Itchy Skin, Rashes: PG Allergy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cielo

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Florida
Yes this is common allergy symptom to PG i think. I get a bad itchy rash and hives. I'm not JUST allergic to pg in e-juice but I also get this same reaction from certain asthma inhalers, shampoo, liquid soaps, and lotions with pg in it. I once had such a bad reaction to one of my inhalers that i had to be put on prednisone for a week. Im very careful to buy juice that is a reduced pg formula and I seem to be fine. One in a while I do use a prefilled pg cart and just taking a benedryl before bed takes care of the itchiness/hives.

pooper@ Do the flavorings you ordered have colour? My sister is highly allergic to anything with red food colouring. She couldnt even drink coolaid when we were kids :(

I think that vendors should make all ingredients (ie:coloring, etc) to the public.

Last edited:

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
You are so right about listing ingredients. The lack of real knowledge about the liquid we vaporize to inhale is inexcusable. And some here think regulatory agencies should just let things slide as they are now? Not a chance. Not even the RIGHT thing to do.

Like you, I sometimes have to pop a Benedryl in order to get some relief and sleep.

Where is the listing of side effects required for ingestion of drugs that produce effects like those we're noting here? Our practice screams for regulation, since manufacturers have so long ignored common sense practices like a child-proofing, tamper-proofing, toxic warnings, ingredient listing, possible side effects, warnings to pregnant women, cautions about pet dangers, etc, etc, etc.

They let us down until fear forced a few to spend pennies for child-proofing vials, but it has been far too little, far too late.

BigJimW

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 17, 2009
Warwick, RI
www.moonport.org
As a side note, I haven't vaped today (using the snus) and the itching is subsiding somewhat.

Bob, most of the domestic suppliers who manufacturer liquids don't hide what they use. However I am beginning to think that what may be something that won't harm you by ingesting it, inhaling it is a totally different ballgame. I agree that testing needs to be done and an examination of long term effects need to be hammered out. But I don't think the FDA would be the ones that could do that. Too many special interests they have to keep them from providing an honest picture, like any other government agency with alterior motives in what they do.

Bestecigs do list the ingredients on their website though

TOBACCO ESSENCIAL FLAVOR,VIRGINIA <5%
TOBACCO ABSOLUTE,VIRGINIA <5%
TOBACCO ABSOLUTE,BURLEY <5%
ORIENT TOBACCO ABSOLUTE,TURKY <5%
NICOTINE (FROM TOBACCO LEAF) <1.2%
2,3,5- TRIMETHYLPYRAZINE <1%
2,3- DIMETHYLPYRAZINE <1%
2,5- DIMETHYLPYRAZINE <1%
2-ETHYLPYRAZINE <1%
2-ACETYLPYRAZINE <1%
4-(2,6,6- TRIMETHYLCYCLOHEX-2-BUTENE-4-ONE) <5%
4-(2,6,6- TRIMETHYLCYCLOHEX-3-BUTENE-4-ONE) <2%
LINAL0OL <2%
MENTHOL <2%
METHYL BUTYRIC ACID (2-) <2%
ROSE OIL,BULGARIAN,TRUE OTTO <2%
VANILLA EXTRACT <5%
OCTALACTONE(GAMMA-) <1%
UNDECALACTONE(GAMMA-) <1%
PURE WATER <30%
PROPYLENE GLYCOL <40%GLYCEROL <10%

Last edited:

pooper

Dec 13, 2009
austria
well. i'm still itching. and i'm covered in tiny red bumps.
i stopped vaping for a few days but didn't see any change. maybe i'm off base with this.

no. the flavours don't have any colour to them. just clear. but also no listing of what's in them.
and i vape vg.
maybe i am using some pg somewhere that i haven't checked yet. in the carts...hmmm???

i'm gonna take everything apart. do a good cleaning of all the carts and attys and start from scratch.

and...i guess i'm off to the doctor this week to have a closer look. maybe i have bed bugs and just don't wanna go there...8-o

i do like the idea of cutting out lactose as well as other histimine foods and drinks. i have tried to cut down this week but didn't give it as close a look as i could have. giving up red wine is like giving up my two front teeth, but for a week or so more, i guess i could manage.

it just makes me crazy though. vaping and new flavours is the only thing i have changed. i don't eat anything new. no new soaps. no new cleaners. same dog. same...well...same everything.:confused:

sigh!

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
well. i'm still itching. and i'm covered in tiny red bumps.
i stopped vaping for a few days but didn't see any change. maybe i'm off base with this.

no. the flavours don't have any colour to them. just clear. but also no listing of what's in them.
and i vape vg.
maybe i am using some pg somewhere that i haven't checked yet. in the carts...hmmm???

i'm gonna take everything apart. do a good cleaning of all the carts and attys and start from scratch.

and...i guess i'm off to the doctor this week to have a closer look. maybe i have bed bugs and just don't wanna go there...8-o

i do like the idea of cutting out lactose as well as other histimine foods and drinks. i have tried to cut down this week but didn't give it as close a look as i could have. giving up red wine is like giving up my two front teeth, but for a week or so more, i guess i could manage.

it just makes me crazy though. vaping and new flavours is the only thing i have changed. i don't eat anything new. no new soaps. no new cleaners. same dog. same...well...same everything.:confused:

sigh!

WOW! I sure hope you can figure this out. And, sorry if it sounds icky, but you really can't rule out bed bugs!!! There is some sort of epidemic of them, but I am not sure if it is where you are.
Really, good luck!!!!!!

I've been allergic to PG all my life - discovered the allergy as a child. It's a topical allergy that causes itcy red bumps, kind of like poison ivy. I've always had to read labels, especially on skin care products that go on my face. Once I used an apricot facial scrub and my face was so swollen I had to take steroids.

But I've never had problems (that I've noticed) with PG in food products so I didn't pay much attention when I started vaping. After the first few days, my face broke out like a teenager and I had SERIOUS bleeding gums. I switched to VG and it made a big difference. I still have some facial breakouts, but I'm pretty sure it's due to the PG in the flavors. I'm gradually going DIY with flavorings that are completely PG free.

It takes time for the PG to work it's way out of your system and for your system to stop "reacting". One quick way to tell if it's the PG is to dab some on the sensitive skin inside of your elbow. If you break out in a rash - you're allergic. Put cortisone cream or benedryl cream on it to clear it up afterward.

420GypsyGirl

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2010
Near a beach in a desert.
Well I have recently developed a rash and also aching knuckle joints in the fingers. They only thing I have done different vaping wise was switch to vaping Halo liquids. Ugh!!!!!!! I hope that there is not something in their liquid that is causing this. I stopped vaping it yesterday to see if the rash and knuckle aching goes away. I had been vaping Halo going on a month now and three days ago I broke out. Halo is all I have really vaped the last couple of weeks. ::sigh::

I may just stop ompletely for a week and see if it clears up that way. God I hope I can go a week without vaping. 8-o

Does anyone think I may have developed a allergy to PG or whatever is in their liquid?

pooper

Dec 13, 2009
austria
wahooo!

no bed bugs! no other disgusting little critters!:p just a plain ole allergy!

took my flavours in to my allergist. did some playing around with them. got a pricking of a minuscule amount of several into my skin on my arm.

am allergic to flavourart flavours...
guess why....go ahead...guess.

yup

made with PG.

:mad:

i had used WAAAAYYY too strong a dilution upon first getting them. almost not even diluted as a matter of fact.

so...a bit o'cream from the doc all over, a better antihistamine, no more flavourart flavours (or at least VERY diluted) and less vaping overall and the bumps are disappearing.

one case solved...

:thumb:

next question:

who makes flavours without PG? does this even exist?

BigJimW

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 17, 2009
Warwick, RI
www.moonport.org
Well lately I cut my vaping down and the itching/rash subsided. Started up a few days ago and guess what, I'm scratching my arms and legs into bloody pulps

I found this website today that is all about allergies to PG Glycol Allergy Some may find this website helpful.

I really hope I don't want to stop vaping, but if there isn't a solution to this problem, then I may have to. I'm not too keen on vaping pure VG for a long period of time, as there really is no long term study on vaping a liquid that is more for skin care than an inhalant. At least PG had been studied extensivally and we know the effects. I'll keep experamenting a bit to see what I can find.

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
Regarding PG: I think there is an excellent chance that there will be some even in 100& VG juices. That is because I found a flavour site that sells flavours that are so concentrated you add them in permilles, parts per thousand. And these consist of ~75% PG.
And I do not assume that the flavours that are used in liquid are always more concentrated than that.

Of course, it's still a very small amount of PG we are talking about.

aschmidy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2009
Wisconsin-deep in the woods
I have found most suppliers to be very good if I email them and ask about their vg juices. A lot of them are just vg base with pg in their flavorings. I have found they will tell you, if you ask. There are a few out there that have no pg in them at all. Ecopure and Johnson Creek's new vg line have no pg.
There are lots of products, especially laundry products that do not have to list what is in them and if you ask them, they will not tell you without a letter from your doctor. They say it is a 'trade secret'.

BigJimW

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 17, 2009
Warwick, RI
www.moonport.org
Well, I stopped vaping a couple of days ago using snus as a primary intake and I noticed that while my legs still itch a bit, it is not nearly as bad as they were. Last night, it was like Holy Hell, did they itch, but today they seem to not itch at all. I think my system is flushing out the months of PG buildup from vaping and last night was the brunt of it.

I also noticed that during my problem, my legs, thighs, and lower part of my abdomen was red with red blotches that looked like bruising. The redness is clearing up, it's not as bad as it has been.

So I conclude that it was vaping that caused this reaction. I'm going to stay off a few more days and see if it goes away entirely. I'd really hate to give up vaping because of this type of reaction, but I may have to if it returns when I start vaping again.

BigJimW

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 17, 2009
Warwick, RI
www.moonport.org
Any problem with using VG Jim? Or maybe PEG?

No difference. I tried everything. I am beginning to think some of the flavorings are causing it, coupled with the months of inhaling PG. I've not given up though.

I'd hate to have to part with my liquids though. I have like 800 ml of bottles of PG/VG based liquids that cost me a pretty penny to gather.

I'll find the solution to the problem. Its just a minor setback.

Sense Field

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2010
Nomad
I've been vaping for a month now and I did notice that I've been getting little bumps on my scalp.

Nothing that is too big of a deal...I have gotten them before but not this many at a time. I'm thinking I have a low level allergy to the PG but I am hoping that it's something I will get over as my body gets use to taking it in every day.

Has anyone overcome their allergy to PG, be it extreme or other wise?

I know that a few friends of mine are allergic to cats but after spending a lot of time with cats they overcame that allergy.

aschmidy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2009
Wisconsin-deep in the woods
I found that once I realized I was reacting to using PG juice and switched to VG, I was still itching and breaking out and had dry red flaky patches and sore teeth and peeling nails until I got rid of ALL the PG. The lotion I was putting on had PG in it and was making it worse. The bubblebath I was soaking in. My shampoo, conditioner, makeup, shaving lotion, handsoap, hand sanitizer, toothpaste the list was endless! But none of the problems went away or improved until I eliminated ALL of the PG. Not just the PG juice. It seems to build in my system and I was overloaded.

enigmad

Verified Member
Jan 29, 2010
Olive Branch, MS
I've been having these same symptoms for a few months, almost all winter. Sometimes scratching so intense I eventually will have cuts from it. Most of it has been on my legs but sometimes will go to my elbows as well. Although this has all started before vaping, I have only been doing it for like 2 weeks or so. I think I might try looking at my body wash and such and try to start cutting out some PG but I really hope it's just something having to do with the weather.

MarkB

Moved On
Jan 12, 2010
California
This will be my first post to this forum. I have been following since I started vaping and doing research about it months ago. I was so impressed with the idea that I formed an LLC and have been importing sample products to begin a small business.

I am sorry to report that after approximately 3 months of vaping I am having the same exact symptoms that several others that have posted in this thread.

1.) Itchy all over my body. Especially in the creases of my arms and backs of my legs
2.) aching in the joints of my wrists and fingers (i thought I was developing carpal tunnel, and to be fair that could be the case. I will have it checked by a doctor soon.)
3.) Itchy scalp
4.) severe rash / hives over most of my body

Fortunately I had already quit smoking when I picked up vaping. I wanted a reason to go back behind the office and hang out with my friends on smoke breaks. That is where a lot of my social interaction came from. My ejuice had no nicotine in it so hopefully there will be no withdrawal symptoms of any sort.

For now I will be glad that it only cost me a couple thousand bucks in filings, artwork and sample products from China. I'll be grateful for the lessons I learned about starting a small business but this will be my exit from the e-cig scene. I am due for a doctors check up any way so I will post back to this thread if I get any information of value.

Not trying to scare anyone but I think this thread should be reason for pause. I do so hope that the e-cig becomes a reality for the millions out there who have smoked for years (like I did). But this has just highlighted the fact that nobody truly knows what the ramifications of these devices are.

I am lucky in that I was able to quit on my own after 15 years of smoking. My best wishes are with all of you and I wish the same to anyone who wants that for themselves as well.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread