I closed my tank too strong and now I can't open it

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
A small pair of these always works and wrap a rag or paper towel around the metal when you twist it. Hopefully common sense will tell you not to grab the glass.

4CR41_AS01

Reactions: bigkev68

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I have the eleaf ijust start vape pen and I closed my tank too strong and now I can't open it again to add more e liquid.
Do you have any tips on how to open it?

I have one of those rubber gripper thingys for opening jar lids, that I find terribly handy for opening my tanks!

You might want to pick one up just to have around, I got mine free but I'm sure they can't be more than a dollar or two..

http://m.ebay.com/itm/231853244928

You could probably find one cheaper coming from China..

I refuse to use tools which scratch up my tanks.. those rubber gripper thingys are awesome!

These things here are also specific to gripping your tanks better (on the backside) and can also be helpful .. with two you can either tighten or unscrew tightened tanks very well.. Multifunction Vape Tweezer w Ceramic Tip - $5.00 : Vapor King Vape Shops Official Home Page

Last edited:

batteredwombat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
Someone passed me an iJust2 tank which they'd managed to completely over-tighten.
I was confident it would be easy and I could do it without washing (or garden) gloves or tools.

I managed to put 3 slices in my fingers thanks to the 'fin' design Eleaf use on the base of that tank. :eek:
hahaha you got finned. I cant remember the atty I was struggling with but made my hands look like i was in a razor blade fight. The vice grips with leather, rag, ect works and if you have a vise do the same for the base. Freezer kinda works sometimes.

faeriekitsune

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2014
So. MD
From experience, any tank you're having problems unscrewing the bottom from the glass, try inserting an Allen key through the air flow and using it as a grip point to twist.

Tobeco super tanks are notorious for needing that straight out of the box. Their assembly machines must have Kung fu grip.

TimeWellWasted

Apr 11, 2017
As a mechanic of sorts (I do electrical installation on trains) , over tightening is a very common mistake of new mechanics. Especially the fresh out of school guys seem to think that unless they crank .... full force its not tight, but you'll be amazed how little force is needed when you start using a torque spanner especially

The grip is usually sealed by using a bolt / grower washer / washer connection. (I prefer this over self locking bolts anyday btw)
And all the force needed to have a good seal, is pressing the grower washer closed, which is a lot less then you would instinctively apply.

Of course this does not apply to our mods etc, but when I tighten my tank. I screw it on till I feel it is near the end and then with a loose two finger grip just give a small extra twist, like only 20° extra or something. Ive never ever had one come loose or get a bad connection. Same goes for your fill cap
A vape band is awesome to, it gives extra grip and will prevent tightening the tank when you screw shut your fill cap.

Best advice Ive read here is :

1) be patient!, you'll probably notice this on a hot device. It needs to cool, hot metal expands and tightens. Your fridge/freezer is your friend, anxiety is your enemy.
2) find extra grip, rubber gloves, rubber bands are all great tools. If you happen to have a tank that comes off but has a stuck fill cap. Try screwing it back on a device or a tank base to get more surface your hands can grip.
This one happened to me when some wick got stuck between the threads, my tank base and patience saved my day. I took 15 minutes of retrying before it finally happened.
3)In our workshop we sometimes use a hammer to shock a stuck connection into submission. But they way it was explained to me is that it loosens/breaks dirt and corrosion between the threads. So I'm not convinced this will help on our clean 510 connections, but someone mentioned tapping it with a screwdriver and it sure as hell wont damage so why not.
4)Using tools should a last resort imo, I can get a lot unstuck with a cobra pipe wrench but it will cause serious damage

edit : the picture posted above is a cobra pipe wrench, LAST RESORT! ;-)

Lois Bounds Langdon

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2014
Hamilton, Ohio, United States
Thank you so much! I eventually got it open by putting it in the freezer for about 3 hours and using a butter knife opening it from the airflow holes.
The airflow holes are great use to for the twist. Just hard to put into words on how. Lol

This lady loves to vape. Non-smoker since Mothers Day 2014. Best decision for better health and longer life.

Reactions: thetrucker

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I have the eleaf ijust start vape pen and I closed my tank too strong and now I can't open it again to add more e liquid.
Do you have any tips on how to open it?
Next time put the tank under a stream of hot running water, rotate all around for a minute or two, then use paper towels dampened or a wet washcloth on each end and twist to open. No tools or hours in the freezer required. I've never had a stuck tank that this method and a little muscle wouldn't open. Juice can get around the seals and harden, the hot water loosens everything up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread