Kanger Aerotank Mega

Status
Not open for further replies.
Admittedly, this is my first "good" tank. I've only jumped on the vape train 2 weeks ago (I'm a noob) so I missed the whole plastic EVOD era, and when I got my starter kit, I was able to start with the EVOD 2, which is glass. In hindsight, that tank is actually pretty good. Small size, comes with nice drip tips, it's glass, the airflow is good and if it's too much, it's not much work to plug 1 of the 3 holes with your index finger while trying to take a drag.

So the Aerotank Mega. The clearo that's supposed to take the Nautilus' throne. I went to my local B&M with the intention of buying an Aspire Nautilus because of the positive reviews it gets around here, but the shop keep persuaded me to get the Mega instead because it's about the same price, it's newer, and above all, it uses the same coils as my EVOD 2.

What can I say about this tank when I really have nothing to compare it to since it's my first "serious" tank? I guess I could only go by my own use and opinion so here it goes.

Positives:

+ Solid construction. The feel and weight of it screams of great quality. I haven't held a Nautilus but I've held and used an authentic Kayfun Lite and I can compare the construction and materials quality to it.

+ Pyrex glass. But anything in this price range SHOULD be pyrex glass. The nice deal about the Mega is that it comes with a metal tank in the package also so you can switch it up if you're going into a warzone or you're just clumsy and drop your stuff a lot.

+ Very easy to take apart and clean. Even for a super noob like me. None of the parts are glued or stuck together so it's also easy to replace parts if needed.

+ Adjustable Airflow, but more on this later.

+ Same coils as the newer Kanger tanks. It can use the 1.5 ohm that the EVOD 2 uses but it comes with two 2 ohm coils in the package. Coils are cheaper (and some say it's better) than the Nautilus.

Negatives

- I wasn't a big fan of the drip tip that came with it. It was just a plain jane stainless steel one to match the body but the shape was just straight. I like the contoured ones like the vase type so my lips have something to grab onto when I take a drag. Oh well, easy part to get over and replace and it shouldn't be a deal breaker for anyone.

7dd44484-f87d-4e74-8bdc-e10645e3a6d9_zpsa512f8fa.jpg

- The Adjustable Airflow. Please refer to the picture above, it's the spinner at the bottom with the hole on it. Here we go. My biggest gripe of this otherwise great tank. It's not loose but it's not tight, if you get what I mean. There is resistance when you spin it around and it's well dampened like a nice camera lens but it does not click. So if you're not physically looking at the hole or the little step meter that's laser etched on the body, you wouldn't know where you are for airflow. There are no hard stops on either side of it so you can actually spin it all the way around the body. When this happens and you try to take a drag, you're in for an unpleasant experience. When I vape and drive, I can't be taking my eyes off the road and spinning that thing around because I accidentally nudge this spinner often whenever I pick it up to vape. I like the airflow right where you see it on the picture, with the hole just peeking through, this makes it so it's like you're sucking a straw and drinking milkshake, exactly how a cigarette would feel. If there were hard stops or clicking, this would make this "sweet spot" a lot easier to find in critical times like when I'm driving, when it's dark, when I'm being chased by bad guys or dogs, etc.

- Another big gripe for me is wasted space. There is a LOT of it. Let me explain but also let me get it out of the way that this tank's capacity is advertised at 3.8ml, which is fine with me and it lasts me exactly a day. But for heavier users, the wasted space will really piss you off. If you refer back to the picture above, that tank is actually FULL. I'm not kidding you. Here's what happens when I tilt it upside down, exactly what you would do to fill the tank:

IMG_20140619_094035_zps08e74d9c.jpg

Sure I can squeeze in a drop or so of e-juice in there but a drop isn't going to fill in all that extra space when you tilt it up again. I don't know why Kanger did this.

All in all, I'd recommend this. The flavour and vape quality is "good" but again, I only have an EVOD 2 to compare it to and it's actually comparable because if I had to do a blind taste, I'm sure it'll taste the same provided that I use the same juice and airflow in those two tanks. I'm sure this is due to both of them using the same coils so it uses the same wicks. I still recommend this because the build quality is great, it comes with two tanks (Pyrex and Stainless), and it doesn't look shabby on bigger mods (my EVIC isn't the biggest/thickest, but it looks good on there). The bigger the mod you have, the better this tank will look. Just remember to buy a better drip tip if this is going to be your only tank.

IMG_20140619_094059_zps35ab2efd.jpg

(My EVIC with the Aerotank Mega and the EVOD 2 drip tip)

Hope you've enjoyed reading!

Great review. I've been using one for a couple of weeks now. I absolutely love it. I agree with everything you mentioned regarding the pros and cons. I've been using it on my MVP 2.0. It works really well on that device, but it looks a little big.

I have a Nautilus as well, and have to admit that are very similar in regards to quality, flavor, and vape. I'd rank them pretty much even really. The capacity and filling is slightly better on the Nautilus, but the Mega has a slight edge for flavor quality (at least for me anyway).

The stainless steel tank add-in is what really sold me, and the overall shape of it. I wasn't a huge fan of the "bell shape" of the Nautilus, but the quality more than makes up for that minor cosmetic irritation.

Overall, I agree the Mega is a pretty sweet tank! Also, it looks pretty good on your evic.

Moonbogg

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2014
Whittier, CA, USA
You can get a lot more juice in there by filling the tank up past that metal plate with the 4 holes in it. Fill it all the way up to the top of the tube and you will get a much better fill. There is still an empty gap, but its not nearly as big as the one you showed in your pic, OP. I love my Mega, but filling it all the way would really be the real deal and icing on the cake.
I contemplated drilling a hole in the top and adding a sealed steel plug, but I think i'll pass on that idea and wait to see if they improve it.

rc3po

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2014
Texas
Great review. I've been using one for a couple of weeks now. I absolutely love it. I agree with everything you mentioned regarding the pros and cons. I've been using it on my MVP 2.0. It works really well on that device, but it looks a little big.

I have a Nautilus as well, and have to admit that are very similar in regards to quality, flavor, and vape. I'd rank them pretty much even really. The capacity and filling is slightly better on the Nautilus, but the Mega has a slight edge for flavor quality (at least for me anyway).

The stainless steel tank add-in is what really sold me, and the overall shape of it. I wasn't a huge fan of the "bell shape" of the Nautilus, but the quality more than makes up for that minor cosmetic irritation.

Overall, I agree the Mega is a pretty sweet tank! Also, it looks pretty good on your evic.

So have you been getting good replacement heads? That's why I hate those type tanks because the replacement heads I bought were just junk!! It wasn't a Kanger though.

rbrylawski

Sir Rod - MOL
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Tampa, FL
You can get a lot more juice in there by filling the tank up past that metal plate with the 4 holes in it. Fill it all the way up to the top of the tube and you will get a much better fill. There is still an empty gap, but its not nearly as big as the one you showed in your pic, OP. I love my Mega, but filling it all the way would really be the real deal and icing on the cake.
I contemplated drilling a hole in the top and adding a sealed steel plug, but I think i'll pass on that idea and wait to see if they improve it.

Thank you for the tip on filling past the 4 holes! I love my Mega. It's hands down the best tank I've had yet. And boy have I gone through tanks. Three weeks ago I bought a Nautilus Aspire and I found it a major disappointment. I went through coils almost daily and still had a burnt taste. That has all gone away with the Mega, but the empty space in the tank seems odd when there's a lot more space for juice. I just filled mine past the 4 holes and the tank looks full and is working just fine!

K24A3

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2010
Aus
I bought an aerotank and not too pleased about it.

Problems:
- lack of vapor, even after an hour of vaping. Push the button, nothing...nothing..bit of vapor, more vapor
- plastic taste (need to soak it in hot water for a few days, like most other carto's)
- coil is hidden way down the central tube, how does one scrape of the carbon build up?
- noisy gurgling popping sound when vaping (but no flooding, just noisy)

Tried moving the air hole around, not as noisy now but still hardly any vapor.
... no dry or buring taste, just very little vapor. Strange..

Supposed I could try another coil if I could be bothered.
Back to the Vivi Nova for now, gives 5x more vapor.

(100% PG, no flavor, joytech evic 3.9v- 4.6v, 2ohm coil)

Last edited:

00gt1

VapeMeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
I bought a clone of this tank from FT just to try it out (Mega Clone), and to my surprise, it was indistinguishable from the real deal that I checked out at my local B&M. I even went back and held them side by side. The owner was amazed. On the clone too, the ring is a little tighter which makes it more difficult to lose your sweet spot when you find it. I 100% love this tank, even more so than my kayfun. +1 on the filling to the post.

lucky_x16

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2012
Glasford, Il
I bought an aerotank and not too pleased about it.

Problems:
- lack of vapor, even after an hour of vaping. Push the button, nothing...nothing..bit of vapor, more vapor
- plastic taste (need to soak it in hot water for a few days, like most other carto's)
- coil is hidden way down the central tube, how does one scrape of the carbon build up?
- noisy gurgling popping sound when vaping (but no flooding, just noisy)

Tried moving the air hole around, not as noisy now but still hardly any vapor.
... no dry or buring taste, just very little vapor. Strange..

Supposed I could try another coil if I could be bothered.
Back to the Vivi Nova for now, gives 5x more vapor.

(100% PG, no flavor, joytech evic 3.9v- 4.6v, 2ohm coil)

Had the same problem, Its the air hole trust me.
Had my local B&M do a rough drill on the air hole, not only to open it up, but by not running the drill through to clean up the burrs on the inside, the breather ring does not want to move. No vice necessary either.

Delarob

ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2013
Delaware
Got my mega maybe a week ago. I like that I got the rounded tip, not the dripper style tip. I prefer 1.5 coils, but the 2.0 is ok too. Solid and best part is the price. Vape Happy has/had them for $19.99. You can still use the xmas14 code with FT and get it for $15 and change.

I also have the mini and while I was ok with it, it just doesn't hold enough juice. Then I broke the glass and had been using the metal shield. If they had put a view window in their tanks, I would be cool. But I don't like guessing.

All in all, I like them.

lucky_x16

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2012
Glasford, Il
Got my mega maybe a week ago. I like that I got the rounded tip, not the dripper style tip. I prefer 1.5 coils, but the 2.0 is ok too. Solid and best part is the price. Vape Happy has/had them for $19.99. You can still use the xmas14 code with FT and get it for $15 and change.

I also have the mini and while I was ok with it, it just doesn't hold enough juice. Then I broke the glass and had been using the metal shield. If they had put a view window in their tanks, I would be cool. But I don't like guessing.

All in all, I like them.

Kangertech.com has replacement glass.
Have you tried the Qtip method of filling?

StarreLabelle

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2014
Texas, Near Randolph Air Force Base
I love my Aerotanks; I noticed they have a V3 air controller out now, what type does the Mega have? I own the mini, and the V2. I save ejuice vaping the mini, even though I fill it much more. The enclosed dual coils are great; I like the 1.5 with 2 long holes. The coils with 4 small holes don't work as well.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 via Tapatalk

lucky_x16

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2012
Glasford, Il
i have 3 megas and love em...fill past the holes to the top of the center opening to fit the max amount of juice and hits are smooth and taste is amazing using my provari 2.5....check my avatar out to the left ....there they are:vapor:

You do not use the Qtip method and fill to bottom of threads?
It is not a waste of a Qtip, as I use the other end to clean out the device before rebuilding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread