International flights with Vape stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedingkyo

Feb 14, 2015
Hanover, PA
I've seen a few discussions on this in the search but none quite answered all of my questions. (most were about juice,18650 batteries, or domestic flights with 1 device)

I haven't flown internationally since I started vaping. I'm just wondering how/where to pack everything. I'm flying from the US to Italy via Russia. I'm going for awhile so i'm taking almost everything. For juice and tanks/coils i'm just going to pack them in my checked bags. What i'm more worried about is what to do with batteries. All of my devices are internal batteries (istick, twists) so is it better to turn them off and take off the tank and pack them in checked? Or is it better to carry them on? I have quite a few (+ a friend's stuff) so i'd hate to carry them on but i'm worried they might get damaged because it gets pretty cold down in those luggage compartments. If I carry on them on do I have to take everything out for the security check like you have to with laptops and ipads? Is it better to keep tanks on them so TSA knows what they are or are they getting pretty familiar with what this stuff looks like. I don't want anything confiscated obviously but I can see how they look a bit suspicious without tanks.

Last edited:

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
No, you can not check your batteries, it's illegal. TSA is remarkably good at knowing what vape gear is. I've traveled domestically a number of times without them batting a eye. If you are carrying a lot of juice, you will have to pack it in checked luggage. You'll want to double bag it and have as little air in the bottles as possible.

You do not have to pull out your vape gear during the TSA check, as far as I know, on international flights but if you're taking half a B&M's worth it probably wouldn't hurt. I have no clues about what Russia permits or doesn't permit, others can probably tell you. Have fun!

Reactions: bleedingkyo

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
It is easier to have all carry on electronics together in a zip lock bag and to put the bag in the x-ray bin. A number of times I have had to dig through my carry on pulling out battery packs, phones, a camera, cords... Such items can look like what they are not on x-ray.
I haven't been to Russia since 2003, but I remember security being pretty tight. I don't think Russia has any restrictions on e cigarettes, though...

Last edited:

bleedingkyo

Feb 14, 2015
Hanover, PA
It is easier to have all carry on electronics together in a zip lock bag and to put the bag in the x-ray bin. A number of times I have had to dig through my carry on pulling out battery packs, phones, a camera, cords... Such items can look like what they are not on x-ray.
I haven't been to Russia since 2003, but I remember security being pretty tight. I don't think Russia has any restrictions on cigarettes, though...

Good idea with the bag, I'll do that. Even before I was vaping I was that obnoxious person who had a million electronic devices floating around and almost always forgot one when the bag went through...

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
Good idea with the bag, I'll do that. Even before I was vaping I was that obnoxious person who had a million electronic devices floating around and almost always forgot one when the bag went through...

At Schiphol it is a rule when going through security that all electronics and things with a cord go in a ziplock bag. I learned that the hard way...

Reactions: bleedingkyo

bleedingkyo

Feb 14, 2015
Hanover, PA
How the heck did you wind up with a flight like that?

Oops. Never mind, you answered while I was typing.

If its under $200 difference I usually go for the short route, but for 400 no way. I checked every airline and flight I could find but that was the best option, probably not the best period to go (i normally travel in fall/winter, not spring). I did Europe-Japan with a 10 hour layover in Doha before, not as bad as it sounds ;) I travel a lot for concerts so I go for cheap rather than convenience.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
At least it was paved. :lol:

Well, most of it...
Paris is the worst airport I will never go through again. It looked like it had been bombed in WW2 and never repaired in some sections. I had to switch terminals and catch a shuttle to another terminal. I waited 30 minutes for the shuttle in a room with no power. I could see the terminal across the way. The bus drove around the airport, seemingly for 30 minutes, when I could have walked in 5. I had almost 3 hours for a layover and nearly missed my connection, as I had to go through security and customs at the other terminal, which looked and smelled like a refugee camp. Of course, my bag didn't make it to Prague. When I called Delta, they said, "Yeah, that's Paris for you." Never again...

Reactions: FlamingoTutu

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
We flew through Dallas once and our connecting flight was a few gates down. They told us to take a shuttle which we thought was the epitome of laziness and walked. And walked and walked and walked. Nearly missed the flight. Everything is bigger or farther in Texas. Several minutes after we took off we still only a couple hundred feet off the ground. Fly out of Burbank and the minute you're off the ground it's a vertical assent. Athens, Greece was the opposite. There was unrest there at the time and we descended so fast many people passed out. Been on bumpy runways but none as bad as you have.

Reactions: stevegmu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread