Jobs medical insurance says ecigs a tobacco product

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nunnster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Myself, I would find out if patches and other nic delivery systems are included and if not tell them your using one of those because they would show the same thing if tested.

I think I read somewhere that if you test positive for nic, it doesn't matter how you got it because they will assume that you got it from tobacco. It might be different for different insurance, but I do not know.

patxxoo

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2011
Ocala, FL
lol in a sad way that's funny... when my company sponsered a quit program I got the patches through them free because I had the insurance if you didn't have the insurance you couldn't participate ... unfortunatly something in the patches ( i guess the glue) I was allergic to ... at this moment I have like 4 boxes of patches sitting on my shelf ... also after reading the popup saying you could lose your job if you lied I couldn't go there

Creniker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2011
Salt Lake
Nicotine is harmful .. no matter how it's inhaled .. whenever these type threads pop up, which is fairly frequently .. we all rush to defend .. it's an indefensable position .. while I feel the OP's pain, an insurance company sets rates based on predictions .. and a nicotine user is a greater risk than a non-user .. if you did not use the nic, and the company decided to raise rates across the board based on the percentage of nic users, I feel certain the non-users would be quite vocal on that ..

Not trying to be rude, this is a serious question. Isn't it true that nicotine can have anticancer benefits when used in low doses? Something about blood pressure, and as a stress reliever for sure.

patxxoo

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2011
Ocala, FL
Because depending on what you call them, different things will happen. Basically overall its good that they are classified as a tobacco product because it keeps the FDA away. If you called them a nicotine delivery system or nicotine replacement, the FDA would call it a "drug" and would regulate it if it got approved after their testing. Then BP would get into the picture and charge you an arm and a leg to get eliquid much like nic gum or patches. Or they could make it so its only by Rx and you would have to go see a doctor to get it. So all in all, even tho it sucks on the insurance side, its a good thing that they are "tobacco" products.

Hummm from what i'm reading here if it relates to nicotine alot of people are not gonna be happy about a study released Nov. 2 2011 NIH study examines nicotine as a gateway drug - NIDA Newsroom the idea of keeping the fda out of it is kind of going out the window .... this one is new on me gateway drug huh? Seems pretty much anything these days can be a gateway to drugs....especially if the gov. ain't getting thier piece of the pie.

Hide the eggplants paw them federalies are a comin. :facepalm:

DarthSnoopyFish

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2011
Burlingame, CA
Not trying to be rude, this is a serious question. Isn't it true that nicotine can have anticancer benefits when used in low doses? Something about blood pressure, and as a stress reliever for sure.

I don't think nicotine has any anticancer benefits. Nicotine does promote the growth of new veins though, so if you had cancer and were using nicotine products, they could very well help the cancer spread faster throughout your system.

Creniker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2011
Salt Lake
I don't think nicotine has any anticancer benefits. Nicotine does promote the growth of new veins though, so if you had cancer and were using nicotine products, they could very well help the cancer spread faster throughout your system.

Do you have any scientific proof for that statement, or is that just your expert opinion?

Nunnster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Do you have any scientific proof for that statement, or is that just your expert opinion?

I have also read that IF you HAVE cancer that nic can promote new growth of the cancer, HOWEVER, if you do not, then nic "can" be "good" for you. Its a stimulant, it helps you focus (that is why the uproar in MLB happened, because they stated that nicotine was a performance enhancer) and it may help with some mental disorders. There are many links on ECF in the health and medical section, as well as in the news and other sections that provide links to back up what he stated

kabonk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2010
NW Detroit Burbs
nicotine does constricts blood vessels but vaping is nowhere near as bad as smoking I don't know that you get enough nic from vaping to make this a problem because I know blood presure was normal that last time it was checked, my company worded it as nicotine use I still checked I'm a non smoker because I do not smoke I quit last year and I'm quite proud of that fact and if they deside to make me pee in a cup I'll just switch to 0 nic for 72 hours they're out of state anyway

Last edited:

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
I have to say, nicotine is nicotine. I vape at 24mg. However, my house does not smell like cigarettes. Neither does my clothes, hair, breath, etc.

I still do an analog or 2 a day (perhaps I'm addicted to something other than the nicotine in the analogs - YIKES!).

I've only been vaping a little over a month.

Sort of off topic, but I vaped for about 2 months before I quit smoking. Before I started vaping, I had smoked 3 packs a day. I didn't rush to switch, but once I was convinced that vaping was a viable alternative, I did work at it a bit. When I got down to "a few cigs a day", it would be 5 on a good day, 10 average, 15 at most. Mostly I would get cravings after eating, and it would take 2-3 cigs to get rid of the craving. Vaping didn't seem to make those cravings go away.

I, like you, was using 24mg juice. I thought that was a pretty high level, and I really didn't want to move to a higher nic juice. (Plus, my favorite juice is Boba's Bounty, and like many places, 24 is the highest level they make.)

Eventually, based on advice from here on ECF, I ordered some juice in a 30mg level, small bottles, a couple of different flavors. I'd eat, I'd get a craving, and I'd use the 30mg juice via dripping. I continued to use the 24 as my all day vape, but I'd plan to drip into an atomizer with the 30mg juice after meals.

The day I started using the 30mg, I stopped smoking. I didn't even plan to, it just happened. I still had a half of a pack open, and 6 packs from the last carton I bought. But once I started dripping the 30mg, it was just easy to quit. No pain, big gain. :)

After the first week or so, I didn't use the 30mg a lot. I still have it, and on occasion I'll feel a craving and use it, but mostly I just needed it to get off the cigs, and the 24mg works fine for me most of the time.

Your story sounded similar to mine. You started vaping, you cut way down, but you're still needing a few cigs a day. You might try the system I used, get a some higher nic juice, and just use it to deal with cravings. Worked for me. I figure if I never use all the 30mg juice, I'll get some juice in a lower level and mix it. Equal amounts of 30 and 18 mixed give you 24mg juice. For now, I'm keeping it around for the occasional craving.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread