Single parallel better than dual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France
Hi,

I've been vaping on a regulated mod with a single coil RDA (Dead Rabbit SQ) for a few weeks. Recently, I bought the Pulse BF kit, so I've been experimenting with both the mech world and dual coil setups.

I've tried various wires in various gauges with the pulse RDA, but hardly got a satisfying result. The best build I had is a dual coil 26AWG KA1, 2.5mm 5 half wraps. Of course these coils are spaced, or else the wire would be located right between the two air holes on each side, so the airflow wouldn't really hit the coils.
Out of curiousity, I built a similar single parallel coil on my DR SQ, only it's a contact coil (since the air holes are cyclops, contact coils work really well). Surprisingly, the DR gave a much better vape!

I've compared both RDAs on my regulated mod. The build on the pulse reads 0.33ohm, the DR 0.29 (the legs are shorter on the DR). Turns out the pulse needed more wattage, even though the resistance is a bit higher, to provide a vape similar to the DR.
To confirm the test, I put the BF pin on my DR, and put it on the Pulse mod, and the vape is awesome!

Now, of course the chambers, airflow, etc, are not the same on both RDAs, but I believe the difference is mostly caused by the coil build.
I've always thought of a parallel build as a dual coil for a single coil RDA, so basically it would perform close to, but not as good as a true dual coil. So I'm really surprised to see that the contrary seems closer to the truth.

Would anyone else care to weigh in with their own experience comparing single parallel and dual coils? It'll help me know if the single parallel is actually better than spaced dual coils, maybe it's not and it just comes from the RDAs, or whatever

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
You obviously have much more experience than I concerning. In my very limited experience, it seemed dual parallel had much better flavor. But I tried them on an unregulated when I’m used to a hadaly clone with single coil. So I can’t truly compare. After trying the dual only yesterday, I now know that I want more RDA’s! So this is actually teaching me:)

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Never heard of a single parallel or how there could be one ;)

single vs parallel coils, it's all what works best for you. I have a few single coil addy's and they work well. I mostly vape on dual parallel coils with jumping over to triple parallels and dual series builds from time to time.

Reactions: NatashaTMT

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
hqdefault.jpg

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle

There's no such thing as a single parallel for parallel is "side by side" so how can a single be side by side itself?

Dictionary -
par·al·lel
ˈperəˌlel/
adjective
  1. 1.
    (of lines, planes, surfaces, or objects) side by side and having the same distance continuously between them.
    "parallel lines never meet"

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Vaping is a very subjective thing. For me I don't like single coil anything. I have a couple single coil RDAs that I don't use. I will always choose a dual coil over single coil everytime.

I never liked duals even back to ProTanks. Now in TC I can stand them but I prefer single.

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France
I'm mostly limited in my experience with dual coils as my regulated is 22mm and I can't stand overhang, even indoor, I just don't like it, so I only ever used this RDA on my mech Pulse mod. I'll do some more experiments whenever I get a bigger regulated mod on which I'll be able to run pretty much any build I like. I'm still experimenting with my mech to see what builds are efficient, and this is only with simple, round wires...

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
The reason it takes more power to get a dual coil to vape like a single is because you have to heat up twice the amount of wick and juice. When you heat up a coil, it has to heat up the wick and juice inside of the coil for the coil it's self to heat up, because it is all in contact with each other. A dual coil has double the contents inside the coil to heat than a single coil.

I started on duals, but I cannot tolerate them anymore. I get just as good of a vape off a single and use less juice and less battery power.

The pulse RDAs are very picky about coil placement. I find I get the best vape from it when the coils are slightly above the end of the airflow tubes, where the air is going to strike the bottom of the coil.

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
Probably because it isn’t possible:laugh: I’m trying but I just don’t know much in this area yet but working on it. Though I cracked myself up with that one!:lol:

Edit:
I responded after reading your comment after mine up top before reading the other comments. So, guess it is possible... and I’m still learning.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Probably because it isn’t possible:laugh: I’m trying but I just don’t know much in this area yet but working on it. Though I cracked myself up with that one!:lol:

Edit:
I responded after reading your comment after mine up top. So, guess it is possible... and I’m still learning.
It's been a really rough day for me today, like I said I woke up late for work today and it's only been downhill since then .................

This has been me the entire day ;)

latest

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
It's been a really rough day for me today, like I said I woke up late for work today and it's only been downhill since then .................

This has been me the entire day ;)

latest
I learned a bit more from your thread. Now I’ll never forget it:laugh: Sorry to hear about your day! At least tomorrow will have to be better:)

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Anyway on topic, yeah a single parallel coil would be a decent vape. I use a fused clapton with
I cannot abide single coils even if they are massive, they always seem anemic.
Yeah I used to agree with that until I got the Fogworx Slider, that is the best performing single coil RTA I've ever Vaped on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread