Status
Not open for further replies.

The Widow

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2009
San Diego, CA
widowsbeadwork.com
insurance companies usually won't cover medications that are available OTC unless one needs a stronger strength. They should cover Chantix, Zyban or Wellbutrin though.
That depends on the insurance. I've gotten prescriptions for OTC pain meds and even lotion, everything over the co-pay was covered.

edbaar49

Nov 24, 2009
Saratoga, CA.
Docs are sure free with the lectures on the evils of smoking and how important it is that you quit. Many of them also advocate attending support groups. Everyone of us has a different situation, however... differing means of insurance/no insurance and what they will/will not cover. For me, Zyban was available as was patches and gum, but I'd have to pay out of pocket for the support group. The patches and gum never worked for me before, and I'm not much into joining groups. Zyban wasn't too helpful with quitting but it did help a bit with the depression. The best tool I've discovered has been the e-cig!

The_janty_Misfit

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2009
New York City
It just blows my mind how a doctor can give you Sudefed and you can get it over the counter, but when it comes to quit smoking products I get a "no your insurance wont cover it" I know its not her fault, BUT at least refer me to a place that CAN help me.

I'm not thrilled, but I know its not unheard of.

I enjoy vaping but I can't afford to get the liquid with the stronger mg I need (16mg doesn't cut it for me) to cut the edge off. If I could I would of just done that.

If you're looking for stronger liquid, the solution is never to buy the solution but to make it. Juicemaking is simple and it can be very inexpensive.

One supplier, my freedom smokes (Home | My Freedom Smokes) sells mixing liquids in high concentrations and small sizes ranging from 6ml of 24mg for 3.95, to 6ml of 100 mg for 10.95. He offers many sizes in each concentration and will put it in your custom proportion of PG/VG. He also sells propylene glycol and Vegetable Glycerol either pure or custom-mixed to your specified proportions for diluting your liquid and he does it at no extra charge.

Depending on your use, even small amounts of liquid can last you a good long time. I myself have a 60ml bottle of 60 mg liquid that I bought for $42.95 and I expect it to last me a month or more and I am one of those 'it-doesn't-leave-his-mouth' users.

In this arrangement, you can either use Loranne Candy Oils, available from various sources, or Cappella flavor concentrates for taste. A bottle of the Cappella will cost you six dollars and shipping and should last you a while.

If all you need is a general sweetness, ez-sweet (EZ-Sweetz (2oz - Liquid Sweetener): Amazon.com: Grocery) offers you pure liquid sucralose in a form that survives atomizer temperatures. Three to four drops of it in a ten milliliter bottle will give you a candy-sweet mix that will give you all the nicotine you're looking for.

With all that in mind, here's a hypothetical cost breakdown:

1. 20ml 60mg liquid in 60/40, vg/pg=$17.95 + $5 shipping=$21.95
2. 125 ml 60/40 vg/pg diluting liquid=$9.95 (shipping costs covered by above)
3. EZ-Sweetz liquid sucralose (2oz)=12.99 +$5.00 shipping

Total cost: $50.89

If my math is right, this will let you cut your nicotine liquid 1-to-1 with mixing liquid which will give you four, ten-milliliter bottles of 30 mg-strength liquid. Even with *my* insane use, a 10ml bottle lasts me three days, which means a 12-day supply for me. You'll have virgin vg/pg mix left over for your next batch and the sucralose supply should last you until a few days after the Last Judgement making that second batch even cheaper.

Assuming you use as much as I do in the same strength, this would mean a third of one month's supply of sweetened stealth-liquid for about the cost of five packs of cigarettes bought in New York City.

I hope you find this information useful.

martha1014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Delhi, LA USA
I'm a little confused. Are you already using the ecig. If you do why would you want patchs or other NRT. You can get free patchs at several locations on the internet plus coupons to purchase them. If you smoked at least l pack of cigarettes a day then you should be able to purchase patch or ecigs cheaper. I believe if I was already using the ecig I would not even ask my doctor for NRT of course unless you didn't want to use ecigs anymore.

I believe you main problem was with your doctor and I agree this would have made me very upset. I would feel the same way you did. It should not matter what kind of insurance you have at least you have some kind. I would not go back to this doctor.

curiousJan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
Central IL
Welbutrin, is prescribed instead of brand Zyban, because generic is cheaper than brand and all the advertising that is included.

Welbutrin and Zyban are the exact same drug and both are brand names. The only difference is in the target disease ... Welbutrin being for depression and Zyban being for smoking cessation. Due to this difference in target disease, many insurance companies provide different levels of coverage. In my own experience, my carrier at the time wouldn't cover Zyban -- out-of-pocket cost was ~$100 per month -- but would cover Welbutrin -- at the normal $20 copay.

No matter anymore for me ... as receipt of my pv resulted in my almost immediate distaste for burning tobacco particulate.

Jan :rolleyes:

booboo

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2009
San Diego, CA
I think it's a CA thing. In MN, every visit to the doctor, I got begged to quit smoking...they prescribed patches and zyban and gave tons of encouragement. When I came to CA, the doctors didn't say a word about quitting, and when I asked for Zyban and Chantix, they said no. It's like they want you to smoke here to keep them in business. I got my chantix online and said I was depressed and got Wellbutrin, and spent hundreds on patches and gum and they all had terrible side effects and I kept on frying my lungs. The ecig has kept me smoke-free for over a year........

Milano

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2010
Long Island, N.Y.
I'm a little confused. Are you already using the ecig. If you do why would you want patchs or other NRT. You can get free patchs at several locations on the internet plus coupons to purchase them. If you smoked at least l pack of cigarettes a day then you should be able to purchase patch or ecigs cheaper. I believe if I was already using the ecig I would not even ask my doctor for NRT of course unless you didn't want to use ecigs anymore.

I believe you main problem was with your doctor and I agree this would have made me very upset. I would feel the same way you did. It should not matter what kind of insurance you have at least you have some kind. I would not go back to this doctor.

I believe what she was saying was that the cost to maintain an e-cig habbit is a bit too much for her at the moment, and was hoping her doctor would give her some prescription for an NRT so she could be off nic for good. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a pretty good memory and I haven't read the original post in over a day lol)

Anyway.. I also strongly advocate not going back to this doctor. I don't know the situation, if she's just the closest or someone who was recommended or what.. but.. I mean.. really? My dentist, for instance.. I've been seeing him for 18 years. I look forward to going there, and seeing how he is, and he's always happy to see me and ask about my family, etc. - THAT's what a doctor's visit should be, IMO. You should look forward to it, it should be comforting.

(I guess it also helps he was my 3rd grade teacher's husband and thats how I ended up there-- but back then he was just starting out in a dinky office. Now he's got 2 offices, was the first dentist in the county to do Laser Dentistry, lives in a million dollar house, etc.-- he's a big shot, but he's not unapproachable either, like some doctors (or anyone) can become)

ANYWAY, I bet if you asked her to get you on some Medical Marijuana, she'd get it for you in an instant, huh? All you'd have to tell her is that visiting her office makes you depressed! lol

ladysolitary85

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
California
I think it's a CA thing. In MN, every visit to the doctor, I got begged to quit smoking...they prescribed patches and zyban and gave tons of encouragement. When I came to CA, the doctors didn't say a word about quitting, and when I asked for Zyban and Chantix, they said no. It's like they want you to smoke here to keep them in business. I got my chantix online and said I was depressed and got Wellbutrin, and spent hundreds on patches and gum and they all had terrible side effects and I kept on frying my lungs. The ecig has kept me smoke-free for over a year........

All the more reasons why I want to move out of CA and in NV.... but then again, if I go to NV I'll ve really challenged with quitting in the sense of living in the smoker city.

I believe what she was saying was that the cost to maintain an e-cig habbit is a bit too much for her at the moment, and was hoping her doctor would give her some prescription for an NRT so she could be off nic for good. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a pretty good memory and I haven't read the original post in over a day lol)

Anyway.. I also strongly advocate not going back to this doctor. I don't know the situation, if she's just the closest or someone who was recommended or what.. but.. I mean.. really? My dentist, for instance.. I've been seeing him for 18 years. I look forward to going there, and seeing how he is, and he's always happy to see me and ask about my family, etc. - THAT's what a doctor's visit should be, IMO. You should look forward to it, it should be comforting.

My issue is I absolutely LOVE vaping and I plan on continuing that path, but lets just say my job is giving me 2 hrs a week as of now, so that puts me in a very tight spot. I've been needing to get my hands on some 24mg liquid because I don't think 16 (or 18 mg? think its 16) liquid isn't cutting it for me. I went to my doctor to kinda test waters with her to see if she could recommend me to a place that could help me. As far as your dentist, that's exactly how I feel, doctors should make you WANT to go back to them because you feel comfortable, you feel your in good hands (no, not trying to copy that car insurance commercial thingy lol), because you trust them and care about you. I don't feel that support from my doctor, so yes I don't plan on ever returning to her again.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Insurance companies usually won't cover medications that are available OTC unless one needs a stronger strength. They should cover Chantix, Zyban or Wellbutrin though.
You don't want to be prescribed Wellbutrin to quit smoking. It is an antidepressant medication, used to treat major depressive disorder. Anyone in the future reviewing your medical records, which is almost anybody these days, will assume you have a history of mental problems.

Cocky0

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2010
Hampton, SC
I didn't read the whole thread, but if it has not been mentioned yet, you can try to get Wellbutrin for smoking cessation. I managed to get a 3 month supply for nothing a few years back when I was coming home from a deployment. It worked great for me up until I ran out of pills, of course.....Anyways if the military was willing to prescribe and pay for them, perhaps your doctor/insurance company would do the same.

speedinggt

Feb 16, 2010
Arkansas
If you still want some one to help you quit.
The # for the free program which usually mails you free patches and
advice in California is 1-800-662-8887.
They close at 1 pm today but will be open Monday at 7am.

Most States have this program set up from the money they got
from the Tobacco Settlement.
I know a lot of people that have used it in Arkansas and its just
a few questions on the phone and they sent them enough patches for 10 weeks.

Good luck

bobtow

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2009
Wallaceburg ON. Canada
that is awesome news JRW!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
I have a cheapie syggestion. If the juice you are using is not strong enough, try directing the vapor under your tonque. If it works for you, it won't have cost you a dime. The reason prescriptions for nitro- glicerine prescribe that method, is because it get to the blood in the quickest way. You may find your juice more than adequate.

Mammal

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2010
Connecticut, USA
You don't want to be prescribed Wellbutrin to quit smoking. It is an antidepressant medication, used to treat major depressive disorder. Anyone in the future reviewing your medical records, which is almost anybody these days, will assume you have a history of mental problems.

I have a bit of depression and I take umbrage with that from a few angles. :nah:

First off, I have the impression that the majority of prescriptions are probably for smoking - every MD certainly knows it's used for smoking cessation. If you were that worried about stigma, you could opt to pay the premium for the Zyban brand name, which is the it's-exactly-the-same-thing-but-marketed-for-smoking branding. (Perhaps they can write for 'Zyban or generic' and save you the cash.) It's not even that commonly prescribed for depression, because the SSRIs test out about as effective and doctors are leery of the seizure risk (bigger problem before they developed the time-release). [So yeah, some of the people who do get it for depression have big problems and were unresponsive to SSRIs - but as many just asked for it because they knew about the smoking link - me, or because their doctors were enlightened enough to want to spare them the SSRI side effects.]

Next, here in the USA, half of everyone you meet is probably on something psychoactive, whether they need to be or not. And near everyone else is using the OTC options - nicotine, caffeine, ethanol...

It took me a while to realize, but:

• Nobody's looking (need proof? just look at the news);
  • If your doctor is going to react (or is reacting) to it in a way you don't trust, it's time to find a different doctor;
  • If you somehow get into a situation where it actually matters, you'll be getting an independent evaluation (or, chances are, have the right to request one);
  • Life's too short not to do what works.
As I already wrote elsewhere [maybe I should put this in my profile, heh], it cut my smoking in half, made the *AAAAAGH* discomfort of the cravings manageable... and probably does something to keep depression at bay, too. With insurance a month of it is running me less than a quarter of what a carton of smokes costs here, so... if you think it's going to work for you, don't let paranoia keep you from it - paranoia is in the DSM-IV, too. :D

(Yeah, three posts in and 2 are about bupropion... I've been lurking for a while, and reading from folks who are still in over 2 packs a day is reinforcing how effective it's been for me; I still 'like' smoking but I can't imagine finding time in the day to actually do that and not keel over!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread