How would you teach a new vapor to vape ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
How would you teach a new vapor to vape when the only thing they have ever used is an analog cigarette?
I have noticed most have troubles with the draw.

That's because most people don't know how to vape properly. The only proper way to vape is to do it with the Gillespie method. You need to put your mouth to your lips and exhale, expanding your cheeks like a bullfrog. Now, suck in hard, your expanded cheeks will create a slingshot effect to fire a massive amount of vapor down your throat and into your lungs. Then tell them to hold it there. Count to 30 and then exhale and enjoy the vappy goodness. If they can't do that, tell them to hang it up, vaping isn't for them.

article-1287670642038-0bb55661000005dc-505305_636x446.jpg

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
I'd honestly have taught my younger self to skip crappy HR atties, evods, egos and early tank systems with whispy vape production and either learn to

A. Use an ego battery and old 501 LR atties with a drip tip (if you could still get them here in the UK) and better liquids

B. Skip the hassle of all the other sub ohm tanks and go straight for the Aspire Cleito and a 70w capable mod.

C. If I wasn't lazy probably would advise my younger self to use RDA's but he's too lazy and doesn't like making things, so sticks with Cleito tanks which in his experience at around the 40-60W range is the next best thing to an RDA / RTA and you don't have to go 100W plus like with other competing tanks....

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
How would you teach a new vapor to vape when the only thing they have ever used is an analog cigarette?

I'd start with a simple disposable cigalike.

If they already have something and having trouble with it, then it depends on what it is.

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY

This is always the question isn't it??

I've done this plenty. Always on the hunt for deals on mods to start people out. Just ordered 4 Smok BT65's from VapeNW tonite for give aways for 15 bucks.

What I try to do is have them come over and try out some different gear so I can get an idea. I deal with heavy smoking middle aged folks so I don't know about younger and older people or lighter smokers. Anyone smoking less hen 2 PAD I don't worry to much about.

I have a couple Nautilus tanks in the give away pile but nobody seems to like to start out with those anymore. But I have them just in case.

I have some TC stuff and surprisingly some people take right to it. Can always expect a few phone calls from people that start out with TC. But ya never know cause one guy I started out with TC now has a DNA200 programed for moon landings or some such.

Most people seem to start out best with a mild subohm tank like the Subtank Mini. I gave away a pile of those I had from some BF sales. A normal coil, a tootle coil and a RBA all in the box is a unbeatable deal. It also helps that the .5 coil at least is sold EVERYWHERE!!! I have run into trouble when I get a deal on some odd ball tank and later find coils are impossible to find.

But the deal breaker is juice. This is the vexing thing. Folks ain't to happy when I say your gonna have to throw alot of 10ml bottles away to find "your thing". Some shops have tasting bars and I can say try thm but in the end taste is on the user and sometimes ya gotta spend a buck or two. When I started it was common to start with tobacco flavors which I did and quickly moved on. Now many people jump right to flavors. One guy I maintain his stuff uses this cappicino stuff I swear looks like black tar horse. No telling what folks like.

I've had the best successes with 6mg. If anyone took the above mentioned tootle gear I'd say 18mg but I haven't had any takers. 3mg I find to light but people use it.

I get blamed for alot but I have broad shoulders. I have to listen to a guy at work everyday hate on vaping cause at the time I helped him I was using a Nautilus and told him to. It didn't work and somehow it because my fault. But I can't teach what I don't know and at that time tootle puffing was what I knew.

I'd like to say that waging a one man battle against cigarette smoking, mostly at my own expense and completely on my own time, has made me a better person and that its all karma and will one day all be worth it. Well it is worth it to me because it makes me happy. However I am not a better person or even a nice person. And karma don't pay my bills. And people are ungrateful. So if the satisfaction doesn't come from inside and if one expects thank you's or even payment its best to skip this. When some dope fiend weasels a vape rig outta me they think they got over on me but what they don't know is if they quit smoking I count it as a win. Screw humans, I answer to a higher calling.

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
I have never seen anyone have problems drawing from a ecig and I have converted about a dozen or so to vaping. Also I let my friends try and besides the coughing they don't seem to have trouble drawing it in either.

Just tell him to vape it like he would a cigarette.
The problem most new vapers have is not the draw, it is when they try to take a drag like it's a cigarette and they choke. New Vapers are not quite ready for direct lung hits, that is why I tell them not to draw it into their throat, just draw it into their mouth and then into the throat. Mouth to lung for beginners.

Reactions: diabolique

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
New Vapers are not quite ready for direct lung hits

What age demographic are we speaking for?

Because the under 40 crowd seems to do fantastic with it right off the bat. (Keep in mind, I've amassed dozens of test subjects @ 0.2 ohm @ 50 mg)

And the younger, the more they seem to prefer it.

Older lungs with decades more damage and more set in doing things one way (seems very pertinent IME) will need to start lower power and tighter draw, progress mouth only... nose exhale... mtl... (maybe stop along the way wherever).

This forum often seems stifled... set in there ways... to ignore that... other people... aren't... well... you (to Noone in particular)

Tapatyped

diabolique

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Portland, Oregon USA
What age demographic are we speaking for?

Because the under 40 crowd seems to do fantastic with it right off the bat. (Keep in mind, I've amassed dozens of test subjects @ 0.2 ohm @ 50 mg)

And the younger, the more they seem to prefer it.

Older lungs with decades more damage and more set in doing things one way (seems very pertinent IME) will need to start lower power and tighter draw, progress mouth only... nose exhale... mtl... (maybe stop along the way wherever).

This forum often seems stifled... set in there ways... to ignore that... other people... aren't... well... you (to Noone in particular)

Tapatyped

Well for me it would probably be the older 40's to 50's.
But really it should apply to all new people beginning to vape.

Reactions: gofishtx

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Gosh, I didn't need anyone to teach me to vape, and I'm not sure why anyone would need to be taught that. It's pretty much a no-brainer, push the button and take a hit. What's hard about that?
Well...

Apparently one MUST be a tootie-poofer first, or they're doing it wrong.

No nevermind what works best for the individual.

BangHead.gif.pagespeed.ce.bNvjStLaEs.gif

Tapatyped

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Well...

Apparently one MUST be a tootie-poofer first, or they're doing it wrong.

No nevermind what works best for the individual.

BangHead.gif.pagespeed.ce.bNvjStLaEs.gif

Tapatyped

I think most start out with tootle puffing not knowing any better. I know I did. Three weeks later I was using a mech and genny. Tootling just didn't cut it for me, but no one ever had to teach me how to use either rig.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
I think most start out with tootle puffing not knowing any better. I know I did. Three weeks later I was using a mech and genny. Tootling just didn't cut it for me, but no one ever had to teach me how to use either rig.
Agreed.

Had I not had mom, dad, step dad, father in law, etc., etc. to PIF a ton of tootler gear to, I'd be royally peeved over the amount of money I spent on gear everyone HIGHLY recommended. :facepalm:

And then I hand my 80 watt setup to a first timer and it's like second nature... over... and over... and over again. But the same person chokes a lung up on a carto tank. :blink:

There's no "right way" for everybody. Seasoned vet or first puffer, doesn't matter.

Tapatyped

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
Agreed.

Had I not had mom, dad, step dad, father in law, etc., etc. to PIF a ton of tootler gear to, I'd be royally peeved over the amount of money I spent on gear everyone HIGHLY recommended. :facepalm:

And then I hand my 80 watt setup to a first timer and it's like second nature... over... and over... and over again. But the same person chokes a lung up on a carto tank. :blink:

There's no "right way" for everybody. Seasoned vet or first puffer, doesn't matter.

Tapatyped
Just from my experience in seeing a lot of folks draw that 1st hit into their throat like it's a cigarette and choke on it. Not saying they will all do that or will keep doing that. Just saying that some do in the beginning. Some people are tootle puffers and some like the direct lung inhale. Over or under 40. I am not trying to offend anyone by posting my opinion or experience, just saying it does happen. People take a puff and choke and cough... sometimes... not all the time....
I am out....

Last edited:

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Just from my experience in seeing a lot of folks draw that 1st hit into their throat like it's a cigarette and choke on it. Not saying they will all do that or will keep doing that. Just saying that some do in the beginning. Some people are tootle puffers and some like the direct lung inhale. Over or under 40. I am not trying to offend anyone by posting my opinion or experience, just saying it does happen. People take a puff and choke and cough... sometimes... not all the time....
I am out....
Then we're in complete agreement. What's the problem?

Tapatyped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread