Skin rash - Need help identifying root

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeterboy40

Dec 18, 2017
Hey everyone,

So currently I've been having dry, itchy, and red skin on my face. It's causing acne to break out and drying my face out incredibly. I know it's from vaping, however I can't find the root of the problem.

I started off with a Juno and thought maybe the rash was occurring due to the high amount of nicotine so I got rid of that and the rash went away. Recently I've started vaping Air Factory: strawberry kiwi juice at only 3mg and the PG/VG ratio is 30/70. The rash is back. I can't tell what's causing the rash because it's coming from nic salts and lower e liquid. If anyone has any ideas please let me know, thanks!

lil_buddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2017
Do you think it could be a PG allergy even with only 30% ratio in there? I am not knowledgeable at all on the subject as you can probably tell. Is there PG in a Juno pod?
It can be anything since a person can be allergic to almost anything. The only way to tell is with testing - either by a doctor or the process of elimination

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes you are going to have to break this down very thoroughly and by process of elimination. That may mean purchasing AT LEAST some ingredients for DIY.

If it were me (knowing PG MIGHT be the culprit) I would vape unflavored VG and thin with 10% DW. You could start out with 0 nicotine if that's possible. If you think that would drive you to smoking, then as low nic as you can handle. You will need to do that for a bit (until the rash goes away). If that's okay, I would up the nic some. If you are still doing fine, then you know it is neither VG nor nic.

If all that is well, then try adding some PG (I am PG sensitive and anything other than MINUTE quantities gives me sx. So try 10 or 15% PG added in. If that's fine, then up your PG to where you would LIKE it to be. Still all unflavored. If all is well, it could be flavorings.... In which case I might suggest trying some DIY flavorings for a while, to see what flavors work for you and what don't.

If this sounds complicated and difficult, well, it kinda is but people who do elimination diets for sensitivities usually start out eating white rice only, then slowly adding things in... The same principles are at work here.

BUT MAINLY, I'd visit your doctor first and discuss the matter with him/her. It's possible that your insurance co might pay for specialty allergy testing which would also give you answers (bear in mind that specialty allergy testing can be expensive) but in your situation it might be indicated. If your doctor is supportive of vaping, he might be able to help make that referral happen.

Best of luck, I was able to isolate my sensitivity fairly easily, but that isn't always the case. I hope you get it sorted out.

Anna

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Do you think it could be a PG allergy even with only 30% ratio in there? I am not knowledgeable at all on the subject as you can probably tell. Is there PG in a Juno pod?

I don't know what the constitutents of the Juno pod liquid is. Otherwise I'll say it definitely could be PG based on my personal experience. Obviously not everyone seems to react negetively to PG. In my case I began with high PG and shortly there after developed significant dry skin / rash issues. I can recall pealing great amounts of dry skin out of the inner parts of my outer ears. I also had dry flakey skin on my forhead and aside my nose. As I moved away from high PG and towards high VG the skin issues subsided in proportion to the amound of PG.

I currently vape 95% VG and 5% nicotine and use no flavoring. I've moved away from flavoring for another issue...post nasal drainage. No flavoring has been a great help with that.

So I now vape a very dull mix at least as far as taste. Throat hit is good though I think some flavorkngs contribute in part to TH. I still get mild occurances of dry skin, but nothing like before. I had some recently, but hey...winter weather is upon us.

Do I think 30% PG could cause skin issues? Yes I do if one has a sensitivity to PG that manefests itself as dry skin or a rash. It seems that many people do not have such a reaction. You may not have a PG sensitivity...could be something else...probably in the vapor, but PG is certainly something to consider.

By the way, I had the allergy tests after taking up vaping and they indicated no allergies.

I wish you good fortune in getting it figured out. Let us know what you find.

PS If your problem is not severe, don't go running to the doctor until you've ruled PG out as a possible cause.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread