Is Nicotine % Calculated Before Adding Flavorings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoMajesty

Jan 15, 2017
Hi,

DIY question. When a company says its ejuice has an 18mg nicotine level, and the percentage is 1.8%, does that mean that nicotine is 1.8% of the PG/VG/Nic mix (without the flavor) rather than 1.8% of the whole batch?

For example: I have a 30ml bottle with an 18mg nic mix of PG and VG that takes up 22.5ml (75%). The flavorings total 25% of the total 30ml. Is my juice still 18mg, or is it closer to 14?

I'm just beginning DIY with unflavored premixed juice. And yes, I'm aiming high with the flavoring volume. Most commercial vape juice flavors are too subtle for my tastes.

Working on perfecting a mad scientist formula called Hot Creamy Fruit Orgy, powered by FlavourArt. Once it's perfected, I'll have my trusty assistant, Igor, post the recipe somewhere.

Thanks,

Me

Last edited:

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi,

Nicotine is measured in milligrams per millilitre. Pure nicotine is 1000mg/ml.

In your 30ml bottle, EACH ml contains 18mg of nicotine. So your bottle contains: 30 X 18 = 540mg of nicotine.

Your example: If you started with 30ml of 18mg/ml and then ADD flavouring at 25% (7.5ml), your end result would be 37.5ml of 14.4mg/ml strength juice. (Note: STILL 540mg of nicotine in the bottle)

Which eliquid calculator are you using?

Cheers
I

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Anyway, I figured out how to raise it. I need to start with 1.75ml of 100mg juice, and then add the other pg/pv/nic mix until the total becomes 22.5ml. After adding the flavor to fill the 30ml bottle, the total strength should be about 18mg/ml. It'll just be a few days before I get the 100mg stuff. I can deal with a weak batch until then.

Estimation is unnecessary.

Use a mixing calculator.
DIY E-liquid
eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator

Cheers
I

YoMajesty

Jan 15, 2017
Estimation is unnecessary.

Use a mixing calculator.
DIY E-liquid
eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator

Cheers
I

Thanks. Someone else recommended that calculator too. Not suitable for this project. When starting from scratch, it could come in handy. This is a complex mistake fix. Just ordered 36mg unflavored because it's USPS legal for shipping. That'll raise the nic levels a notch. Luckily, my degree's in math. I'm just rusty and haven't studied math since 1999. Still have some wits for basic chemistry systems of linear equations with a few ums and ahs and oh .... I done screwed ups during the calculation process.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
...I beg to differ.
EJMU is absolutely suitable for this project.
Capte.JPG

Cheers
I

YoMajesty

Jan 15, 2017
Nicotine River seems to be the only company with this requirement so far.
I first got that message in ecigexpress.com's shopping cart. I researched it, and another company stated this regulation in its shipping FAQ's. It even said that many flavors are banned. Google it and see what you find. I searched for "100mg nicotine ups ground only".

Reactions: puffon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread