How often should one swap/clean tanks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cumulo Vapus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2016
Im pretty lazy about changing tanks…and when I clean them, I rarely strip them down completely for a wash.

Ive been using a kayfun plus 1.5 for six weeks straight….I just rewick every 3-4 tanks.

Lately I looked at the glass and it didnt look as clean as it should.

From a health/hygiene point of view, Im wondering if tanks collect any bacteria on the inside walls, and if the liquid can pick up these harmful agents. Since we inhale the contents, I am concerned about this.

Any thoughts?

TVC70

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2011
AZ, USA
celtic is correct. PG and VG are both antimicrobial (I know VG kills bacteria and PG kills both bacteria and certain fungi, though there may be other things I'm unaware of). Nicotine is pretty toxic, as well. I don't think a whole lot is going to survive in a tank full of the stuff. I vape only unflavored DIY juice, so there tends not to be as much gunk as many might experience. While I do pop my drip tips off at least once every couple of days and scrub them with an old toothbrush and some rubbing alcohol, I might only strip down and clean the actual tank every couple months. Other than that, I just re-wick and re-coil as needed.

edit: And this is coming from a germophobe. Not an Adrian Monk level germophobe, but still...:D

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
I am not worried about germs but my tanks do get a quick wash out on occasion but it is because I am changing a flavor to similar one but the previous one might have had a heavy note or the fact that the outside gets a little slippery. I love my e-Liquids but do not like it on my hands. If I have left a tank for a long period of time without using it the e-Liquid might look a bit thick or just not taste like I remembered and another quick rinse under hot water and dry with a paper towel. That is as far as I go.

Reactions: Eskie

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Lately I looked at the glass and it didnt look as clean as it should.

If it's getting visibly dirty inside I would give it a flush with water sometime.

From a health/hygiene point of view, Im wondering if tanks collect any bacteria on the inside walls, and if the liquid can pick up these harmful agents. Since we inhale the contents, I am concerned about this.

Any thoughts?

Unless there's something organic in it, I consider juice to be safe to vape for at least 2 years. I disassemble and clean any gear that has O-rings every few months just for the health of the O-rings. They can get dry and gunky over time if they are left too long. I flush the coil area every time I dry burn them. Otherwise I don't worry about it.

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016
Personally:

I clean the tanks really good when i first get them.

I never swap as i love my tank and vape enough to get old flavor out in less than 10 minutes...
I never clean my tanks unless something funky happens. Wife and i went on a field trip with our daughter and she didnt turn her mod off and put it in her backpack where it was constantly being fired... Lucky we didnt start a fire but the tank needed a full cleaning afterwards it tasted god awful couldnt get the taste out without a good detailing.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
lmao don't we all?

every time i rewick, change a flavour, and or a coil i gives all parts a good run under some hot water and check for issues like with o-rings.

It depends. If I just need a quick rewick, most of my tanks allow me to flip them over and remove the deck, clean up and dry burn the coil a bit, rewick and reassemble without dumping the tank. If I think the juice is looking a little funky/caramelized, or obviously changing flavors, then it's a dump and rinse. Most of my tanks are 4-5 ml so just waiting to vape the tank down to time a disassembly isn't always convenient, and why dump out perfectly good juice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread