Status
Not open for further replies.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
No that's the thing with the velocity it's meant for dual coils. I mean, it's doable but not meant for it. Guess I'll just say screw it for TC with the rda. The IPV3 li can read down to .05 with the TC setting so I think I will try a 5 wrap and see what that gets me. Thx for the tips.

Velocity, ok, gotcha. Awesome dripper I hear.

You could do 5 slightly spaced wraps. 6 would be better for more surface area (17% more). That's one of the reasons I use Ti, greater surface area. 24g Ti, 2.78mm id, 6 wrap, .2 ohms. 24g has quite a bit more surface area than 28. Also tc accuracy increases with res. That's a real problem with Ni, even though it has a high tcr which is good for tc accuracy, it has low res which is not.

There are many better choices for tc coming our way soon. Nife70, Nife52 and various stainless steel wires for tc mods with adjustable tcr.

Reactions: ashtrayogdc

ashtrayogdc

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2013
Saskatchewan
Velocity, ok, gotcha. Awesome dripper I hear.

You could do 5 slightly spaced wraps. 6 would be better for more surface area (17% more). That's one of the reasons I use Ti, greater surface area. 24g Ti, 2.78mm id, 6 wrap, .2 ohms. 24g has quite a bit more surface area than 28. Also tc accuracy increases with res. That's a real problem with Ni, even though it has a high tcr which is good for tc accuracy, it has low res which is not.

There are many better choices for tc coming our way soon. Nife70, Nife52 and various stainless steel wires for tc mods with adjustable tcr.
Lol awe man don't say that! This is the first dual batt mod I've bought and I don't plan on buying another one anytime soon :p

I regret going with the nickel now though. I see everyone is prefering the titanium. It was just so convenient because I was already making a lightning vapes order. I'll have to learn to live with the nickel for a while I got a freaking 100' spool *L*

I did not know that tc accuracy increases with res, good tip to know. I am going to have to try and get a higher resistance. Should have went with 32 I guess. But then I read the nightmares of how hard it is to build with those higher gauges. Damned if you do eh?

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Yeah, the industry is changing sooo fast now with the intro of tc. With the newer adj tcr mods, some offering very low tcr settings, you can vape just about any wire you want except kanthal where the tcr is too low. Heck, with some tc mods I could just cut off a length of mig welding wire and vape away...lol

Don't feel bad bro, lots of us are stuck with piles of wire we won't ever use again...sad

Reactions: ashtrayogdc

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
I left these messages in the "Titanium thread", but since my builds are used in the Subtank Mini RBA, I thought I would ask for help, advise, tips in this, the Subtank thread. Apologies to those that follow both.

Links are just to the original posts, there were a couple of followups there as well.

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...ping-and-safety.664753/page-139#post-16578946

Did a spaced 6 wrap 26g on 3mm rod (don't have 24g yet) KGD in Subtank Mini. Ohms out perfectly at .30. It's annealed by me. Ti from Unaken. All connections are tight. Lots of vapor on IPV D2, at 25j @ 475 degrees. BUT MUTED FLAVOR.

Same juice, in another Subtank with stock prebuilt .5 ohm Kanthal coil, LOTS OF FLAVOR.

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...ping-and-safety.664753/page-139#post-16581028

I matched the settings Cigatron suggested and it was only slightly better, but hotter, and I prefer a cooler vape. I just don't get it, since the Titanium does not impart any flavor of its own, then one must suspect the cotton, and how much or little is used, but if that's not the case, then the design of the Subtank itself may come into question. But not everyone uses a STM. I keep reading about the great flavor folks are getting with the Titanium & STM, but I'm doing a direct comparison with identical tanks and juice, the only two differences are the Titanium/Kanthal coils and power mode versus TC mode. Sure is a MYSTERY to me. I want to love Ti, as I'm sold on its better potential health qualities over alloys. I guess my next test will be a nickel build, but I don't like its metal composition, though I'm not allergic.

I don't have or think Kanger has a pre-made titanium coil to compare to, but I did get good flavor with a Joytech Delta 2 titanium pre-built coil in the Eciggity/EHPro Morph tank I have, just adds to my confusion!

I'm not giving up yet, as I believe Ti may be a healthier choice of materials. But the distinct lack of flavor compared to my Kanthal builds as well as pre-built coils is a mystery I have yet to solve. I have two co-workers with better taste buds then me, and had them try both and they agreed. I'm going to try different amounts of KGD cotton wicking as I experiment more.

Sorry for the long post, appreciate any feedback!

Reactions: David Wolf

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I left these messages in the "Titanium thread", but since my builds are used in the Subtank Mini RBA, I thought I would ask for help, advise, tips in this, the Subtank thread. Apologies to those that follow both.

Links are just to the original posts, there were a couple of followups there as well.

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...ping-and-safety.664753/page-139#post-16578946

Did a spaced 6 wrap 26g on 3mm rod (don't have 24g yet) KGD in Subtank Mini. Ohms out perfectly at .30. It's annealed by me. Ti from Unaken. All connections are tight. Lots of vapor on IPV D2, at 25j @ 475 degrees. BUT MUTED FLAVOR.

Same juice, in another Subtank with stock prebuilt .5 ohm Kanthal coil, LOTS OF FLAVOR.

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...ping-and-safety.664753/page-139#post-16581028

I matched the settings Cigatron suggested and it was only slightly better, but hotter, and I prefer a cooler vape. I just don't get it, since the Titanium does not impart any flavor of its own, then one must suspect the cotton, and how much or little is used, but if that's not the case, then the design of the Subtank itself may come into question. But not everyone uses a STM. I keep reading about the great flavor folks are getting with the Titanium & STM, but I'm doing a direct comparison with identical tanks and juice, the only two differences are the Titanium/Kanthal coils and power mode versus TC mode. Sure is a MYSTERY to me. I want to love Ti, as I'm sold on its better potential health qualities over alloys. I guess my next test will be a nickel build, but I don't like its metal composition, though I'm not allergic.

I don't have or think Kanger has a pre-made titanium coil to compare to, but I did get good flavor with a Joytech Delta 2 titanium pre-built coil in the Eciggity/EHPro Morph tank I have, just adds to my confusion!

I'm not giving up yet, as I believe Ti may be a healthier choice of materials. But the distinct lack of flavor compared to my Kanthal builds as well as pre-built coils is a mystery I have yet to solve. I have two co-workers with better taste buds then me, and had them try both and they agreed. I'm going to try different amounts of KGD cotton wicking as I experiment more.

That's a great comparison test, thanks for sharing it! Interested to hear more as you experiment :)

skyboxer1968

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2015
Illinois

It sounds like a wicking issue to me. What I do to check that is to occlude the air slots while blowing a
Bit into the mouthpiece. That puts a little positive pressure into the tank which in turn drives juice into the wick. If a get a few great hits that dwindle into weakness again I know my wick isn't keeping up.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
It sounds like a wicking issue to me. What I do to check that is to occlude the air slots while blowing a
Bit into the mouthpiece. That puts a little positive pressure into the tank which in turn drives juice into the wick. If a get a few great hits that dwindle into weakness again I know my wick isn't keeping up.

Wicking seems fine, keeps up, it's the lack of flavor I'm debugging.

misibacsi

Aug 23, 2015
Hello!

I have 2 question.

I have a subtank nano, and i love the size and the diameters what has, but for me the lung inhale just not good.
So i want to use it MTL, and i looking for some good tutorial about how can i make a smoother airflow rightly direct under the coil. I've try lot of things, but the roblem was i get a short circuit. I cutted down the pipe from kanger regular (older coil) this:
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10014415/2705400-authentic-kangertech-vocc-coil-head-5-pack

and putted there a shrinkable. But there was shortcircuit.

And i think there is another option is if i put there an RBA head, but regularly its just wont fit into the nano, so maybe somebody else already thinked about put an rba head to nano, so im looking for some results about that. How big changes i should to do for that. If i can put there an RBA i can easly smooth down the airflow under the coil with a tfe teflon pipe.

My english is so bad, so sorry for this, and hope you understood my question

Best Regards

Reactions: David Wolf

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Hello!

I have 2 question.

I have a subtank nano, and i love the size and the diameter it has, but for me the lung inhale is just not good.
So i want to use it MTL, and i'm looking for some good tutorial about how can i make a smoother airflow rightly direct under the coil. I've tried a lot of things, but the problem was i got a short circuit. I cut down the pipe from kanger regular (older coil) this:
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10014415/2705400-authentic-kangertech-vocc-coil-head-5-pack

and putted there a shrinkable. But there was shortcircuit.

And i think there is another option is if i put there an RBA head, but regularly its just wont fit into the nano, so maybe somebody else already thought about putting an rba head to nano, so im looking for some results about that. How big changes i should to do for that. If i can put there an RBA i can easily smooth down the airflow under the coil with a tfe teflon pipe.

My english is so bad, so sorry for this, and hope you understood my question

Best Regards
Do you mean it leaked when you said short circuit?
Those coils won't work (but you found that out already).
I don't know about the nano. I had the mini. RDA works in mini but I lung hit, not MtL.
Just bumping the thread to the top of the list so someone else might have your answer.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I matched the settings Cigatron suggested and it was only slightly better, but hotter, and I prefer a cooler vape...I'm not giving up yet, as I believe Ti may be a healthier choice of materials. But the distinct lack of flavor compared to my Kanthal builds as well as pre-built coils is a mystery I have yet to solve.

Hi Mac. Glad to see the experiment continues. Prove all things, I always say.

To my thinking spacing always divides and attenuates heat transfer given the same geometry (coil space). One can increase wire dia. to compensate but must apply more power. The result is a higher ratio of heat diffusion with increases of wire dia. given the higher ratio of wire surface to contact area. This accounts for the increase in perceived warmth along with the additional power supplied.

Hundreds of tests in my early research on tensioned contact coils led me to the conclusions I've posted on ECF as to Kanthal tensioned micro's efficiency. I continue with a small subset of subjects who are not ECF members or hang with other vapers to gauge impartial opinions on all types of winds for comparison. Side by side impressions vs. factory coils, the very types of winds we emulate, reaffirms the opinions many of you have long relayed to me.

A properly crafted insulated (oxidized) contact coil serves as an excellent index of good vapor production and flavor. Once achieved it's a powerful tool and hard to do without.

Good luck Mac.

:)

Pocha

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
What is the size of the o-ring, which is under the RBA head (the one which is situated between the base and the head)?

Thank you.

Edit after two days:

... Nobody.... really ????

I have no idea but you can get replacement o-ring sets on Fast Tech for really cheap.

seebo

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2013
CT,USA
does anyone prefer the OCC coils and/or rebuilding them compared to the RBA?
really torn between the mini and nano.. want the nano due to smaller size, but also want the RBA which does not come with the nano, nor fits from what i gather. i don't know why kanger couldn't have made a slightly smaller RBA for the nano..

Reactions: redrebel821

ashtrayogdc

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2013
Saskatchewan
really torn between the mini and nano.. want the nano due to smaller size, but also want the RBA which does not come with the nano, nor fits from what i gather. i don't know why kanger couldn't have made a slightly smaller RBA for the nano..
Get the mini. Definitely want the RBA.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I have the Nano - I do not know how to rebuild yet so that RBA does not matter right now. What I do is get the older horizontal coils and I am able to rewick them and they last longer. I will tell you that I have found that I am constantly refilling the nano tank - had I realized this beforehand I probably would have went with the mini instead of the nano.

redrebel821

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2015
Houston area
I have the Nano - I do not know how to rebuild yet so that RBA does not matter right now. What I do is get the older horizontal coils and I am able to rewick them and they last longer. I will tell you that I have found that I am constantly refilling the nano tank - had I realized this beforehand I probably would have went with the mini instead of the nano.
I'm getting ready to pick up some more of the old horizontals that no one else likes...and then some more of the precoils. I'm stocking up...lol

Reactions: chellie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread