Questions on Tanks and Coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgs3

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I am using both the Innokin Prism T22 and T18 tanks on four different devices. Members, familiar with those tanks, have suggested that the coils can be washed in hot water, dried and then reused at least once.

One question I have, is how long should I wait after washing a coil? How do I know that it is fully dry? Can I use a dryer on them? Are there any signs I should look for indicating that a coil is or isn't dry?

Secondly, questions on refilling a tank. Generally, before refilling a tank, I remove the coil and clean the tank thoroughly. When dry, I add the liquid. When I am refilling with the same liquid, there is no problem. Bit when adding a liquid with a different flavor, the taste seems off. Does that mean that when refilling a tank with a different liquid I should use a new or refurbished coil?

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Hiya @tgs3!

I don't use the Prism tanks, but if you wanted to try rinsing one out (really, all you'd be doing would be to rinse out the flavor from the wicking material, unless you can run something down the center of the coil to try to loosen/remove any of the buildup on the coil itself?), you could start using it again - your initial hits would be a bit watered down until you displaced the water with juice.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If you just want to flavor change, rinsing or sitting your coil in distilled water should work, and yes you can use it without drying it, though it may pop a bit, and/or give a bit of a weak vape.

You can reuse spent coils, everyone has slightly different methods. I wash mine for a long time in hot water and let it sit for about 12 hours. Then they go outside to dry (humidity is ridiculously low here, though). You can use a blowdryer on the lowest setting if you wish.

Anna

oudakontrol

Aug 25, 2014
Seattle, WA
Definitely let them "dry out" somewhere in open air. I wrapped one tight in a paper towel and stuck it in a cabinet to keep it out of the way. Didn't realize my wife had suck a very loose bottle of scented oil in the same cabinet (small area). When I popped my coil in I was vaping chemical potpourri and couldn't get rid of it. All my coils stay in a nightstand drawer now away from any potential contamination lol

Reactions: tgs3

Trigster

Aug 2, 2017
SF Bay Area
I do use both T18 & T22 tanks...I do re-use coils but your results will differ depending on the individual coil and the flavor you were using...Some of my extra gunky flavors just plain kill'em...I had one with Pineapple Upside Down Cake and the Pineapple flavor was there to stay...I soak'em in hot water, rinse and let them air dry for 2 or 3 days...At the most you'll probably get another 1/2 life out of them...Maybe 20-30ml but again it really depends on the particular coil and the juice...Hair Dryer ???...Nice dry heat I can't see why not...And as Anna mentioned I've also done this with Kanger & Aspire coils but don't get as much of a 2nd life on those as they're not quite as large/robust as the Prism coils...

On the re-fills I never remove a coil unless it's ready to go belly up...Even if it's a different flavor the new flavor will kick in after about 1/3 of a tank...But I always make sure (try) and layer in a similar flavor...If it's a strong flavor like the Pineapple I mentioned it's probably gon'a be there to stay...It'll be close to RTA time for you !!!

I just bought my 1st one...A Digiflavor Siren 2...Here's a vid you might want to have a look at...Trig
siren 2 gta video - Bing video

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It's really not required to dry them but if you don't mind the extra step (in whatever fashion you do it) it is nice not to get that watery, spitty vape for awhile. So, it's really up to what you decide...

I'd kinda like to know if there is an end limit to soaking. I have one soaking I forgot about and it's been a few days, I think it may go with the vacopalypse coils in my closet (they await the terrible and ghastly chore of being rewicked, but I doubt it will happen unless there is a vacopalypse.....

You know, I've got to organize that darn walk in closet, and I'm starting to think I may be a bit of a hoarder, but until 2022 rolls around and I find out what deeming's gonna be? They're staying. Period.

But, the great reorganization will take place..... Soon! On a day the husband is not home, he doesn't need to see what's in there, though he wouldn't be mad he might be discomfited a bit, LOL. He was by the 2.5 gallon vat of VG, which was really rather cheap. He understood the need for the nic that is frozen, but.... LOL.

Anna

redeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chicago suburbs
www.nofearmotorsports.com
Remove the silicone seal in the top of the coil. Be careful. You can use a paper clip or tiny screw driver to pop it out. The top element is right up there, so just gently pop it out. Get a small pot or bowl. Put the coils in. Put the hottest tap water in. Hold the pot handle and swirl them around, or take a chopstick or wood spoon and swirl them around. Then let them sit until the water cools down. Pour out and repeat about 5 Times. This takes a while. Last time let them sit in water for a few hours or over night. Take them out. Dry them with a paper towel. Blow thru the chimney. Let them dry out for a few days, turning them several times. If it’s summer they dry faster if you put them out in the sun. Put the seal back in. Don’t vape them wet, too much cotton and will be unpleasant for a while. My .02

Trigster

Aug 2, 2017
SF Bay Area
Remove the silicone seal in the top of the coil. Be careful. You can use a paper clip or tiny screw driver to pop it out. The top element is right up there, so just gently pop it out. Get a small pot or bowl. Put the coils in. Put the hottest tap water in. Hold the pot handle and swirl them around, or take a chopstick or wood spoon and swirl them around. Then let them sit until the water cools down. Pour out and repeat about 5 Times. This takes a while. Last time let them sit in water for a few hours or over night. Take them out. Dry them with a paper towel. Blow thru the chimney. Let them dry out for a few days, turning them several times. If it’s summer they dry faster if you put them out in the sun. Put the seal back in. Don’t vape them wet, too much cotton and will be unpleasant for a while. My .02
You Pull The Elements Out ???...How in the world do you get them re-connected at the bottom of the chamber ???...Sounds like you could darned near totally re-build it...Ya' think that's possible ???

redeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chicago suburbs
You Pull The Elements Out ???...How in the world do you get them re-connected at the bottom of the chamber ???...Sounds like you could darned near totally re-build it...Ya' think that's possible ???
No. Just the silicone seal so it doesn’t deform in the hot water.
I was just saying be careful of the top element when removing the seal.

mattrix

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
AU
Coils don't always survive the cleaning process, and if they do they are not the same as a new coil. I tend to wait until the coil has almost had it, so I've got nothing to lose. Maybe cleaning more often would be better?

I don't use the hottest of hot water, but water just cool enough to dip your fingers in. I let them soak for about 5 min, then put them in a turkey baster and suck/push the soak water through them, and then a few time without water to blow the excess water out. Then let them dry on a table for a day or so.
The coils don't have to be dry as a bone before use, but are certainly better if they are just damp rather than full of water.

Sometimes if vertical coils are gunked I use a dental brush to clear the centre passage after soaking.

I also prime my coils for half an hour which helps displace the water.

Last edited:

Trigster

Aug 2, 2017
SF Bay Area
No. Just the silicone seal so it doesn’t deform in the hot water.
I was just saying be careful of the top element when removing the seal.
10-4...And Thanks...As we've discussed before they're pretty damned inexpensive...But I can't see any reason not to give'em a rinse out and get the full life out of the product...It's just a little too easy to do...

As for the possibility of completely re-building one I kind'a doubt it...But when I watch that vid it makes me think a re-wicking might be doable...Pain in the rear ???...Probably but I am a curious sort and if it is possible I wouldn't mind knowing how to do it...Who knows how onerous any new Regs. might be...???

In that review he doesn't completely dissect the entire assembly...I guarantee the next chucker I get is gon'a get stripped down 110%...If I can remove the chamber without destroying anything I'd bet'cha a buck it could be re-wicked...I don't think it's something I'd do on a regular basis but interesting none the less...And now headed down the RTA route I'll use fewer and fewer drop-ins...But if I go on vacation I'll take T22's rather than RTA's...

redeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chicago suburbs
10-4...And Thanks...As we've discussed before they're pretty damned inexpensive...But I can't see any reason not to give'em a rinse out and get the full life out of the product...It's just a little too easy to do...

As for the possibility of completely re-building one I kind'a doubt it...But when I watch that vid it makes me think a re-wicking might be doable...Pain in the rear ???...Probably but I am a curious sort and if it is possible I wouldn't mind knowing how to do it...Who knows how onerous any new Regs. might be...???

In that review he doesn't completely dissect the entire assembly...I guarantee the next chucker I get is gon'a get stripped down 110%...If I can remove the chamber without destroying anything I'd bet'cha a buck it could be re-wicked...I don't think it's something I'd do on a regular basis but interesting none the less...And now headed down the RTA route I'll use fewer and fewer drop-ins...But if I go on vacation I'll take T22's rather than RTA's...
Was that a he or a she in the rewick video?

Trigster

Aug 2, 2017
SF Bay Area
Was that a he or a she in the rewick video?
I believe that was a Lady...I don't know when I'll get around to trying it but just knowing that it is possible to re-wick a Prism coil is interesting...I'm sure I wouldn't do much of it...But still nice to know how...Trig

redeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chicago suburbs
I believe that was a Lady...I don't know when I'll get around to trying it but just knowing that it is possible to re-wick a Prism coil is interesting...I'm sure I wouldn't do much of it...But still nice to know how...Trig
Hands aren’t steady enuf.lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread