It's official. E cigs to be registered as a medicine in the UK.

Discussion in 'Legislation News' started by rothenbj, Jun 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. rothenbj

rothenbj Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
  2. e-pipeman

e-pipeman Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Brown Edge, England
    "Deborah Arnott, chief executive of ASH, said: "MHRA regulation can ensure that adult smokers can continue to be able to buy e-cigarettes as easily as tobacco, but promotion to children or non-smokers will be prohibited."

If that's all that is involved I'd support the move. If however we have to by our stuff exclusively from pharmacies at 2mg or lower strength then I would be violently opposed to this.

3. Petrodus

Petrodus Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2010
    Midwest
    Quote from the article

4. rothenbj

rothenbj Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    E-cigarettes to be regulated - MHRA - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

A second article. The problem is the approval process and ultimately who will be capable of passing the "stringent testing". Ultimately, the costs will increase dramatically, I suspect.

Of course their research is based on pharma standards used for drugs as opposed to the standards used on cigarettes.

5. tddman66

tddman66 Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 4, 2013
    Illinois
    Fight fire with fire.... Put the push on to do the same with tobacco....

6. CES

CES optimistic cynic Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 25, 2010
    Birmingham, Al
    this is not a step in the right direction.....

7. jtpjc

jtpjc Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 8, 2010
    Netherlands
    In 2016 a lot will have changed. The arguments they use today will no longer be valid by then. I hope.

8. Oliver

Oliver ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

This is a terrible decision, although I'm not surprised it's happened. I think we're about to witness a long drawn-out court battle.

I will write further on this shortly, once I've collected my thoughts - but it has serious implications elsewhere. We already know that the MHRA will be pushing for the EU to follow suit, and once this has happened I think we can say goodbye to the current e-cigarette industry in Europe.

What remains on the market in 3 year's time is anyone's guess - but I don't believe it will be the products that vapers want and need.

9. e-pipeman

e-pipeman Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Brown Edge, England
    Yes. It will be interesting to see if manufacturers will be able to get licences for anything more powerful than a feeble cigalike using 2mg liquid.

10. jSquared

jSquared Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    London, UK
    Thanks for getting back to us, Smokey.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank you for all the hard work you've done for us so far. I'm so sorry it has come to this.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts.

JJ

11. Timboo

Timboo Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 1, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Well that sucks :-\ least we got enough time to stock up.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

12. icehunter

icehunter Full Member

Sep 2, 2012
    uk
    ok so immediate impact is nouthing
    hardware will aways be available just like buying a lighter or pipe
    now diy should not change if you buy from a licence chemical suppliers

what will it hit the company making elite and the other disposable cig yes big time

will it stop the mum and pop resell web sites no it may increase price but how many sites do we know were they make there own hardware ? very few there mostly reseller

so the question is what's the real impact my take is it will stop unasfe supplier of liquids that we just dont know whats in it .a label may say 54g or
    pg but the truth is you just dont know how its been made cut or anything so onthat side it can be good news

13. Markh5682

Markh5682 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Chorley, Lancs, UK
    It could have been a lot worse.

14. jerzi

jerzi Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 18, 2013
    Florida, USA
    They didn't ban ecigs, and are allowing them to still be unregulated for a 3 year period, until they can figure out a way to have regulations on them which won't create a major impact on the ecig community is far from terrible.

15. Switched

Switched ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 18, 2010
    Dartmouth, NS Canada
    so true, so true :(

16. AttyPops

AttyPops Yeah, I type stuff. ECF Veteran

The "challenge" I have with this "regulation mentality"...is that it backfires.

Example:
    Let's say, for example, that in the USA we decide to make e-cigs and NRT's prescription-only. Thus, only available to tobacco users trying to quit/switch.

What would happen? I guess, if you want nicotine, you'd have to start smoking so you could then turn around and get a prescription???? lol.
    What happens with cigs? Are they prescription only? No. But e-cigs are. :facepalm:

I know, it's been said before. CES even has it in her signature line. Which are they trying to ban and why?

What about NRT's in the UK? Prescription only?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

17. Switched

Feb 18, 2010
    Dartmouth, NS Canada
    A man condemned to the death penalty and gets a stay of execution, is still condemned to die at some point unless he receives a pardon. The industry has received a stay of execution, nothing else... so yes it is terrible unless the decision is overturned. May not affect us initially but it has the potential to!

18. Switched

Feb 18, 2010
    Dartmouth, NS Canada
    Why would you want nicotine is the ?

19. jSquared

jSquared Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    London, UK
    Exactly how? An outright ban with immediate effect was never really on the cards - not in the UK. A lot of us have seen this coming for a very long time, and, believe me, it doesn't get much worse than this. It may well be just the first nail in the coffin, but the lid's already on.

JJ

20. jerzi

jerzi Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 18, 2013
    Florida, USA
    Ecigs weren't condemned to death., Ecigs have already got the pardon, they just need to fight for the terms of release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.