Kanger TopTank Leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

comartini

Feb 21, 2016
Hey! So I just got a new Kanger TopTank Mini, love it so far for vaping BUT every time I unscrew the top cap and fill it with liquid, it leaks a lot out of the air holes. I've seen some people have this problem with the Subtank Mini, which is basically the same thing, but everyone seems to only have this issue when they're using the prebuilt coils. I am using the RBA, so the coil hacks for the prebuilt coils won't help me here. Has this happened to anyone else? Any advice on how to fix this?

Reactions: FringeChief68

Clydde26

Jan 20, 2016
Hopkinsville
ensure you have enough wick it could be that your making it a little too thin....also ensure that you dont have any run away tails of the wick going down the airflow hole under the coil. Close the Air flow off completely when filling....no holes open at all...and then screw on quickly and tightly once you have completed your filling process. I have Found that if you are saturating your coil to "prime" it prior to filling your tank....do a pre burn to eliminate some excess liquid so that when you add your juice to the tank your over saturating the wick and causing the excess to run out the air flow. Hope this helps ya.

Reactions: mia347

Clydde26

Jan 20, 2016
Hopkinsville
20160221_205936~2.jpg

Notice how the coil opening is centered on the screws. This is a 2.5mm ID that seems to be the sweet spot.
20160221_210202~2.jpg

Plenty of cotton running through the coil enough for gradual resistance but not enough that your cotton is pulling apart as your pulling it through the coil.
20160221_210254~2.jpg

Tails go up through the coil housing like bunny ears and then the housing is slid over them and secured.
20160221_210327~2.jpg

I then pull them to the side and trim leaving approximately an 1/8 inch tail left on each side.
20160221_210444~2.jpg

Using a small flat head or equivalent i gently poke the tails down on each side no stuffing them tightly but ensuring that it touches the bottom of the build deck. I also inspect and make sure that none of the cotton is wildly poking down the air hole under the coil. this will cause leaking.
20160221_210502~2.jpg

As you turn the housing on its side you should be able to see just enough poof of cotton poking out of the juice channel holes. This means you have enough cotton in your device.
20160221_210655~2.jpg

The only way you can shut the air off on the top tank mini is in between the small hole and medium hole...there is no true "all the way off" setting so you will just have to play with it.
20160221_210816~2.jpg

Ensure you leave your slight air bubble at the top for proper juice flow then close the top and open your afc back up. You should have no issues with leaking if these steps are followed. Leave the tank on its side for a prolonged period of time and you may have flooding and gurgling issues but still should not have leaking...i tend to go to sleep with my Mod and Subtank mini....I place it on its side right before i go to sleep and havent had a leak yet in over 3 months.

comartini

Feb 21, 2016
View attachment 533404
Also ensure that both your insulator ring and the O-ring are on the bottom of your RBA. If not this very well could be the cause of your leaking.

Clydde26 - thank you so much!!!! I think that fixed it. I don't think I was putting in enough cotton. But now the leak has stopped!

michaelgravesa1

Mar 21, 2016
A lot of the leaking issues tend to be user error... Coil not screwed in tight enough... Over priming prior to filling... Not closing afc prior to filling... If your impatient you will have leaks I have not had any leaks in my sub tank minis and I own both a bottom fill and a top fill
Plzz help everytime i refill toptank mini it floods the coil i do the instructions right i dont understand you have one how do u stop this from happening when u refill

drysprocket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Los Angeles
Plzz help everytime i refill toptank mini it floods the coil i do the instructions right i dont understand you have one how do u stop this from happening when u refill

Hmm, have you tried closing the airflow before you refill? I know you can't quite close it completely, but you can get it so nearly all is closed. That might help. Also, you could try refilling it slower, and maybe even at an angle. That's helped me on other thanks that had that problem.

And are you using the new coils?

Clydde26

Jan 20, 2016
Hopkinsville
Standard coils or the rba? Most times if a flooding is occurring you are priming too much or not vaping the tank empty before a refill... If your coil is still saturated and you refill the tank...the vacuum caused by putting the lid back on will force more juice into the coil flooding it.... A quick fix of this happens is use a qtip and slide it down the mouthpiece all the way to the coil...give it a twist and back it out and it will soak up majority of your excess juice eliminating the flooding for that current tank your on...then prior to your next refill ensure the coil isn't overly saturated...once the tank is empty vape it until close to a dry hit...then refill.

drysprocket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Los Angeles
But also why would this happen only on refill i have .5 ohm coils yea im using istick 30w. So my setup is kanger toptank mini .5 ohm coil istick 30w . geting flood after refill only by time i get it working straight im bout to overdoes on nic... Becuase its geting all in my mouth lol

Weird. Did it happen with the first coil that came installed? (the newer SSOCC larger one with a 3rd hole)

Aside from the coil, I'm not sure if an istick 30 would be the problem. I think I've used my toptank on one. What wattage are you using with the .5? I'm finding that because of the smaller size, it gives a much warmer vape. So where I use around 30W on a .5 coil with my big boy Subtank Plus....on this I'll back it down to like 25W for roughly the same experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread