istick 50 watt exploded

Status
Not open for further replies.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
I just called a friend who is a new vapor. She's been charging her isticks on her computer, oy! I told her not to do that when I first gave them to her.
Actually, charging devices on your computer is probably much safer than doing it with a wall-wart. The computer has circuitry to detect excessive current (and disable the charging). The wall-wart doesn't. I charge mine all the time on various computers. (But I don't own an istick50, and don't intend to!)

Niloy63

Apr 29, 2015
Atlanta
View attachment 453684

Glad you and your girl are ok. That coulda been real bad......
The 50's have been known to autofire like mine here did. I pulled the atty off before it got too hot. It never stopped tryin to fire. iSmoka has a 90 day warranty on em.

I have an stick 50W as well and had it autofire a few times. It worked amazingly without a glitch for about 2 1/2 months. For me, it only has occurred immediately after taking a hit, and not randomly on it's own.

Reactions: Bikenstein

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Actually, charging devices on your computer is probably much safer than doing it with a wall-wart. The computer has circuitry to detect excessive current (and disable the charging). The wall-wart doesn't. I charge mine all the time on various computers. (But I don't own an istick50, and don't intend to!)

If that's true, why have there been so many ego fires from charging on computers? A year ago, everyone here said it wasn't safe to do that.

Reactions: Katya

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

I'm more worried about frying my computer than I'm about frying a cheap wall wart. That was my main point. As for safety, I don't know.

Woman Claims E-Cigarette Exploded, Shot 4-Foot Flames Across Living Room - Breitbart

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com

Bikenstein

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
The Lab
This seems like a logical answer to the problem and readily explains my own experience. It is also from a reputable source. If this is the case..... Quit Shakin Your Sticks to see if the buttons RATTLE! :laugh:

[–]FartsMcPoopIPV 3 & Mutation v2 4 points5 points6 points 19 days ago (6 children)

I have a friend who has gone through two iStick 50s with this same issue. He's in the process of sending the second one back now.

He got an email today from the site he bought it from (rocky mountain vapor) saying that the issue is caused by the boards not being properly secured and coming loose, not from juice getting in there, and that the new batch they are getting in has had this issue fixed.

IDK how much truth there is to this but that is what they said.

[–]bigbrentos 2 points3 points4 points 19 days ago* (2 children)

Interesting to hear. Do they have the new batch in now? I'm looking to order an istick 50W and a subtank mini as a straight upgrade to my current Nautilus mini + istick 20W setup.

Also, how is Rocky Mountain Vapor as a vendor and do they have any ongoing discount codes?

EDIT: I got a reply from contacting them on their site:

Hello,

We got in a new batch on Monday and have been told this batch is from the fixed batch. I haven't had them long enough to confirm this myself. It will take a couple weeks for me to get an idea if they truly fixed the issue.

With that said the ones with problems is still a low number and less than 10% of them. If you do order put in the comment section that you want a new batch one. We have them in all colors.

CardinalWinds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2009
Vermont, USA
Next question, same order eleaf Istick 50W kit, does it come with the wall charger or will it come with charger that plugs into my computer? Ordered from vaperoyalty.

I bought the two 50's I have from VapeRoyalty. They came with the charging cable but not the wall adapter. Both of mine work fine, btw.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
My wife inherited my 20, has anyone heard of any issues with them?

Only that it won't step down, so at lower settings, it seems to "run hot". Think that's the only one I've heard of. I just ordered another 30w; found an ever better price on them, at Mt Baker. :thumb:

Andria

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
Only that it won't step down, so at lower settings, it seems to "run hot". Think that's the only one I've heard of. I just ordered another 30w; found an ever better price on them, at Mt Baker. :thumb:

Andria
That and the 510 threading is soft so some have had stripping problems. If you use a 510 to Ego/510 adapter it will prolong the thread life.

Also the 20w 510 connector has a fixed center pin that causes some connectivity problems. The 30w and 50w have a spring loaded center pin.

Oh, and the 30w and 50w have stainless steel threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread