Status
Not open for further replies.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Have been looking at hybrids for the last week and came across this. Anyone have some insight on it. They are starting to show up in a few places...

Ikarus 2.1 Hybrid Mod 1.jpg Ikarus 2.1 Hybrid Mod 2.jpg Ikarus 2.1 Hybrid Mod 3.jpg Ikarus 2.1 Hybrid Mod 4.jpg

SeattleVapo

Sep 10, 2013
Seattle
Did you receive it yet? Mine should be here mid-week. I'm surprised there aren't any reviews of the official model online but only for the first version.

The reduced chamber and adjustable air holes plus the look is what caught my attention. I chose this because I wanted to try a hybrid before I invest in the real thing ... since I've read this is a 1:1

Edit: Sorry, not adjustable air holes or reduced chamber. I had a genny model in my head but I am waiting patiently for my model.

Last edited:

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Unfortunately it didn't arrive yesterday and not sure about today either. I am located at the moment in Coal City, Il. where on Sunday a tornado touched down and destroyed parts of town and some of the roads are closed off to all traffic and packages didn't make it to the post office as scheduled. I am hoping it will arrive today. I too am surprised there hasn't been any reviews either. Although it is brand new to the market, so it makes sense. I kinda liked this one a little better looks wise over the Rainbow Heaven Hybrid Elite mod. I probably should've went with that one, but I figured if I was going to have to do any kind of modifications, I would rather do it to this one. I like the idea of the glass tank/metal cover also. I think with the Hybrid Elite, the glass tank wouldn't work with the cover. I have a tendency to drop my mods on occasion and wanted that added safety feature. I will try to put something on here later today after the mail arrives...

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Received my 2.1 clone before the weekend and thought I'd put it through a workout prior to posting... It was packaged very nicely and even had spare o-rings, wire, mesh and screws. Pulled it out of the box and my first thought was, damn this thing is heavy. It was almost as heavy, w/ no battery yet, as my Natural in 18350 w/ RSST installed!! Second thought was, damn this thing is small... About an inch smaller than my Natural in 18350 w/ RSST installed!! Impressive and compact. That's what I was looking for. Pulled off the top cap and found it was already set-up w/ dual coils and mesh... Total joke on the setup though! Hotspots for days. I'm not sure what gauge wire it was setup with, nor what was in the spare parts, but found them useless to me so I tossed it right away and rebuilt it w/ 28g... I only set it up single coil for now and will venture to duals in the future. Part of the reason I ordered this was to try out duals. I set it up with a 8 wrap 1.4Ω macro coil and SS mesh. Filled it with juice and was off and running. Vaped really well from the start. I found the flavor was better than my RSST and think that is due to the top cap having a reduced chamber. It was putting out some decent vapor but really not what I was used to with my RSST. I fixed that right away by drilling out the air hole to 1/16"... Didn't change the flavor and now the vapor is on par with the RSST. I may even open it just a little more to 5/32"... Not sure... I chain vaped it for a solid 5 minutes and not one dry hit at all!!! Was even more impressed. This being my first bottom button device has been the biggest learning curve I think i've had with any APV i've owned so far. I can see why some people don't care for them. Being a few days in now, I am getting used to it. The switch seemed to be hanging up at first, but I think it was more of me not pushing it in straight and more of an angle. I am getting a lot better at it now that I figured out to fire it more with my pinky knuckle than the tip on my finger. It doesn't seem to hang up now. Yesterday I experimented with a few setup's and think I have a new winner... 28g 3/4 wrap 1.1Ω w/ 3/32" SS cable/400 SS mesh... I think it actually wicks better than the previous setup I had. It took me a little while to get rid of the hot spots in it, but when I finally did, it was a winner in my book. The only negative I have encountered, it was supposed to come with an 18650 tube and I guess Tobeco didn't send the tubes with Venerable Vaping's order. In talking with Andy, I got the feeling they never even made the tubes and therefore, won't be sending them out... I am thinking of buying an 18500 tube for the real 2.1 just to see if it will fit. The only place I have found them is internationally and with shipping would be a little more than what I paid for what I have... I would like a little more battery life though, so I might pick one up... Here are a few pics of it...
20131121_182902.jpg 20131121_201422.jpg 20131121_203506.jpg

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Just a quick update... I am very impressed with this device. Still vaping great with the same setup so far. Vapor is very good and taste and TH is off the charts. I think it has gotten better in the last week. I am really liking the SS cable/mesh combo. I can almost vape the tank completely dry as well. I think the problem I was experiencing with the switch has worked its way out. I think it was more, me, than the device. It hasn't hung up at all in the last 5 days or so. I am getting used to the bottom switch and really like it so much, it feels weird when I vape my Natural!! I am still bummed about not actually getting the 18650 tube with the purchase as was advertised, but what can you do? I wish more of these devices were made here stateside. I did order an 18500 tube and a kick ring for it though. They are for the actual Ikarus, but was assured by the vendor it would fit my clone. They said it fit their clone so it should fit mine. They even said they would take them back and refund the purchase if they didn't but again assured me they would. I'm hoping the 2 tubes together will allow me to use the 18650's but I'm still good with it in 18500 mode though. I'll update this thread when they come in...

Zuko

Oct 24, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Just ordered one yesterday. I don't think there is a 18650 tube for this or the original to I ordered the 18500 and Kick for the original (which when put together allows the use of an 18650). Can you please update us when you receive the 18500 and Kick and let us know how it fits?

I plan on buying the daedalus 510 adapter as well next pay check. The cheapest I have found it for was $85. You planning on buying it?

Chris

zipflint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Spartanburg, SC
Got one of these yesterday, I really REALLY dig it. Yeah, the top cap is a #($@! to remove, and to replace. I used a tiny bit of vaseline on the bottom and that helped a lot. VG wasn't accomplishing much.

I kinda want to drill out the air hole just a bit, but I've got a pretty cheap dremmel. This thing feels like it's made of iron. The LAST thing I want to do is go at it and immediately scar the top cap. I don't have a vice so I'd have to do this all free hand. Am I asking for trouble?

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
I drilled mine out freehand, and yes, was hard to drill, broke the bit, scratched the top cap!!! No biggie, it's not that bad. I've showed it off to a few people and no one noticed it until I pointed it out... I drilled it out to 1/16" and it made a considerable difference. I am wondering if maybe I should go to 5/64"... It's not airy at all. Overall it is a very stout feeling device though. I have a temporary fix for the button as well. I took a 4m x .7 screw and cut it down and ground the top to put in the threaded part of the switch and it is much better. Shorter throw and it fires everytime I press it... Now I just need to get a solid brass screw to modify and put in there and it will be done.

Here's a pic...
20131130_173750.jpg

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Vape mail arrived and it's not good... The 2.1 clone "IS NOT" a 1:1 copy of the original 2.1... I've already notified the vendor I bought clone from and he is changing the description on his website or maybe he will put a disclaimer on it. The difference is the threading!!! The real Ikarus has finer threading. I have a friend that is a machinist and he seems to think he can do something with them to make them work. I have seen some machinists work miracles in the past, but I'm a little skeptical on this one. It's only a $55 hit!! If he can't do anything with them, I'm sure I could sell them on the classy's somewhere. Just wanted to let everyone know what my findings were.

zipflint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Spartanburg, SC
Can I ask where the one with the bad(?) threads came from? Mine came from 101vape and the threads are fine. The whole thing got a thorough alcohol+water cleaning, and subsequent thread-rubdown with Noalox. I noticed when disassembling it outta the box that it was a little bit crunchy, but nothing I hadn't encountered before. No burs or metal shavings.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
I think you misunderstood me... I ordered an 18500 tube and a kick ring for the "real" Ikarus 2.1, (hoping it would fit the supposed 1:1 clone), and they have a finer thread than the 2.1 "clones" we have. It was just to inform everyone that the "clone" is "not" a 1:1 copy of the original... My clone had no problems out of the box, with the exception of the button issue I had. Corrected that though...

zipflint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Spartanburg, SC
Derp! Yeah I misunderstood. Thanks for providing that information though!

I think you misunderstood me... I ordered an 18500 tube and a kick ring for the "real" Ikarus 2.1, (hoping it would fit the supposed 1:1 clone), and they have a finer thread than the 2.1 "clones" we have. It was just to inform everyone that the "clone" is "not" a 1:1 copy of the original... My clone had no problems out of the box, with the exception of the button issue I had. Corrected that though...

Zuko

Oct 24, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Vape mail arrived and it's not good... The 2.1 clone "IS NOT" a 1:1 copy of the original 2.1... I've already notified the vendor I bought clone from and he is changing the description on his website or maybe he will put a disclaimer on it. The difference is the threading!!! The real Ikarus has finer threading. I have a friend that is a machinist and he seems to think he can do something with them to make them work. I have seen some machinists work miracles in the past, but I'm a little skeptical on this one. It's only a $55 hit!! If he can't do anything with them, I'm sure I could sell them on the classy's somewhere. Just wanted to let everyone know what my findings were.

Yeah, just know got the tubes in the mail... Can't decide if it's worth the hassle trying to get a refund.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Yeah, just know got the tubes in the mail... Can't decide if it's worth the hassle trying to get a refund.

I am sure between the restocking fee and return postage, it's probably better to try and sell them here stateside or see if they or the 2.1 can be rethreaded to fit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread