How long does it take to get used to a new level of nicotine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbrookv

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2017
I've been vaping 12mg for about the past month and decided I want to drop down to 8mg. I tried the 8mg today but the problem is I'm missing the "throat hit" that I'm used to getting and of course my cravings are a little more intense. The juice I'm currently using is 70vg and 30 pg. Can't really put the pg too much higher cause for some odd reason it gives me stomach cramps. The set up I have is an eleaf ipower with a Nautilus mini. Do you guys think maybe using a different tank set up would give me a better throat hit or should I just wait it out and get used to this new level of nicotine?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Is there a particular reason you want to reduce the nic concentration? Generally for mtl with something like a Nauti mini 12 mg is quite common to use. As to the change in throat hit that is something to get used to. But I'd be more worried if you're having nic cravings as that can get you tempted to pick up a cigarette. I didn't drop my nic concentration until I changed my vape pattern and gear as I moved to an airy subohm setup.

It's always your call what you put in your body, but I wouldn't sweat the amount of nic if lowering it is uncomfortable for you. If you do feel the need to lower it, maybe not by so much, say to 10 mg instead and see how that feels.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
In my personal experience, it takes anywhere between instantly and three years.

It took me a few years to be comfortable enough with vaping rather than smoking to even consider lowering the nicotine. When I started to lower it I sometimes barely noticed and other times spent a few weeks wanting to increase it again - but I didn't start craving cigs again or I would have increased and taken it slower.

If you're craving a cigarette rather than a return to higher nic levels, I'd recommend going back up to 12 for a while. Lowering your dependence on nicotine is a good goal, but it's nowhere near as important as staying off the cigarettes. Wait until you want to vape rather than smoke, and then start lowing the nic. Many people find it quite easy at that point.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
I started with 18-24MG using Cig-A-Likes and went pretty much immediately down to 6MG with my first MOD an iStick TC40W and a Nautilus Mini. Although I did have some 18MG around in a month I went down the the current 3MG I am at now. Tried going lower and was using 1.5MG and some Zero but I recently made all my DIY back at the 3MG level. Like @Hawise stated so eloquently, between instantly and 3 years because everyone is different but as long as your are enjoying vaping it doesn't matter if it is 3MG or 48MG!

Vape On Safely

Reactions: ceeceeisme

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
Going from 12 mg/mL to 8 mg/mL is a pretty big reduction (33%). You'll have much better luck tapering down slowly. I'd try 11 mg/mL for a week, 10 mg/mL the next week, and so forth. Then in a month you'll be down to 8 mg/mL and you will probably not even notice the change since it will be so gradual.

Akij987

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 25, 2012
MN
I went from 18 to 3 mg of the course of 3 years. Never really noticed a difference besides increase in fluid consumption right after switching strengths, but that only lasted about a week and leveled off. Slowly tapering will definety help. For the last year Ive been at 1-1.5mgs and I really don't have any cravings. I can easily go 8-12hrs without vaping and not have a feeling that I "need" to vape.

Reactions: ChelsB

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    I like nicotine.

I started at 18mg and am down to 12-15. I was formulating 14mg juice, but recently bumped it up to 15 for my tobacco blends.

I keep a secret stash of 18mg unflavored for those special occasions.

That's just me.

pianoguy

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 4, 2009
    Apple Valley, MN
    If it is just the throat hit you're missing, you might try adding a little menthol. I was never a menthol smoker (I detested menthol cigarettes), but I got a free sample of menthol a few months after I started that was quite a bit lower strength nicotine than what I'd been using, and found it just as satisfying. I wound up using menthol flavors exclusively for several years.

Dubminer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2016
    I like nicotine.

I started at 18mg and am down to 12-15. I was formulating 14mg juice, but recently bumped it up to 15 for my tobacco blends.

I keep a secret stash of 18mg unflavored for those special occasions.

That's just me.
    I also started at 18 mg and gradually dropped to 8mg over around 6 months. I stayed at 8 mg for about 5 months. I recently started only vaping unflavored. Now i increased to 12 mg during the day and 18 mg at night. Very weird but i have no desire to smoke at all.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 12, 2016
    California
    I also started at 18 mg and gradually dropped to 8mg over around 6 months. I stayed at 8 mg for about 5 months. I recently started only vaping unflavored. Now i increased to 12 mg during the day and 18 mg at night. Very weird but i have no desire to smoke at all.

I don't think that's weird at all! I vape way more at night!

Reactions: Dubminer

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 4, 2014
    My method is to wait until whatever nic level I'm at starts to cause problems.

Currently vaping 12mg.

I got there because 18mg was blowing the top of my head off.

No plans to drop further for now.

12mg is doing the job and not causing any problems.

Someday it might become problematic and, if so; I'll be looking at 9mg.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

dyanaprajna

ECF Veteran
    Feb 6, 2017
    Indiana
    I started at 24 mg on a blu e-cig. After a week, I got a Subvod using 3 mg. The only main difference is that I vape more on the Subvod, but it hasn't really affected me too much. I still use my blu, mostly in the car on the way to and back from work. I do also occasionally use a 6 mg in my Subvod, but not often. I found the intensity of sub-ohm vaping using lower nic levels to be enough to offset the lower nic levels, especially when I upgraded to a 200 watt Kbox with a TFV8 tank, but not everyone likes sub-ohm, dl, cloud chasing vaping, but this is fine. What's most important is to find a level that suits you enough to keep off the analogs. Nicotine isn't really that bad, so just take it slow if you're wanting to lower your nic intake.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread