Not open for further replies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I'm just not willing to Jump on the "All Metal from China is Garbage" boat.

Some are. And Some Aren't.

I just know that before Sandvik started to Enforce their Trademark Rights, that a Lot of Coil Wire and coils were used by people under the Kanthal name. And there wasn't much talk about Authentic vs Non-Authentic Kanthal.

Could be that ChelsB got some Junk coils off e-Bay? Or maybe the Post Screws are crimping the Legs? Hard to say.

:)

I agree. I just buy from Temco because I know that it's good quality wire, the price is right and the shipping is free. I don't want to take any chances with my wire... I don't want to risk buying some questionable alloy with impurities in it.

Reactions: ChelsB

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
With practice, a jeweler's mandrel, a set of drill bits, or a set of precision screwdrivers can be used to make great coils. Those are almost all I use. I do also have the CoilMaster v3 and v4 (which I greatly prefer over the CoilMaster v2 and Kuro jigs [had a set and PIFed 'em]... love the longer mandrel), an older Tobeco jig (avoid... they're a PITA), and the kinda funky, but awesome, VapeOnly Tenna jig.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

whiteowl84

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2016
I'm just not willing to Jump on the "All Metal from China is Garbage" boat.

Some are. And Some Aren't.

I just know that before Sandvik started to Enforce their Trademark Rights, that a Lot of Coil Wire and Coils were used by people under the Kanthal name. And there wasn't much talk about Authentic vs Non-Authentic Kanthal.

Could be that ChelsB got some Junk Coils off e-Bay? Or maybe the Post Screws are crimping the Legs? Hard to say.
The 316l and mild steel we used to build tow boats, tug boats and barges came from China. It wasn't cheap either.
From time to time maybe 3x a shift I'd be running a vertical and it would just fall out. I asked my supervisor why and he said something like "It's Chinese metal. We've been through several mills and this is the best we've found. It's all full of slag. Just fill the hole and keep going."
Using US metal I've never had it happen one time.
I'm sure there are good metals made there but I highly doubt they'll use it it so we can have the cheapest wire and attys. [emoji1]

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
With practice, a jeweler's mandrel, a set of drill bits, or a set of precision screwdrivers can be used to make great coils.

Right. But it takes a lot of practice and patience... I never had any luck with those. :facepalm:

I made my first coil around a toothpick. :D I prefer my jigs. :lol:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
The 316l and mild steel we used to build tow boats, tug boats and barges came from China. It wasn't cheap either.
From time to time maybe 3x a shift I'd be running a vertical and it would just fall out. I asked my supervisor why and he said something like "It's Chinese metal. We've been through several mills and this is the best we've found. It's all full of slag. Just fill the hole and keep going."
Using US metal I've never had it happen one time.
I'm sure there are good metals made there but I highly doubt they'll use it it so we can have the cheapest wire and attys. [emoji1]

Like I said, before Sandvik started serving notices to people, Kanthal was Kanthal. And there wasn't any thought given to Trademarks or who held a Valid US Patents.

In fact, I would venture to say that Very Few even knew who Sandvik was/is.

BTW - Speaking of SS. I wonder how much of the SS Wire/Coils that people use today comes from China?

Hdivr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
Rolla MO
The only time I've ever had coil legs break was due to sharp screws. I had one atomizer that cut every wire I tried to install. Tightened them down lightly and then "bam"..... clipped.

Maybe your screws are too "sharp" and is slightly cutting the wire. When heat is applied, that would be the weak spot.

Take your screws and run the ends over some fine sandpaper to knock down any possible rough edges. After doing this, I've been able to really tighten down on even 30 gauge Kanthal without it breaking.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
The only time I've ever had coil legs break was due to sharp screws. I had one atomizer that cut every wire I tried to install. Tightened them down lightly and then "bam"..... clipped.

Maybe your screws are too "sharp" and is slightly cutting the wire. When heat is applied, that would be the weak spot.

Take your screws and run the ends over some fine sandpaper to knock down any possible rough edges. After doing this, I've been able to really tighten down on even 30 gauge Kanthal without it breaking.

What a great idea! I'm going to start removing the screws now!

whiteowl84

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2016
Fastenal has about any size and tip you could want. Sometimes it's not the screw but the threads going down lower than the post hole. The only attys I've seen that break leads are due to the screw being able to go past the post holes but most don't do that anymore. It's just my older stuff that does that.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I just checked my order and it's a coil master. Luckily, I only paid $5.83 for it, so if I don't like it, I won't be out much $![emoji4]

Bingo!

Just like I have my "Tip Rule" when thinking about Saving Money. I also have a "PAD Rule" for trying New e-Cigarette stuff.

And the PAD Rule says that if I'm buying something that is Similar in cost to what I spent for a Pack of Cigarettes per Day, if it doesn't work I just Toss it or PIF it and move on.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Bingo!

Just like I have my "Tip Rule" when thinking about Saving Money. I also have a "PAD Rule" for trying New e-Cigarette stuff.

And the PAD Rule says that if I'm buying something that is Similar in cost to what I spent for a Pack of Cigarettes per Day, if it doesn't work I just Toss it or PIF it and move on.

I do the same thing. If it costs as much as a pack, I don't mind if I don't like it. It just goes into the vapocalypse stash. And with cigs going up significantly this April (in CA), that amount is about to increase![emoji38]

Reactions: zoiDman

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Kanthal has various patents for different alloys of Kanthal??? Well, I think I would spring for the best. That means different vendors may be selling different quality levels.

Many, many manufacturers purposely have different levels of quality to hit different types of consumers.

I went into a dollar store a while back for a loaf of bread. The date on it was for the next day. Where did they get this bread, was it sold to them to clear out a bakery stock? Was the quality, at that point, less?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I do the same thing. If it costs as much as a pack, I don't mind if I don't like it. It just goes into the vapocalypse stash. And with cigs going up significantly this April (in CA), that amount is about to increase![emoji38]

Yeah... The 64,000 Dollar Question is How Much will e-Liquids/e-Cigarettes go Up in April ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread