Status
Not open for further replies.

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
I do clean and I do dry burn but I guess I'm pretty good at it. I have some LR 510s and 801s that have been in rotation for a year. Around here most attys just get long in the tooth and are moved to the "extreme emergency" box after cleaning. DH has hardly ever used dark juices and I haven't since before the new year except for tasting. I do all sweet juices 50/50 to 100 VG. DH does light colored tobacco flavors and used to do 100% VG until recently. I store cleaned attys with plenty of desiccant to keep moisture out of them.

I've only popped one atty dry burning and I learned my lesson to never go over 20 seconds pulsing especially with LR 306. The one I popped was an almost new IKV LR306 and I pushed it beyond the 20 seconds. BIG OUCH - As I said I learned.

I think certain flavors/ingredients are harder on atty/carto parts and we probably have never used those flavors for any length of time.

Alice

Last edited:

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
You're still my favourite ;)

laughing-smileys-emoticons53.gif

zainwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2011
Darwin, Australia
I've been using my first IKV 901 LR for a whole month now. I've run plenty of 100% VG through it but lately have been leaning more towards 50/50 or 75/25 depending on the flavour. When it stiffens up on me I give it an overnight PG soak since it is a pretty good solvent and it's almost like new after I blow it out and re-prime it.

I'll feel naked without a couple of these atomizers in spare from now on. Nothing else compares, even my 7 other various Ikenvapes. (I've been taking the grand tour haha)

Rowdy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2010
Georgia
I feel good if an atty lasts 2 weeks (less if it's not IKV), 3-4 days is average. I'm going to guess it's due to abuse and improper maintenance. That's one of the reasons I stick with Isaac, he offers bulk discounts (and he is a good person). You guys are going to chuckle at this post but it's true, ask Isaac.

Rowdy :vapor:

P.S.

I clean them in a Sonicator/Ultrasonic Cleaner with cheap vodka. Atty's and vodka in beaker, inside the Sonicator, 1/2" water, not floating around. The cleaning might get me 1-2 more days but most of the time it does nothing.

Last edited:

tonyorion

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Michigan
Even with name brand atty's, you will find a bad batch. I order in bulk, and the only thing I do when I get them is check them with an ohmmeter.

My PV's go the whole range: Reo's, BuzzPro, ProVari (SR, LR, HR 510 and 306- of course I match to the PV), and even the venerable Screwdriver MK II (901) for some juices. I DIY and really do not vape dark juices any more since I have given up on coffee/chocolate flavored juices-DIY or purchased. Any suggestions here would be appreciated.

One day turned out unusually bad: I burned out 4 brand new LR brand name atty's within hours of each other (on a Reo MINI at 3.7 v). None of my others lasted more than a day or two. I always prime my attys before use.

What was I to do? Since I order bulk, they had been sitting in my drawer for a while and well beyond the DOA guarantee.

I just will not order from that supplier again.

BYW, I change out an atty about once a week. Just toss it into a container and do a bulk ultrasonic clean with denture cleaner tablets, followed by an ultrasonic clean with filtered water, a quick rinse, and a mild dry burn.

IMHO, there is one more thing that will dramatically impact the life of an atty: using carts. They allow very little heat to escape compared to the other methods of feeding (dripping, bottom feeder (e.g. Reo), or top feeder (Vapemate)). They dry out very quickly, and the mechanical jostling of constantly taking them on and off puts extra stress on the coil.

swamijivan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Sunny Italy (South!)
Even with name brand atty's, you will find a bad batch. I order in bulk, and the only thing I do when I get them is check them with an ohmmeter.

My PV's go the whole range: Reo's, BuzzPro, ProVari (SR, LR, HR 510 and 306- of course I match to the PV), and even the venerable Screwdriver MK II (901) for some juices. I DIY and really do not vape dark juices any more since I have given up on coffee/chocolate flavored juices-DIY or purchased. Any suggestions here would be appreciated.

One day turned out unusually bad: I burned out 4 brand new LR brand name atty's within hours of each other (on a Reo MINI at 3.7 v). None of my others lasted more than a day or two. I always prime my attys before use.

What was I to do? Since I order bulk, they had been sitting in my drawer for a while and well beyond the DOA guarantee.

I just will not order from that supplier again.

BYW, I change out an atty about once a week. Just toss it into a container and do a bulk ultrasonic clean with denture cleaner tablets, followed by an ultrasonic clean with filtered water, a quick rinse, and a mild dry burn.

IMHO, there is one more thing that will dramatically impact the life of an atty: using carts. They allow very little heat to escape compared to the other methods of feeding (dripping, bottom feeder (e.g. Reo), or top feeder (Vapemate)). They dry out very quickly, and the mechanical jostling of constantly taking them on and off puts extra stress on the coil.

Hi ! I want to share my personal experience. I was in your same situation: one atty (any brand, 306 or 501, 1.5-1.8-2.0 ohms) does not last more than a week. Shift to Iken atty (io6) just add two-three days to my personal atty lifespan.
I was almost resigned to spend 50$ a month for new attys when.. my old liquid reserve finished.
Was a 100% PG liquid, flue cured tobacco flavour 18mg nic. I bought a 70%Pg-30%VG base liquid (flavourart), add 3% superconcentrated real cig flavour (vapingzone) and 12mg nicotine (vapingzone) and... my last io6 is working two moth from now and still hitting hard, no cleaning at all!

So, maybe this can help... cheers Swami.
PS I am on Reos : Grand, 13490 wv, mini wv, Woodvill all with same results on atty life before.

Last edited:

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Well I'm going through io6's lately a lot faster than when I started using them. Last winter an io6 was lasting me at least a month and sometimes 2 month's. I'd have to in use and using them as my main all day vape, switching between them.

In the last month, I've not been doing so good. I had 3 last me no more than 4 days. Two failed the 1st day I used them and the 3rd failed after a couple days of us.

Yesterday another went 'open', I was using it as my main vape for a little over 3 weeks.

I'm using 2.5Ω attys on a ProVari at 4.2volts.

Now, my wife has only gone thru 3 of them on her eGo's since last January. Although, she doesn't use them heavily, like I do.

I'm wondering if there's something to an old thread I read month's ago - does a ProVari kill an io6. I went back and tried to search for it (a thread or some posts about io6's and ProVari's). I can't come up with any logical reason why a ProVari would be any different than any other PV with an io6. I've even wondered if my ProVari is malfunctioning causing some problem - or am I just haven't a string of bad luck with the io6 lifespan recently.

player30

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham AL
Early in 2012, I ordered four I06 2.5's. The first one is still going strong; recently I broke open a new one to put a different flavor in. The 2.5's are the magic # for me. Fusions & I06's are both in my rotation, and so I don't use I06's 100% of the time. The vapor and flavor provided by the I06 is the best I have found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread