Is my battery damaged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Molina

Aug 16, 2017
Hello! I've been a lurker mostly in this forums. I started vaping 3 months ago and I am using a smok AL85 mod. pretty decent thing, if the RBA base is bit hard to do right. Anyhow, I decided to join you all since you have all been super helpful in my vaping trip.

I do have a question tho. TOday i got a message on my mod
"check battery"

i rarely take it out... its my only battery and i only charge it in the mod.
(i just bought new batts thanks to the awesome guides in here and a nitecore charger)
Last time i took it out last week it was pristine, now how ever it does worry me a bit

Ud4T9n6.jpg

the cap looks like this:
M2ZeTcs.jpg

after i took it out i tried to clean the battery.... the smudge wont come off, from either.

i've never really noticed issues with the battery before, not even getting warms. My RBA coils are .4ohms at 55 whats almost always, but i did short out the base a lot while learning to build it (would get a lot of alerts from the mod, to not abuse protects) but i dont know.

I have put it back in the mod and it seems fine but i dont know. Opinions? I know that battery is bad, i am getting better ones but they are on their way here.

Thanks in advance!

Mike McVape

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Welcome to the forum. Using a battery you believe is bad, well I wouldn't... I'd pick one up locally while waiting for the bats on order to come in the mail. (Actually I will likely never be in that predicament, believe in having backups of anything and everything and started that way from the git go vaping.)

Max Molina

Aug 16, 2017
Welcome to the forum. Using a battery you believe is bad, well I wouldn't... I'd pick one up locally while waiting for the bats on order to come in the mail. (Actually I will likely never be in that predicament, believe in having backups of anything and everything and started that way from the git go vaping.)
this brand where the only batteries my vape shop had at that moment, :/ by bad i meant bad brand quality, but 2 months of medium use shouldnt break this battery. Unless i shorted it too much? I did drop the mod yesterday but it was ever so slightly higher than 30 cm of height. and it has never gone above 15 amps...

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
its not a smudge... its an arc spot. This is seen quite often in mech mods running very low ohm builds. The contact point is small and all that current is forced to travel thru that tiny little point thus causing an arc which pits the metal of the cap and battery...

altho I am concerned as to why the wrapper on the battery is missing... o_O

Max Molina

Aug 16, 2017
What kind of battery is that? Dont look like any I'm familiar with.
It is the MXJO "35" amp rated one. I know it is bad muju so i bought it out of no other choices. I just want someone to tell me if they believe this is battery leaked/gave up to throw it away. I dont want to since it is my only battery for now and i have no access to other bats.

Max Molina

Aug 16, 2017
its not a smudge... its an arc spot. This is seen quite often in mech mods running very low ohm builds. The contact point is small and all that current is forced to travel thru that tiny little point thus causing an arc which pits the metal of the cap and battery...

altho I am concerned as to why the wrapper on the battery is missing... o_O

Wait... this had no wrapper? -_- isnt that unsafe? i thought this thing come with the wrapper on it? they guy at the vapeshop said it was good to go.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Buying batteries in a vape shop is taking a big risk that its a clone or fake. Even if the shop says its genuine, they are maybe taking the word of their supplier or knowingly buying cheap batts. Getting only a couple months is a signal that you bought clone, off make, 2nds or fake. They should get 250-300+ charges off a battery before it starts becoming tired. There are reputable battery vendors so research them out in this forum. I see also no wrapper and thats mighty dangerous to use and the pit on the bottom just adds to the danger. Battery wraps are cheap and simple to put on so having some in hand will save the battery from arcing then venting inside the hitter.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Wait... this had no wrapper? -_- isnt that unsafe? i thought this thing come with the wrapper on it? they guy at the vapeshop said it was good to go.

the whole battery should be covered in a plastic wrap, only the top and bottom should be exposed...

Max Molina

Aug 16, 2017
Not really, it was just my first stop at buying a mod and getting set up. I've been to several other shops by now but i am buying online. I never went back to that vapeshop but the mod and bat came from there. Are you sure this MXJO battery doesnt have the plastic wrap around it off the box? it does look like thatg to me. I can buy the wraps they are cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread