is there a "break in period" for coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

element9633

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I posted a thread yesterday about my new mech (k101) and my rba (nimbus). I was building dual coil setups with twisted 30g at 5-6 wraps around a 5/16 drill bit. I was not getting the vapor I wanted, and I ended up pulling out one of the coils, and doing a single coil setup. throughout today (the day after my coil was built) my coil has been hitting wonderfully! do coils just take time to break in or something

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I have never found that any of my coils needed a break in period. But I have never built any coils on a bigger than 3/16" drill. These days I use dual micro coils in my Trident which are about 1/16"diameter, I wrap on a 1/8" drill bit for my Genisis and insert SS mesh, or I wrap onto about 3/16" of Ekowoll for my Kayfun.

What are you using for wick? Also, what resistance are you making?

Wicked & Coiled

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2014
Stratford, NJ
5/16 is a really BIG coil.

I have dual twisted 30ga wound as micros (w/ a 2mm I.D.) in my Genny. Works amazingly.

Are you familiar with twisted/braided Kanthal? There is a "ramp-up" time. They don't get as hot as single wire strands in the same time. They take a good 2-3 seconds to build up appropriate heat. It's more suited for a "long vape". Not a fast single-draw kind of thing. More suited for two or three long, successive mouth-to-lung draws at a time, without burning juice.

I tend to see braided wire as more for flavor than vapor. Vapor is good from them, but not noticeably better than a single-wire microcoil. Flavor is way crisper, and that ramp-up works great for Genesis' to draw the juice up to the coils.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
When my cotton wick is proper density and diameter the vapor tastes great immediately; no cotton undertones. My cotton wick batting avg is good as of late; my first cotton wicks had cotton undertones for a ml or so. A fresh coil produces the best flavor but flavor will dumb down to a stable flavor after a few ml. Clean juices like unflavored have a stable flavor for many ml; like 100+ ml. Some gunky juices will foul wick in less than one day. To extend the best flavor I no longer torch or even dry burn glow a new coil; coil retains new silver look much longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread