Kanger Subtank Mini RBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mden89

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2015
Wahwik, Rhode Island
Hello again ECF community! I appreciate all the help and information thus far, but i have some more questions for y'all. I have watched a few videos of the new Kanger Subtank Mini RBA and see that most people are using a single coil setup for this RBA. I notice most people are also using 26ga kanther and are doing 5 wraps.

I have NEVER built before so all of this stuff is a bit strange to me. How do you know what the resistance will be of the coil when making it? Whats the benefit of using one or two coils?

Once you know the resistance of the coil, how will you know how much "juice" (watts/volts) that coil can handle? Is that all depending on the setup/airflow? I know this goes back to a question on another thread i have about subohm tanks... but I just want to make sure i dont fry these coils extra fast.

I have other questions about dripping, but i think i will make a separate thread for it as i think its a totally different discussion.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
Hi Mden. Check this link for a coil wrapping steam engine, it will help you decide how many wraps for the gauge of kanthal you are using to reach the desired goal. Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

As far as the "juice" (watts) just start low and work your way up to find the sweet spot. Good luck.

Mden89

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2015
Wahwik, Rhode Island
Hi Mden. Check this link for a coil wrapping steam engine, it will help you decide how many wraps for the gauge of kanthal you are using to reach the desired goal. Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

As far as the "juice" (watts) just start low and work your way up to find the sweet spot. Good luck.

Thank you Sir! As far as the duo vs. single, whats the difference and can the kanger mini setup take two?

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
The Kanger Mini is not manufactured to run two coils... but... I wouldn't be surprised if someone has already tried it. Usually a dual coil atomizer has 3 posts to mount the coils. Two outer positive and the common center ground. The rebuild deck of the Mini only has 2 posts. I wouldn't recommend rushing into dual coils. It's better to walk (trying one coil) before you run. Spend some time with the Mini and get to know how everything works, you might be completely satisfied with it and not desire a dual coil set up. I haven't grown into dripping or dual coils because the Mini satisfies me. I don't care "what everyone else is doing", I vape for myself. If you're desiring to go straight to dripping thats an entirely different tank (of which I have little experience except to know it's not for me, I'm a fill it and go type of guy).

Mden89

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2015
Wahwik, Rhode Island
The Kanger Mini is not manufactured to run two coils... but... I wouldn't be surprised if someone has already tried it. Usually a dual coil atomizer has 3 posts to mount the coils. Two outer positive and the common center ground. The rebuild deck of the Mini only has 2 posts. I wouldn't recommend rushing into dual coils. It's better to walk (trying one coil) before you run. Spend some time with the Mini and get to know how everything works, you might be completely satisfied with it and not desire a dual coil set up. I haven't grown into dripping or dual coils because the Mini satisfies me. I don't care "what everyone else is doing", I vape for myself. If you're desiring to go straight to dripping thats an entirely different tank (of which I have little experience except to know it's not for me, I'm a fill it and go type of guy).

I appreciate your honesty, thanks Sir. I definitely will learn to crawl before i can walk or run. I simply like to be educated so when i am ready to get my knees off the floor and sprint... I can go full speed ahead :D ! However, i do thank you for your concern and genuine interest in my well being. :thumb:

UncleMike

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2015
Nova Scotia
A parallel coil also works very nicely in the subtank mini using the RBA deck to build on. It's almost like having dual coils but instead of the coils being separate you wrap with 2 wires laying side by side to make the parallel coil. You have much greater surface area with this type of coil which then produces great flavor and lots more vapor. It's my favorite coil I use on my STM now. Just thought I'd mention it in case you've never seen or tried one. I'd suggest though that you learn to make a typical single spaced or contact coil when first learning and once you're comfortable with that you can then move up to the more advanced coil types.

Bman123

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2014
Akron Ohio
I wouldn't try to run a parallel coil in a subtank mini. Parallel coils get hot and need alot of airflow. I have used a subtank mini and the airflow on the older ones was bad. I know the newer style has a air hole on each side but is it enough?

Parallel coils get hot and need airflow. I use them sometimes dual parallel coil in my troll, but that rda is wide open airflow and can handle it.

Like suggested above start with a single and see how it works. No need to get all fancy right away

UncleMike

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2015
Nova Scotia
I wouldn't try to run a parallel coil in a subtank mini. Parallel coils get hot and need alot of airflow. I have used a subtank mini and the airflow on the older ones was bad. I know the newer style has a air hole on each side but is it enough?

Parallel coils get hot and need airflow. I use them sometimes dual parallel coil in my troll, but that rda is wide open airflow and can handle it.

Like suggested above start with a single and see how it works. No need to get all fancy right away
I've been running a single parallel coil in my subtank mini for months now and works fine. Doesn't get too hot at all @ .67ohms and mine is one of the older ones with only the single side airhole. Not really what I'd call a fancy coil, just another option that works great once you've learned how to build single spaced or contact coils ;)

Reactions: Cool_Breeze

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Myself, I've found with the ST Mini with both the OCC heads and the RTA deck, that the key is getting the VG/PG ration right. I know some people are able to run with high VG juices. I like to use quite high wattages and take long hit and I have found that a 50/50 blend with a couple of drops of water works best.
I've seen videos of people building dual coils for both the OCC heads and the RTA deck. Though I think this is overkill.

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
Don't get caught up in the sub-ohm hype, 1.0Ω+ coils are often the better choice when it comes to RTA's (or any atty for that matter, though that will be highly contested). It is definitely true for the STm.

I use 28g 6 wrap spaced 2.5mm ID coil in both of mine, which come out to about 1.2Ω, and at 23 watts the vape is better than any sub-ohm coil I've built. Using higher ohm coils you cover more surface area of the wick, and you can use higher gauge wire that responds faster in both heating and cooling.

Reactions: Cool_Breeze

Mden89

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2015
Wahwik, Rhode Island
Don't get caught up in the sub-ohm hype, 1.0Ω+ coils are often the better choice when it comes to RTA's (or any atty for that matter, though that will be highly contested). It is definitely true for the STm.

I use 28g 6 wrap spaced 2.5mm ID coil in both of mine, which come out to about 1.2Ω, and at 23 watts the vape is better than any sub-ohm coil I've built. Using higher ohm coils you cover more surface area of the wick, and you can use higher gauge wire that responds faster in both heating and cooling.

Can you help me understand the benefits of using certain gauge kanthal wire? Why go thicker and why go thinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread