The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

I CAN'T BELIEVE my doctor!

Discussion in 'Nicotine Replacement Therapy' started by ladysolitary85, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. ladysolitary85

    ladysolitary85 Super Member ECF Veteran

    Oct 31, 2009
    So here it is guys, I only have one pack of smokes (not stale this time, I figured my last pack should have a short but sweet parting and not end on a too bitter notice, sounds fair to me anyways) so anyways after this I'm done. I don't get paid til the 20th, so I can't go buy anymore. I wont have a choice, I might as well say my goodbyes to it.

    I went to my doctor today talk to her originally for my bronchitis issue thats
    actually going away... then she tells me I have allergies.... ummmm no I don't, I KNOW what allergies feel like and this wasn't that I'm actually feeling better.

    But the REAL reason why I went to see her was to ask her about quitting methods. I told her mine was the electric cigarette but I would like to explore other options as well.

    She told me "Your insurance wouldn't cover it"

    ....EXCUSE ME???

    Ok if a doctor can prescribe me Sudefed when I can easily get it over the counter... WHY can't they prescribe me patches or gum???? This really blows my mind. For a doctor to say "sorry but no, I can't help you"

    At that point my mind was boiling. Every doctor I've ever known would always ask me "how much do you smoke?" and give me a huge 15 min lecture on how I need to quit. The one time that I reach out for help I get a "I'm sorry"???? I was so embarrassed I rushed out of there like a kid hearing the ice cream truck! It takes a lot for me to ask for help and to be rejected like that was not cool in my book.

    I don't have money, as it is I'm the only one working and ALL of my cash has to go to bills and rent and nothing more.

    Is there any program in California that gives you free patches or gums? I thought I heard something like that somewhere on the forum.
  2. tims

    tims Senior Member ECF Veteran

    May 27, 2009
    PA, USA
    I thought the fed gov't got funds from big tobacco, to help people stop smoking, and to pay for kids heath care and what ever else they could dream up.

    I would check into that you would have to check around though, try looking here....

    Also if you got insurance go back and ask your DR, to write you a script, for the meds that help people stop smoking or some nerve pills. If your DR will not do it, and things get really bad go to the ER.

    Tell the DR in the ER you stop smoking, but need some thing to help you get through it, I'm sure they will give you a script for a week or 2. Your DR could be right that insurance will not cover nic gum or patch, but they should cover other meds to help you.

    I have yet to see a DR not give the meds to help stop, you may well be better off with nerve pills, it would help you feel better and most of it is your thinking. Like I said though, if I got bad I would just go to the ER, they are more helpful with stuff like that then people think.
  3. ladysolitary85

    ladysolitary85 Super Member ECF Veteran

    Oct 31, 2009
    Thanks Tim, I just wanted to freakin cry when she just denied me like that. Just because I have county insurance....? She couldn't recommend me to some place that COULD help me quit? It just blew my mind I've never came across a doctor that told me "no" when it came to quitting smoking.
  4. momswann

    momswann Senior Member ECF Veteran

    Nov 13, 2008
    Virginia, USA
    I'm sorry you were treated poorly by your doc. However, PLEASE do not go to the ER for stop smoking aid, it taxes an already overburdened system and adds cost to our healthcare system. Find another doc if you are not happy. Don't go to the ER unless you have an emergency that requires immediate care. Our ERs are already burdened by the uninsured who use it as a primary care setting. It adds billions to our healthcare costs.

    Thanks for listening.
  5. TaketheRedPill

    TaketheRedPill Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

    Aug 27, 2009
    Southern California
    California Smokers' Helpline

    this basically gives you the number of your local county health department - they may have a further referral to programs that give out free gum

  6. ladysolitary85

    ladysolitary85 Super Member ECF Veteran

    Oct 31, 2009
    Thanks Taketheredpill I'm going to give them a call tomorrow :) hopefully I can get something.

    and momswann, no worries I don't like going to the er unless I absolutely had to.
  7. tims

    tims Senior Member ECF Veteran

    May 27, 2009
    PA, USA
    You can also call your plan and ask them what they cover, very few cover nic stuff but a few do cover it, so if you do go to a DR it's good to let them know what is covered.

    While I agree the ER should be your last shot, our ER ask stuff to make sure, it's a emergency other wise they could bill you for it. And emergency is defined differently by different people and places, to me a emergency is when you need help right away, and you can't get it from a DR's office visit right away.
  8. Elendil

    Elendil Assclown Exterminator Verified Member ECF Veteran

    Supporting member
    Mar 28, 2009
    IL USA
    I don't understand.

    I didn't think patches or gum required a prescription?

    Were you asking for a prescription to get your insurance to pay for OTC remedies?
  9. koala61

    koala61 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

    Dec 19, 2009
    Insurance companies usually won't cover medications that are available OTC unless one needs a stronger strength. They should cover Chantix, Zyban or Wellbutrin though.
  10. Scottbee

    Scottbee Vaping Master ECF Veteran

    Sep 18, 2009
    Okauchee Lake, WI
    I'm kinda surprised that you are upset with your doctor. After all.. s/he doesn't decide what your insurance will cover.
  11. H3D

    H3D Senior Member ECF Veteran

    Dec 15, 2009
    A lot of the companies that make quit smoking aids will send you free samples if you request them. I got an entire pack of nicotine lozenges for free.
  12. Raven1

    Raven1 Super Member ECF Veteran

    Nov 24, 2009
    Akron, OH USA
    I agree. There's gotta be a free clinic in your area you could go to.
  13. SNM

    SNM Super Member ECF Veteran

    Nov 1, 2009

    That is true. My insurance wouldent cover Chantex I dont think any of them do..
  14. Raven1

    Raven1 Super Member ECF Veteran

    Nov 24, 2009
    Akron, OH USA
    Same here. My doc wanted me to use Chantix but my insurance didn't cover it either. Is that what the OP wants to use? Because if not, you can easily get nic gum/patches OTC.
  15. discoqueen

    discoqueen Full Member

    Jan 1, 2010
    My insurance covered Chantix - now granted I didn't get my usual $5 prescription, but I sure didn't pay full price for it. They also covered Wellbutrin and Nicotrol inhalers. Again with the inhalers, it wasn't a $5 script, but they did pay part.

    Double check your benefits with your insurance. There's a phone number on your insurance card. See what they will cover. If they won't cover anything, then I agree, go with gum/patches/lozenges OTC.
  16. mergryphon

    mergryphon Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

    Nov 9, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Most do not cover anything for smoking cessation, which is silly if they thought of their bottom line.

    However, Zyban and Wellbutrin are the same thing. Most will not cover zyban, but if your doctor writes the wellbutrin prescription as an anti-depressant, they will.
  17. PlanetScribbles

    PlanetScribbles Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

    Aug 3, 2009
    Londinium, Brittania
    I have loads of spare patches I don't need. I'm not sure if I could post a few to you, like if they will get thru customs being that they are meds? We get them free on the NHS over here.
    I have them as an emergency backup. If you want some, I can send some. PM me if you interested.
  18. Brewster 59

    Brewster 59 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

    It must differ with diff insurance, my insurance wont cover the gum but will cover wellbutrin and chantix with a 20 co pay.
  19. tims

    tims Senior Member ECF Veteran

    May 27, 2009
    PA, USA
    Also if you have ejuice, you can rub some on your skin to take up more nic, just don't over do it and that should boost you, for the times when you really need it. :)
  20. ladysolitary85

    ladysolitary85 Super Member ECF Veteran

    Oct 31, 2009
    It just blows my mind how a doctor can give you Sudefed and you can get it over the counter, but when it comes to quit smoking products I get a "no your insurance wont cover it" I know its not her fault, BUT at least refer me to a place that CAN help me.

    I'm not thrilled, but I know its not unheard of.

    I enjoy vaping but I can't afford to get the liquid with the stronger mg I need (16mg doesn't cut it for me) to cut the edge off. If I could I would of just done that.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice