "heavy lungs" and" vapors tongue" for extended periods of time.

I have noticed him sneezing more lately but no hives or rash of any sort. I have that with raspbery and 2 or 3 puffs and start getting that tinny taste in my mouth. I know the things he has been vaping pretty much all have raspberry in them but then again he has also been vaping mints and can't taste them and the same with like the creamy ice cream/custard flavors. I think we will try to find something with as little PG in it to see what happens because I know the higher PG seems to make it worse for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread