I finally found the nads to do the "bottle mod".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Papa, using your method, isn't there a danger of pulling your hose off?
(Yeah, yeah, I know, go ahead and really let me have it.):)

Never had that problem, myself :)

In thinking more, I exert some upward pressure while prying. Once you do it once, you get the mechanics (okay, now let me have it).

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
The older I get, Spydro, the less inclined I am to "finish" projects I never got around to, especially if there isn't a pressing need for them. REO technology marches on, and it seems a lot of "hot" REO mods from a few years back, are unnecessary these days. TBH, I bought the woodvil's this time partly because they have the upgraded contacts, the new and improved 510, and they're low profile. My advice is to ponder all those things for a bit more, have a few sips/hits of whatever is your poison, and maybe sleep on them for a few nights. :)

Dating from the 40's/near the end of life what is and what is not going to get done around here leans very heavily to the it's not done side. Little things or big things doesn't really matter... the procrastination and so the outcome only effects me. The mini bottle mods on the surface were a great idea since I had to refill my first Reo Mini's stock one so many times a day/night. A spoiled thought considering I came from using endless rda's and RTA's/tanks that were far more bother and often problematic. The fuse mods were never needed since I don't drop springs and have a supply of them even if one did. The patina was an interest at first, but in the end not much different than wraps that I decided long ago I didn't want to use on any of my tube mods. As said all three were being hyped on the forum when I first started buying Reos. Now with a fair collection of them I mostly just love them as they came from Reoville, and any aesthetics are as simple as changing a door, atty or DT. BTW, I don't sleep either nights or days like most folks do, seldom even lay on my bed anymore, not for a long time, just grab a short nap now and then that might be days apart. :)

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
I hear ya on the sleeping part, I'm a 40's baby too. The sleeping thing got so bad, I got rid of the bed and only have a recliner to sleep in. Don't miss it at all. I'm in the throes of an ongoing "project" to clean out my shed/workshop, getting rid of tools and supplies I'll never use again. That's my one consistant project, although I'm into year #2 on it ;)

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Yep, my occasional naps are in a recliner or my office desk chair. Have that same ongoing project, have been working on mine when I feel up to the task since 2005 when I lived in a large ranch house with endless room and storage. But I doubt I'll live long enough to complete it. I have not even been to my storage units for around a year and a half where most of my collections, heirlooms, tools/wood shop and the Corvette are (if any of it is still there). Have just been working on what's in the house, most of which is no longer used or needed. For a few years I sold a lot of of my collectible/hobby stuff on-line until I got tired of dealing with so many trolls and stopped selling anything. Since then it's all thrown away.

Reactions: Joules_Verne

EagleTa2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I am reluctant to mod my grands any more than I already have.

All of my grands started out life as standard grands with old contacts. I have since given 3/5 of them a haircut to make them LP.
Two of them run the new firing pins from Rob, the balance run firing pins that I have made myself (out of BeCu strip) and work equally well

I tried the fuse mod and it was underwhelming. I even designed and made a fuse block that would be able to take a mini spade fuse without bending or anything so I could just run to a store and replace it if needed. The result - the mod misfired often and I never actually needed it. In almost 2 years of using grands I have dropped one spring - and it was my fault. (drank too much one night and didn't care to lock the switch when I put the mod in my pocket and it fired for a LONG time). I may have an old spring or two laying around, but I do not expect to need them.

I haven't tried the bottle mod because I just haven't had the problems that others have had yet. Perhaps the kind of juice I enjoy doesn't affect the orings, and I am lucky for that.

I guess the bottom line is that I watch what Rob does to the mods. I feel like if the bottle mod was the next best thing to sliced bread, Rob would have converted new grands to come that way... like he did with the LP, firing pin, spring, button, 510, etc etc etc, although I have noticed that some other mfg of bf devices handle their bottle that way.

Thanks,
Geo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread