How long do attys generally last you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Hot

Apr 2, 2010
Texas
Holly vape, thats a super long time for using one Atty Red Hot,,,, I just fried my first Mini 2 ohm 801 and it was my own fault and I was really curious how long I could use it for since I haven't seen a lack of performance now in 3-4 weeks but 8-9 months on one Atty is insane. Do you vape often ? whats your use pattern. For me there is nothing like a fresh new Atty, I love breaking in a new one and using it but only until I see a lack of performance, then it hits the used Atty coffee can.

seeing I have about 8-10 different ones going all at once each with a different flavor in them I tend to go through a good bit of Atty's but once I see my used Atty can is getting filled up I then do my cleaning ritual and get em all fired up again for round two, once they lack performance after round two they hit the trash can.!
I vape daily. How much I vape per day depends on if I get distracted by the internet or life in general. Sometimes I only have time to take one long hit before bed. I actually suck at taking care of my device cuz I'm lazy :p But I learned fast, that it's beneficial to do so. I just blow out my attys whenever they seem to lag in production. I rinse them under HOT water for a few seconds and blow 'em out again. Depending on my mood, I'll either let them dry overnight or blow them out a lot before priming them for use (which I know prolly isn't good). I understand that my methods aren't as good as what's recommended, but when you're a busy college student who sucks at time management, sometimes that all we have time to do. It's either that or impatience.
I just bought a couple of attys, one is still in it's packaging. I think I'll toss my old one, cuz it's not working like it used to and have had it since I started back in March.

Last edited:

Pyloric Thinker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Campbell, CA
I am brand new. I have a Riva and the LR atties that came with the kit (EM I assume). I use Iken's 510 platinum cartos all day and in the evening I try my hand at dripping (with a fair amount of frustration) I went through the steps you provided in your second post in this thread.
I leave the atty out all night and day so it can dry. I blow out all the spent liquid. I prime with 5 drops of whatever I plan on vaping that night, wait, then apply 1 additional drop. Then I vape.

My experience is this: It works, but not as well as the cartos. I hear a gurgling sound when I vape which alway concerns me, but there's little to no liquid coming out of the batt end. The vapor I get is good, but not better than what I get with my cartos. Everyone talks about dripping like it's the only thing I should be doing and I just don't get the hype? I've tried fresh batteries, different liquids, etc. and it's just the same, but more of a pain cuz I'm always having to reach for the bottle! Can you give me any additional tips or point out things I'm not doing? You provided a ton of info, but I just can't seem to troubleshoot this thing. Thanks!

Ryan

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Ryan,

Thanks for the vote of confidence but anyone here will look after you. We are one heck of a big family.

Gurgling means a semi flooded or flooded condition. Some will disagree with me, but that is OK. I faint rolling = good.

Isaac's cartos will spoil you from any other carto out there, that is the sad truth :) but they do not replace dripping. It took me a while to get onto dripping, it is not something I like to do either, but I have to more or less now that I vape strictly VG liquids. Proper dripping will indeed bring out the true flavour of the liquid, I have found nothing to date that compares to it including bottom feeders that are currently the rage, practical yes but IMHO do not deliver the crispness as dripping does. Hence why it is so popular.

The learning curve to dripping is somewhat steep and hence why folks get discouraged early on. It need not be. The key IMO is a properly primed atty and when one requires to be topped off, to ensure the atty delivers at 100% or as close to as possible. Each atty is different and to add to the dilemma each liquid vapes differently. Do not fret, it is easy as pie once you mastered the technique.

After blowing out the primer from a new atty you will need to prime it. The following list is the recommended quantities to get you off and running:
  • 510 = 5 drops, give it a one second burst and add 2 more drops and vape away, topping off with 2 more drops as required;
  • 801 = 8 drops, a short burst and add 2 more drops and vape away, replenishing with 2-3 drops;
  • 901 = 6 drops and vape away. Replenishing with 1 drop as needed. This is probably the hardest atty to master, let alone drip with. It is very finicky between working good and flooded, one drop will do it. I know I have been there, but one that delivers extremely well when dripped properly; and
  • 306 = 7 drops, 2 quick bursts, add 2 drops and vape away, replenishing with 2 drops as required.
*Note:I remove the wick from my 306s, they simply run too hot and will burn a wick faster than you can say Jack Robinson. It is the only atty I de-wick.

Knowing when to top off is key here:
  • too much and the atty floods. Not only will it flood, it will leak out the bottom.
  • too little and you burn the wick = an atty that is no longer useful unless the wick is removed. You will never get rid of the burnt taste, unless you de-wick it;
  • some folks top off when flavour diminishes, IMO that is too soon and may (often) result in a flooded condition down the road;
  • topping off once you get the hot harsh taste, you are too late;
  • vapour production is the key factor for a top off. Knowing your liquid will let you know when to top off. It will occur 2-3 drags before the harsh taste, but depending on the liquid, 2-3 drags after the flavour started to fade.

Operating or attempting to fire an atty in a flooded condition will often result in a popped atty. Trying to drive the atty in an attempt to boil off the excess liquid will often pop it. It is better to remove the atty and blow it out than to vape through it.

Every so often, although you have done everything right, you will get a harsh taste or an off taste. This, I attribute to what I call spent liquid at the bottom of the atty. Spent liquid is liquid that has been partially vaporised but not totally and constantly exposed to heat. This is easily seen when vaping clear liquids, my menthols are crystal clear, and blowing out the atty in a tissue. The liquid is brown to dark brown. After a good blow out the atty performs at 100% thereafter and the crisp flavour has returned.

For folks that may doubt the above paragraph - why does butter burn in a pan when exposed to heat in the cooking process, but will remain clear when a little vegetable oil is used first before the butter is added?

I hope this answers your question and I didn't loose you in the process. Dripping is a delicate balance and hopefully this post will alleviate some of the frustrations we all went through in finding Nirvana.

Side note: Many folks swear by de-wicking and de-bridging. I support de-wicking on 306s because the wick is exposed. De-wicking an enclosed atty is more difficult, especially for old eyes. So more often than not de-bridging is required to access the wick. The wire mesh that covers the bridge is a stainless wick, is holds the liquid in suspension and fill the cup of the attys, coil as required, maintaining that delicate balance. Removing the bridge = direct dripping on the coil. To some, this is prefered but we see reports of constant flooding problems with this method. 1 drop is all that is required to flood an exposed coil not to mention the resultant mess. The balance is too darn hard to achieve and hence why I do not de-bridge. It is also my experience that a de-bridged atty does not last as long, and yes it does make sense (short life).

VaporChef

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2010
NYC, USA
why does butter burn in a pan when exposed to heat in the cooking process, but will remain clear when a little vegetable oil is used first before the butter is added?

Dang, Switched, you just helped me in the kitchen department too! I didn't know that... was taught to heat the dry pan first, then add the butter, but it still burns that way. I'll sautee something tonight just to confirm this with actual experience so I'll remember the tip. Thanks!

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
Something to add on this about priming, when I break out a new Atty I put a condom on the Batt end, I then fill the Atty with liquid up to the top of the bridge and let it sit like that for quite some time before I even use it. This prep of the Atty has really worked well for me and I never have gotten that burnt taste again by doing this and my Atty's always seem to break in better by using this technique, it insures the wick gets completely soaked and it just works

Pyloric Thinker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Campbell, CA
Thank you so much for the time and effort you all have spent here! I dripped, read a little more, dripped a little more and have had my most successful drip session to date! I have to dial in my top-offs and ultimately use a new atty. I'm pretty sure I've burned the bridge on this guy cuz it still has a bit of a burnt taste despite multiple blow outs, etc. But the vapor is much bigger, the flavor is there and my overall experience was probably tripled because of this thread. Thanks again. I know my question was a little off-topic, but thank you for helping me anyway! Take care.

Ryan

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
It may be my imagination and I haven't been dripping exclusively for long enough to really know... but... it seems like my attys are lasting longer now that i'm not using carts anymore.

I haven't notice any real difference perse dripping vs carts wrt longevity. However, until I fine tuned my all VG liquids, they definitely fouled sooner. Since I was able to tune my liquids, I am seeing similar results as before, but a little on the premature side to offer a concrete conclusion.

progg

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2010
It may be my imagination and I haven't been dripping exclusively for long enough to really know... but... it seems like my attys are lasting longer now that i'm not using carts anymore.

When I finally threw up my hands and gave up on the various cart mods several months ago -- I definitely saw an improvement in atty life.

It makes sense -- you're vaping with a consistent feed system, which is prompted by consistent feedback.

tybin

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
WA
all of these posts sum it up pretty darn well:p
Ryan,

Thanks for the vote of confidence but anyone here will look after you. We are one heck of a big family.

Gurgling means a semi flooded or flooded condition. Some will disagree with me, but that is OK. I faint rolling = good.

Isaac's cartos will spoil you from any other carto out there, that is the sad truth :) but they do not replace dripping. It took me a while to get onto dripping, it is not something I like to do either, but I have to more or less now that I vape strictly VG liquids. Proper dripping will indeed bring out the true flavour of the liquid, I have found nothing to date that compares to it including bottom feeders that are currently the rage, practical yes but IMHO do not deliver the crispness as dripping does. Hence why it is so popular.

The learning curve to dripping is somewhat steep and hence why folks get discouraged early on. It need not be. The key IMO is a properly primed atty and when one requires to be topped off, to ensure the atty delivers at 100% or as close to as possible. Each atty is different and to add to the dilemma each liquid vapes differently. Do not fret, it is easy as pie once you mastered the technique.

After blowing out the primer from a new atty you will need to prime it. The following list is the recommended quantities to get you off and running:
  • 510 = 5 drops, give it a one second burst and add 2 more drops and vape away, topping off with 2 more drops as required;
  • 801 = 8 drops, a short burst and add 2 more drops and vape away, replenishing with 2-3 drops;
  • 901 = 6 drops and vape away. Replenishing with 1 drop as needed. This is probably the hardest atty to master, let alone drip with. It is very finicky between working good and flooded, one drop will do it. I know I have been there, but one that delivers extremely well when dripped properly; and
  • 306 = 7 drops, 2 quick bursts, add 2 drops and vape away, replenishing with 2 drops as required.
*Note:I remove the wick from my 306s, they simply run too hot and will burn a wick faster than you can say Jack Robinson. It is the only atty I de-wick.

Knowing when to top off is key here:
  • too much and the atty floods. Not only will it flood, it will leak out the bottom.
  • too little and you burn the wick = an atty that is no longer useful unless the wick is removed. You will never get rid of the burnt taste, unless you de-wick it;
  • some folks top off when flavour diminishes, IMO that is too soon and may (often) result in a flooded condition down the road;
  • topping off once you get the hot harsh taste, you are too late;
  • vapour production is the key factor for a top off. Knowing your liquid will let you know when to top off. It will occur 2-3 drags before the harsh taste, but depending on the liquid, 2-3 drags after the flavour started to fade.

Operating or attempting to fire an atty in a flooded condition will often result in a popped atty. Trying to drive the atty in an attempt to boil off the excess liquid will often pop it. It is better to remove the atty and blow it out than to vape through it.

Every so often, although you have done everything right, you will get a harsh taste or an off taste. This, I attribute to what I call spent liquid at the bottom of the atty. Spent liquid is liquid that has been partially vaporised but not totally and constantly exposed to heat. This is easily seen when vaping clear liquids, my menthols are crystal clear, and blowing out the atty in a tissue. The liquid is brown to dark brown. After a good blow out the atty performs at 100% thereafter and the crisp flavour has returned.

For folks that may doubt the above paragraph - why does butter burn in a pan when exposed to heat in the cooking process, but will remain clear when a little vegetable oil is used first before the butter is added?

I hope this answers your question and I didn't loose you in the process. Dripping is a delicate balance and hopefully this post will alleviate some of the frustrations we all went through in finding Nirvana.

Side note: Many folks swear by de-wicking and de-bridging. I support de-wicking on 306s because the wick is exposed. De-wicking an enclosed atty is more difficult, especially for old eyes. So more often than not de-bridging is required to access the wick. The wire mesh that covers the bridge is a stainless wick, is holds the liquid in suspension and fill the cup of the attys, coil as required, maintaining that delicate balance. Removing the bridge = direct dripping on the coil. To some, this is prefered but we see reports of constant flooding problems with this method. 1 drop is all that is required to flood an exposed coil not to mention the resultant mess. The balance is too darn hard to achieve and hence why I do not de-bridge. It is also my experience that a de-bridged atty does not last as long, and yes it does make sense (short life).

There are many reasons why attys quit early. Trying to vape an atty in that has not been seasoned e.g trying to make it work. They do break in naturally.

Taking long hits not allowing atty too cool. A 5 sec hit is more than enough with the proper liquid. Hit the button as your e-cig is on its way to your lips. Take a 2-3 sec drag, let go of the button and draw for 1-2 sec more. The atty is still producing while on its cool down. You will be amaze with the results.

Buying in bulk are for folks that go through attys like underwear. Yes attys are semi-disposable. I pop the od one and I mean the odd one. But most last from 1.5-6 months or more. BTW cheap attys = short last. I popped 8-10 in 1.5 weeks once and they were not necesarily cheap, just that sheep happens.

Wrt buying attys, all my supplies come from here. Why? They perform and last.

There are many reasons why attys quit early. Trying to vape an atty in that has not been seasoned e.g trying to make it work. They do break in naturally.

Taking long hits not allowing atty too cool. A 5 sec hit is more than enough with the proper liquid. Hit the button as your e-cig is on its way to your lips. Take a 2-3 sec drag, let go of the button and draw for 1-2 sec more. The atty is still producing while on its cool down. You will be amaze with the results.

Buying in bulk are for folks that go through attys like underwear. Yes attys are semi-disposable. I pop the od one and I mean the odd one. But most last from 1.5-6 months or more. BTW cheap attys = short last. I popped 8-10 in 1.5 weeks once and they were not necesarily cheap, just that sheep happens.

Wrt buying attys, all my supplies come from here. Why? They perform and last.

Well said Switcher!!! These Great tips are dead-on and going right into the Tips and Tricks section!

Rock on RedHot!
Switcher is definitely right on with his tips and I think you been following them unknowingly.
Not a stupid question in the least. How to tell if your atomizer is truly dead. A Multimeter is needed.
Here's an excerpt from our Multimeter listing on how you can work it with atomizers.

Plus don't crank the atty down onto the mod!:w00t: just put it on until it is slightly snug
a consolidated new sticky for this please:angel:

Last edited:

Dalton63841

Moved On
Feb 14, 2011
Maine
How long do my atties generally last ME? I buy the 510 HV 3.5ohm atomizers from Ikenvape, and I still have an atty that I bought from here I think 3 months ago, and I still use it. It doesn't taste bad either.

How do I do that? No idea. I've never cleaned an atty EVER. I blow out and dry burn between jooses, but that's it. The other atomizers I have bought didn't last long, but that's because they fell victim to mod attempts...

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Haha, when I switch between radically different jooses, the dry burn helps get rid of the previous flavor. I would say that 3 months is a more than acceptable life span.

All is cool. 3m is indeed respectable. I shoot/want 6m +. Call me fussy but I have been privy to this type of performance.

AngeLsLuv

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Lake Ariel, PA.
I can get a number of months off my 801 and my 510's, but my 401's OMG!!! I am using my second one since my first 401 lasted me 16 months.. Hard to believe but it's true.. There was a time that for some reason that screen part of the bridge started to peel and one side of it just lifted up.. I placed the screen part back onto the bridge and saturated it and kept it wet.. Worked for another 6+ months..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread