Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveNC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2013
NC
Just my opinion, but If your picts of your VB V2 and FT V5 are your actual Vamos, the V2 is chrome plated brass while the FT V5 is brushed SS.
I own 2 SS V2 Vamos, 2 SS V3, 1 SS V5 and have bought several more for family members and friends (6 or 7 total). None have had a bright finish.
I could be wrong but I don't think so.
The difference in height (length) is due to the addition of the V3 threaded head to the v2 body. The studded top cap is obviously taller than the V2 top cap.

Nope, it's stainless. When I first got it from Vapor Break in March I wasn't sure if it was chrome or stainless, because I was expecting a brushed finish and this was polished, but not really as shiny as I thought it would be if it was chrome. But a close look inside and out convinced me it was stainless. After nine months, its got some wear that shows it's not plated, but really is stainless. It's not really as polished as the picture makes it look, but it is a smooth polished stainless steel.

Maybe I have a collector's item? :laugh:

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
Capitol District New York
Sampling bias?? Awww, you don't know nutthin about stats.

@bsoplinger Of course the sampling is skewed this is a specific product forum.
Just pointing out the not so obvious to folks who don't understand such things, not complaining about the existence of the thread.

I got curious enough about the Vamo that I decided to get a v5 SS for 42 on flea Bay and pay the 10 buck premium to get it sometime this week instead of in 3 or 4 weeks since everything is closed down for lunar New Year in China.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
@bsoplinger Sorry if I came across being cross at your posting. The intent was to point out that when you love/hate a product folks either praise/slam to extremes sometimes.
I wish you good luck with your new SS Vamo. Love mine.
If you've never owned a Vamo before:
Verify The 510 connector threads first thing. If they are not good to begin with, they only get worse.
Verify that it is set to RMS before you begin vaping. Should you receive an instruction booklet with it, they convieniently omitted the how to on this setting. Naturally all Vamos (at least all that I've dealt with) come in Mean/NO1 mode.
To Fix It:
Turn it on, Hold the left button for approv 10 sec to reach the setting. Note: after 3 sec you should see the battery voltage, continue holding the button.
The PBusardo Review on the V5 is over 30 minutes long but worth the watch.

Vape On

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
....Maybe I have a collector's item? :laugh:

I agree. I've seen another anomalous vamo recently. Daughter's BF bought a SS V2 that had bad threads, but he decided to keep it. After approx 1 month the 510 threads completely failed. I returned it to FT and received a replacement. This SS V2 had a removable top cap. To add to the oddity the top cap was not the studded thing that comes with the v3, v5, it was the classic V2 style.
Don't know where the V2 threaded top cap came from but wouldn't mine having one to replace the studded thing on my V5.
FYI Vamo MAY have fixed their 510 thread issue. The V2 discussed above and four new aluminum V2's all have 510 threads significantly better than any of the ones I have received previously. Vamo MAY have found a shop that can build a decent 510 connector.

Vape On

ClaireW

ECF Veteran
I had a FT vamo5 for about 6 weeks. Using it as main device. It kept shutting off by it self sometimes only once a day. Them got more frequent. Tried a new spring. It turned it on but was still shutting off.

I emailed FT. Returned the dead one. New one on its way now. Hope to see it the beginning of next week.

Before the shutting off issue it performed great. I can see myself adding to the vamo family in the near future. I believe in triple backups ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Keynith

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2011
Atlanta
I had a FT vamo5 for about 6 weeks. Using it as main device. It kept shutting off by it self sometimes only once a day. Them got more frequent. Tried a new spring. It turned it on but was still shutting off.

I emailed FT. Returned the dead one. New one on its way now. Hope to see it the beginning of next week.

Before the shutting off issue it performed great. I can see myself adding to the vamo family in the near future. I believe in triple backups ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

With vamos you need triple backups!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

hilly2k2

Feb 10, 2013
North Cackalaka
Had mine (V2) since the summer (so about 6 months or so). Five of those were vaping heaven.

Then, in the past month it had gotten all kinds of wonky - everything had a burned taste. Changed coils, changed tanks, changed juices, swapped watts for volts and back again....it was just all wrong. And when it wasn't wrong, flavor was just non-existent.

Before you ask: It was always in N02 mode (though after a while I thought maybe the Vamo-brain had swapped V1 for V2, so tried it in AVG mode....nope, that still sucked as badly as ever). I couldn't figure out for the life of me what was going on, since the same tanks - with no adjustment or change whatsoever - were hitting just fine (albeit with less of the strength than I'd gotten used to on the Vamo) on my Vision Spinner. Thought maybe the Vamo was misfiring or hyper-watting or whatever. Came on here to ask about it, and everyone's consensus seemed to be vapor's tongue on my part.

Well, left the country for a couple of weeks with nothing but my Spinner, and all was well (again, with less intensity than I had come to be used to). And so, when I got back and tried it again, I thought - it's the mod. Then, it dropped out of my sweatshirt pocket (at a height of less than 1 foot - I was bent over looking under the couch), and once that happened, the '+' button stopped pressing. Now, just touching it will make the watts/volts go up - and with the quickness - but there is no motion, give, or "click" to the button at all (which means you can't tell that you've turned up the wattage/voltage).

Long story short, I loved it when it worked and have hated it since a little before Christmas. And my SVD should be here tomorrow. Day after, tops.

Oh Vamo, it was nice while it lasted.

Last edited:

louis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2010
Mt Vernon,Texas
HAve had one for about a year & the electronics still work fine, but the 510 threads are shot. I use it until about 5 months ago when I finally got yhe boss, wife, to quit analogs & start using the Vamo V2 with a Pro Tank 2. She tigthened it down too tight & stripped the threads on the 510 connection, which I understand is a common problem.
Mine is chrome plated brass the boss is technically challenged, to put it nicely. Thinking about replacing the top cap but scared of the top cap not holding up.

louis

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Mine is chrome plated brass the boss is technically challenged, to put it nicely. Thinking about replacing the top cap but scared of the top cap not holding up.
louis
I bought my replacement top cap from ecigaretteimpressions.com; I believe that it is solid stainless steel, and the threading is MUCH better than the original. My short-term impression is that it's going to outlast the original by a mile or two.

hilly2k2

Feb 10, 2013
North Cackalaka
Just thought I'd pop in and add to my previous post.

SVD arrived today and it is doing everything I'd hoped it would (reminds me of when my love affair with the Vamo was still going strong). Not to say that six months from now it won't fritz out on me, but it does confirm my suspicion that it was the Vamo that was the source of my troubles.

Just in case anyone was wondering...

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Burbank CAlifornia
Just thought I'd pop in and add to my previous post.

SVD arrived today and it is doing everything I'd hoped it would (reminds me of when my love affair with the Vamo was still going strong). Not to say that six months from now it won't fritz out on me, but it does confirm my suspicion that it was the Vamo that was the source of my troubles.

Just in case anyone was wondering...
Just tuned in to this thread as my Vamo is giving me problems. It is only 6-7 weeks old. Seems like it does not want to fire sometimes unless I hit the button a certain way. I was considering the SVD when I got the Vamo. Which do you like better

hilly2k2

Feb 10, 2013
North Cackalaka
Just tuned in to this thread as my Vamo is giving me problems. It is only 6-7 weeks old. Seems like it does not want to fire sometimes unless I hit the button a certain way. I was considering the SVD when I got the Vamo. Which do you like better

Well, the SVD I'd received seems to be faulty (random power-offs all over the place, with a variety of different, fully charged batteries), so am currently waiting for a replacement.

That said, I like the SVD much better in terms of build quality, but liked the Vamo's menu/screen system much better. Also think the Vamo is more intuitive and user-friendly, but that may be something I get used to with the SVD in time.

Also not too hot on the telescoping feature (well, I like the feature, just not all the screwing and unscrewing required to make use of it).

When the Vamo was working correctly, I loved it. But the SVD hits great (when it wasn't turning itself off, of course).

Think I'll be in a better position to answer this after I get the (hopefully fully functional) replacement and use it for a week or so.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
My original V2 is a year old now and still going like it did on day one. I am using it, for the first time, in "shorty" mode. I had been stacking my 18350s but they started showing signs of no longer being safe to stack. I am not a fan of "shorty" mode. It's too small for my big paws and battery life is just too short for my tastes.

GaryInTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2013
NE Texas, USA
Well, the SVD I'd received seems to be faulty (random power-offs all over the place, with a variety of different, fully charged batteries), so am currently waiting for a replacement.

That said, I like the SVD much better in terms of build quality, but liked the Vamo's menu/screen system much better. Also think the Vamo is more intuitive and user-friendly, but that may be something I get used to with the SVD in time.

Also not too hot on the telescoping feature (well, I like the feature, just not all the screwing and unscrewing required to make use of it).

When the Vamo was working correctly, I loved it. But the SVD hits great (when it wasn't turning itself off, of course).

Think I'll be in a better position to answer this after I get the (hopefully fully functional) replacement and use it for a week or so.

I've got a couple of SVDs. I always have problems with them turning off if you don't hit the fire button dead in the center everytime. I just use mine for back-ups to my vamos now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread