So, we had the opportunity to head-to-head compare the Vamo V3 and ProVari last night...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I had a few beers with a ProVarian last night and we had the opportunity to swap devices, toppers and liquids (he's into DIY, too).

Both came away impressed with the other guy's device.

The ProVari is unquestionably the better made device. It just feels like it's more rugged and it's obvious that the thing is built to last. Advantage: ProVari

The ProVari's 510 threads are super smooth. It's clear that these things will only be stripped through serious, repeated abuse. Compare that to the Vamo's super soft, roughly machined 510 threads. No-brainer here. The ProVari doesn't have native Ego threading, however. That means using an adapter to mount small capacity Ego tanks like the Evod (which I had a bunch of, filled with my DIY liquids). Of course, the Vamo V3 has both 510 and Ego threads so interchangeability is not an issue. Advantage: Push

The ProVari is not designed for stacking of 18350 batteries, while the Vamo is. This was at first a great concern for the ProVarian, who launched into the standard ECF warnings about stacking batteries. I concurred that under most conditions, stacking was not considered safe battery usage but that a properly operating and well maintained Vamo had the ability to do this safely, but only if the user followed a nearly OCD procedure (explained here) and used the proper battery chemistry. Advantage: Vamo (but only by an eyelash)

The Vamo V3 has a better, easier to use interface. The OLED screen is easier to read and looks more modern. Even the ProVarian agreed that it's easier to check and change settings with the Vamo than it is with the ProVari. The best analogy came from Mrs. ProVarian, who said "this is like comparing an 8-track to a CD player!" Advantage: Vamo

The ProVari's power management capability seems more reliable than that of the Vamo. When really pushing the limits of the atomizers we were using, the ProVari seemed to put out more power, more consistently, especially at higher wattage voltage levels. Advantage: ProVari

Both devices have a timed automatic cutoff. The ProVari allows for 18 seconds of holding the button down. The Vamo allows for 8 seconds. This allows the ProVari user to really fire up the coil and get a good vapor cloud going, but means the Vamo user has to mash the button twice in order to get a similar experience. Advantage: ProVari

The Vamo has an current max of 5.0a. Any current greater than this causes the unit to shut down. The ProVari 2.0 has a max of 3.5a. This allows users of lower resistance coils to get greater power on the Vamo, providing that Vamo users follow safe battery practices (and don't stack cells for the purpose of racking up the power). Advantage: Vamo

Both units have thermal, short circuit, reverse polarity, low voltage and low resistance protection. While the ProVari allows for 1.0 ohms and the Vamo allows for 1.2 ohms, we considered this a push because actual coil resistance can vary from nominal coil resistance by +/- 0.2 ohms. All other safety features were not tested because, well... there was a football game on and beer was involved. Advantage: Push

Both units are available in kits that include batteries, a charger and atomizer(s). However, the ProVari kit ships with AW IMR high drain batteries. The Vamo ships with unprotected ICR cells. The ProVari ships with a Tenergy charger that is superior to the no-name charger that comes with the Vamo. Finally, the ProVari ships with a ProTank II and the Vamo ships with cheap clearos. Advantage: ProVari

The ProVari comes with a one-year warranty. The Vamo comes with whatever warranties offered by the vendor. Advantage: ProVari

The Vamo kit can be had for under $100 via US suppliers. The ProVari kit costs $200. While quality of kit components is an issue that should be considered, cost vs. benefit must be considered in any purchasing decision, so... Advantage: Vamo

The ProVari led in five of our comparison categories. The Vamo led in four and there were two pushes.

We had a lot of fun. Mrs. ProVarian is an Ego Twist user and has been thinking about an upgrade. She's thinking about the Vamo now. This doesn't bother ProVarian at all, because it means another powerful mod in the house that he's already tried and liked. Mrs. IBCR just wonders when we're all gonna stop spending so much money.

Last edited:

ancientgeek

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
San Antonio, TX
I thought the Provari was only VV while Vamo is VV VW... I don't even look at voltage on the Vamo... I keep it set to wattage and love that the Vamo will set the correct power when I change attys.

I agree, and for me, this is the single most important factor in comparing the two. VW is much more convenient, virtually a set and forget system.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I thought the Provari was only VV while Vamo is VV VW... I don't even look at voltage on the Vamo... I keep it set to wattage and love that the Vamo will set the correct power when I change attys.

I fixed that typo. Thanks.

I keep mine set to wattage for the same reason.

Denrock316

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
Ohio, USA
I think it would be even a much closer contest if you compared the new Vamo Version 5 with the Provari.

Version 5 has better threads and a longer cut off time. It also has plenty of room for eGo threaded devices and with the ring on the top it even hides the knurled part on my AROs and looks pretty slick. I got SS by the way, and I like it so much I just ordered another in Black Chrome. If the Black Chrome wears too much I'll J-Wrap it if it gets ugly. :2cool: And I agree with all the above who like the VW I am really liking that a lot. I've switched out toppers with heads varying from 2.1 to 3.2 ohm and all perform identical at 6-6.5w. :)

Last edited:

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
I think it would be even a much closer contest if you compared the new Vamo Version 5 with the Provari.

Version 5 has better threads and a longer cut off time. It also has plenty of room for eGo threaded devices and with the ring on the top it even hides the knurled part on my AROs and looks pretty slick.

I have the SS V3 and all this is true of the V3 as well. I haven't had any thread issues, it has the cone threads and a deeper well, so no adapter needed for T3 devices. And a longer cutoff than V2. AFAIK the V5 is just the V3 without the swirls (I prefer the swirls, myself). :)

EDIT: I just tested my Vamo and it does have a cut-off of 8 seconds which is plenty for me, but maybe the V5 does have a longer cutoff.

Last edited:

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
I fixed that typo. Thanks.

I keep mine set to wattage for the same reason.

I wasn't really referring to the voltage/wattage typo, but to the feature the Vamo has, of being a VW device, whereas the Provari is missing that feature all together. That's a clear advantage the VAMO has over the Provari.

Also, to nitpick a bit :D you referred to a Vamo kit as costing $100 and having poor batts and a no-name charger, but who buys that garbage? Kits are almost never a good idea.

I got the SS Vamo 3 by itself from FastTech for $37, a superb XTAR VP1 charger with built-in VM and LED readout for $45 from Xtar VP1 Digital Charger (digital display) (use coupon FB10 for 10% off and it's free shipping AND comes with a car adapater), and 2 EFEST 18650 batts from RTD Vapor for about $17. Cost $99. Now I could have saved $20 and got the NiteCore charger, also very well respected (but no VM built in or LED), then used that $20 for the Protank 2 and spent a total of $100 for a most excellent kit. Instead I got the better charger and a Prtotank 2 for $16. So my total cost for my kit was $115... and I bet I have a better charger than the one that comes with the Provari.

Just sayin'.... you can spend $100 and get EFEST batts and a NiteCore charger, which is as good as the Provari kit.

There is no denying the Provari is likely a nicer made device, and I love that it's USA made. But for a lousy $37 a Vamo blows anything else out of the water, especially being VW and having the super nice LED screen, clicky buttons, and easy menu system. I absolutely love mine. You just can't beat the price point.

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
We had a lot of fun. Mrs. ProVarian is an Ego Twist user and has been thinking about an upgrade. She's thinking about the Vamo now. This doesn't bother ProVarian at all, because it means another powerful mod in the house that he's already tried and liked. Mrs. IBCR just wonders when we're all gonna stop spending so much money.

You realize what you have done!!! :D

Inhouse Provarinati vs Vamoan conflict! Oh he says that doesn't bother him till the Vamo moves in ;)

And I get the same Mrs. WarHawk-AVG wonders when we're all gonna stop spending so much money.

Hobbies...whachagonna do? :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread