Not open for further replies.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Hey @Outcast! DIY is pretty awesome. I started about 2-1/2 years ago. I'm not as "precise" as a lot of other folks might be around here, but my method works for me.

I have a bunch of 1ml pipettes and a few 3ml pipettes. I use the 1ml for my flavorings (1% flavoring = 0.1ml) and I mix right into my dispensing bottles. I might "round" my percentages a smidge based on how I draw in the pipette. My nic is VG and I top with plain VG (so max VG is my "percentage")

Since my early recipes came from the TFA thread, most of my flavorings are TFA, and I've become familiar with the percentages. I generally can swap CAP for TFA at about the same percentage with no noticeable difference (at least to me) in flavor. However, other flavoring manufacturers may need more or less, depending on who/what it is.

Find a few recipes that interest you. Try to keep it simple at first: 3-4 flavors at most. Then, as you get comfortable, you can expand your flavorings and your repertoire.

Good luck. You will have a blast!

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I mix right in the juice bottle with a syringe, shake well, heat bath steep, good to go. It's not rocket Science

I mix right into the eliquid bottle, too, by volume. I don't use any beakers, graduated cylinders, pipettes, etc. either. Just a few syringes and blunt needle tips. Works great for me, too!

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@Outcast - If I were you, especially since you're totally new to DIY...I'd go with no higher than 100mg/mL nic base. Yes, some places sell the 200mg, but I'd discourage that until you've had lots of practice with using a lower mg/mL.

By the way, RTS vapes will price match their nic base with some other place. RTS, Nude Nicotine, Wizard Labs all have really good, clear, not peppery, nic base, IMO. Others on here like and use Heartland nic base, as well as Carolina Extract, too. Quite a few others like MFS, especially for use in tobacco flavored mixes. I tried it, and it was alittle too "peppery" for me, but that's just my own opinion.

Outcast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Vermont
Ya my last job I was a Platter technician for a aerospace company mixing caustic acid's for a platting worked in a lab testing I'm not new in using beakers and pipette and all that kinda stuff working with satiric acid and fun stuff like that been throw and certified would not think this would be any harder lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
I mix right into the eliquid bottle, too, by volume. I don't use any beakers, graduated cylinders, pipettes, etc. either. Just a few syringes and blunt needle tips. Works great for me, too!
Me too. :thumb:

I use these for flavorings 309659 - 1 mL BDTM slip-tip disposable tuberculin syringe, Pack of 200: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific (I'm soooo cheap that I rinse them with water and rubber band them to the bottle ;)).
Larger syringes can be bought at Tractor Supply, or many places online.

With so many little hands and curious minds wandering about, I'd recommend a locking ammo box (cheap on Amazon) for your nicotine.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
A quick question, I hope no one minds: what are the blunt tip needless for?

Folks use them to draw the flavors - since the syringe is graduated, you can get a pretty accurate measurement without waste. As I mentioned, I just use disposable pipettes for that. You have to be careful with the syringes, as the PG can wear away the markings. Many will use clear packing tape or even clear nail polish to cover the numbers for longevity

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Agree with member Dinger. To add to that, I use a blunt 14 gauge needle for also filling my tanks. I get the luer lock caps and stoppers for my everyday liquid storage bottles and the needles will fit on those and all of the syringes, 1 ml on up. The 1ml syringes are not luer lock but the needles just slip on and stay put until you pull them off. Once I have used a syringe, I immediately rinse it out. I haven't had any problems with any of the markings wearing off and I have been using the same ones(I have several of each size) since I started DIY.
I only really use the needle on the 1ml syringe to draw up flavorings that only need 1 ml or less for the recipe. And I use the 1 ml for measuring my nic as I only vape 3mg so on a 30 ml bottle I only need 0.9ml(using 100mg/ml). On the larger sizes of the syringes, I screw on the luer stoppers and use them as a cylinder to measure my favors and then just pour the measured amount right into the mixing bottle. I too mix right in the bottle and when all ingredients are in it, just shake and either vape or put up for steeping(aging).

:)

If my math is right 100mg is 1.8 ml in 30ml bottle with 1000ml in 1l that's about 500 bottles

I would suggest 48mg nic or lower if you're just starting out. If you do the math using nicotineriver, it's cheaper to purchase AND the concentration is low enough not to be considered as hazmat. Better shipping options and safer to use. As you have already found out, a little goes a long way.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

I use them for several things. Since I always have glass polycone bottles steeping I use the 14ga needle to draw juice out and fill my Kayfun tank. I don't transfer those to LDPE soft bottles until it's time to mix a new batch. It's especially handy if you have unflavored in 120ml bottles that haven't been transferred to thin tip bottles.

Cover the milliliter gradation numbers with clear packing tape before use. On the disposables those wear off in a few uses. The tape keeps them pristine.

Last edited:
Reactions: dyanaprajna

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
If my math is right 100mg is 1.8 ml in 30ml bottle with 1000ml in 1l that's about 500 bottles

That sounds about right.

I mix 50ml batches. At my 3% nic strength it's 1.5ml per 50ml bottle. The easiest formula I've run across is this one. The full explanation is in the link below. At my 3% nic mix level I could do 667 50ml bottles from a liter of 100mg/ml nic base.

Target Strength / Starting Strength * bottle size = amount of 100mg/ml nic to add to bottle. Divide that number into the bottle size in milliliters to get the number of bottles a liter would make.

Nicotine Labs - Nicotine Dilution Guide

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'm going to diy but why I'm so hesitant I have 4 kids 2yo-11 any my wife is kinda nerves to keep the bace in the house I have a chest freezer out in the garage so that may be what I need to do for storing

A locked metal box in the freezer with nic inside might be the ticket (as Rickb119 wrote). Hide the key well.

Last edited:

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
Please excuse me for nitpicking, but 3mg nic is 0,3% nic. Not trying to be a smartass here, honestly :) New 3mg DIY'ers entering 3% nic in there mixing calc(e.g. steam-engine's mixing-calc by default uses nic percentages), would have somewhat of a surprise coming to them, or at-least a slight coughing fit probably, after first good lunghit ;)

Last edited:

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread