Juice leaking from change in altitude while traveling

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, yesterday I packed up all my vape gear and drove from SLC to Denver, crossing through Vail pass on the way, a climb of about 6000-7000 feet in elevation.

At a rest stop somewhere past that, I pulled out my MVP 2 with a protank 2 to find that almost all of the juice had leaked out, covering the mod and its surroundings. I was at a loss as to how this happened, a feeling that was only aggravated when I pulled out my bag of 15-20 bottles of juice to find they had leaked as well, leaving everything soaked!!!!

I probably lost a good 10-15ml in all, and it was a pain in the ... to clean up. After some though on the matter, I'm thinking the change in altitude affected the air pressure in the bottles, breaking the seal and forcing juice out. Has anyone else experienced something like this before?

Last edited:

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Yea the problem with keeping all my juices together is that I couldn't really tell which ones leaked more then the others, so I'm not sure which ones I need to watch out for. So your saying like the half-empty or so are the worst?

In a sealed bottle, 1/2 empty is more prone to leak. Liquids don't change volume like gases ( air ) do with varying atmospheric pressure changes. A full bottle is far less likely to leak because there is very little air in it to expand and contract. The same is NOT true with a clearo. A clearo has an open passage to it, so any changes in pressure inside will force any fill level of liquid through that passage and all over everything it's packed with( unless you can guarantee the opening is facing up). I don't know how my carry on will wind up in the overhead compartment, so I just default to empty status on the clearos and avoid any unpleasant surprises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread