Status
Not open for further replies.

ashtrayogdc

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2013
Saskatchewan
Tried subtank mini for the first time today. Skipped the premades and got right into RBA. Best tank I have ever used, honestly.

My tanks: Evod 1 > evod 2 > evod glass > aerotank mega > subtank mini

I've actually never tried a tank not from kangertech.

Vapez
I'm a big fan as well. They are well built and a good price point :)

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Tried subtank mini for the first time today. Skipped the premades and got right into RBA. Best tank I have ever used, honestly.

Vapez

Yup. The most versatile tank out there. Congratulations and enjoy! :)

Vapez

Ultra Member
Aug 22, 2015
Norway
Whilst I enjoy my STM I find with the RBA I have to somewhat nurse it and the wick burns out pretty quick. Maybe just the juice I'm currently using. Still never leaks, great flavour and vapour with medium juice consumption. My preferred tank whilst down the bar. If they bring out a top fill version I'll be happy.

My wick doesn't burn out really quick. Went through 4 tanks on the same wick, no issues. Performs just as before. And yes NO LEAKS. At all. This tank can be so many things. With the lowest afc setting it's like an evod. I switch between middle and highest afc setting for my coil, at 13w 1.7ohms.

Fasttech has host body with top fill available ;)

Vapez

Reactions: aldenf

vincom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Philippines
Yeah I'm getting a good load of tanks in as I'm a pretty heavy vaper. The RBA can't compare to the OCC coils for convenience and longevity. I like to mix n match and it's great heaving a choice.
I'll check out that top fill you mentioned
rba v1 dermelled out weep holes w/rayon wick with 3mm 0.7 ohm coil between 30-35watts 20-30ml/day diy juice lasts ~2weeks

Nailz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jun 6, 2013
    Wichita, KS
    oh and the STM is still my preferred topper, got a crown sitting in the vape draw not being used, and also the TFV4 doing the same, keep trying new tanks, but still stick with the STM's, and just got 2 new black ones in this week, they are just so easy to work with, I only use the RBA deck and progressed to using clapton coils in them, love the flavor even more with a clapton coil :)

Leo Bak

ECF Veteran
    Dec 10, 2015
    Netherlands
    Whilst I enjoy my STM I find with the RBA I have to somewhat nurse it and the wick burns out pretty quick. Maybe just the juice I'm currently using. Still never leaks, great flavour and vapour with medium juice consumption. My preferred tank whilst down the bar. If they bring out a top fill version I'll be happy.
    You could perhaps get a cloned 'host body' and put an authentic base and rba+ on it, or a cloned Fasttech tank set. I recently got the 'host body' (weird name really) and it works very well. Links didn't work so here's the SKU: 3856900

Last edited:

Mactavish

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 19, 2010
    New York
    I own two of these top fill STM clone bodies. The original glass fits fine as well as a real STM base. I have since retired the one I used for some time and left the other one in the box. Main reason is you have to use a needle with blunt tip to get juice into one of the two TINY holes on top. Another thing to carry along with your juice bottle. The next reason was if I vaped the tank past the STM's, juice flow ports, which are a bit higher on the RBA-2, I would often get the rest of the juice dumping out the air flow slots. I know the pressure change can make this happen on the original STM bottom fill models, but it happened many more times with the clone top fill version, perhaps due to those two holes on the top that the two little o-rings barely make a seal with the screw on top cap.

For me, I realized that when I get that low on juice, most likely I'm ready to change flavors and a quick rinse and cleaning means taking the tank off the mod anyways. It's really not a big deal to me to bottom fill, then again when Kanger makes a top fill in a 22mm tank, I'll give it a try, they are selling a 18mm version now called "toptank" I believe, in their Nano line. Just my experience and opinions, for a few bucks, try these for yourself, didn't cost me much to make up my mind on shelving them.

Reactions: PaulBHC

Leo Bak

ECF Veteran
    Dec 10, 2015
    Netherlands
    I own two of these top fill STM clone bodies. The original glass fits fine as well as a real STM base. I have since retired the one I used for some time and left the other one in the box. Main reason is you have to use a needle with blunt tip to get juice into one of the two TINY holes on top. Another thing to carry along with your juice bottle. The next reason was if I vaped the tank past the STM's, juice flow ports, which are a bit higher on the RBA-2, I would often get the rest of the juice dumping out the air flow slots. I know the pressure change can make this happen on the original STM bottom fill models, but it happened many more times with the clone top fill version, perhaps due to those two holes on the top that the two little o-rings barely make a seal with the screw on top cap.

For me, I realized that when I get that low on juice, most likely I'm ready to change flavors and a quick rinse and cleaning means taking the tank off the mod anyways. It's really not a big deal to me to bottom fill, then again when Kanger makes a top fill in a 22mm tank, I'll give it a try, they are selling a 18mm version now called "toptank" I believe, in their Nano line. Just my experience and opinions, for a few bucks, try these for yourself, didn't cost me much to make up my mind on shelving them.
    I admit that high VG juice is hard to pump through these tiny holes, it's pretty much useless to buy these clones in that case. If you use high PG juices however, top-filling might not wear out your mod's 510 connection as much as unscrewing it so often when using the authentic tank.

vincom

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 19, 2014
    Philippines
    I admit that high VG juice is hard to pump through these tiny holes, it's pretty much useless to buy these clones in that case. If you use high PG juices however, top-filling might not wear out your mod's 510 connection as much as unscrewing it so often when using the authentic tank.
    just widen those tiny wick holes for the v1 rba, i can easily do 80% vg now at between 28 to 35 watts w/a 0.7 ohm coil, but for winter im at ~60%, no flooding for me using rayon.
    i also removed the airflow ring

Mactavish

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 19, 2010
    New York
    just widen those tiny wick holes for the v1 rba, i can easily do 80% vg now at between 28 to 35 watts w/a 0.7 ohm coil, but for winter im at ~60%, no flooding for me using rayon.
    i also removed the airflow ring

I think Leo was responding to my post about the TINY fill holes on top of the cloned Subtank mini tanks. With a needle I can pump high VG into the tank, you just have to carry the needle. And while it's true that a top fill tank can save some thread wear, this assumes you want to keep vaping the same juice or you don't mind the juice blend if simply dumping a different flavor on top of the last one. I think good mod SS threads shout hold up past the usefulness of the device itself, or the tank threads too. I think Kanger is going to come out with their TOPCAP replacement design in a new 22mm top fill tank soon, they already sell it in the 18mm nano tank. And Subtank Mini prices are dropping online!

Reactions: Leo Bak

BigEgo

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2013
    Alabama

Vapez

If you are a mouth to lunger or like moderate lung hits, then I don't think it's possible to beat the STM. All of these expensive designer tanks out there and none of them are as good (all around) imo. Kayfuns are good, but the STM has better flavor and produces more vapor. All of these dual coil tanks are good for #cloudsBro, but pretty bad on flavor. The STM is simple in design, easy to fill (even though it's bottom fill) and just all around a performer.

Reactions: Vapez

Mactavish

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 19, 2010
    New York
    If you are a mouth to lunger or like moderate lung hits, then I don't think it's possible to beat the STM. All of these expensive designer tanks out there and none of them are as good (all around) imo. Kayfuns are good, but the STM has better flavor and produces more vapor. All of these dual coil tanks are good for #cloudsBro, but pretty bad on flavor. The STM is simple in design, easy to fill (even though it's bottom fill) and just all around a performer.

And not to mention, for about $3.00, you can add actual Kanger colored glass, and also change the colors of the o-rings and mix and match, a nice cheap touch. All of the reasons you posted, is why I own about 6 of them, quick flavor changes. There is also a bunch of after market BELL TANKS, that use the original base. The really cheap plastic bell caps are ok for testing a new flavor, then there is the next level up glass bell cap I found on SweetVapes, but while inexpensive, the glass is thin, chimney broke instantly on one of the two I bought, and it's held on to the base with one loose o-ring and pulls off with no effort and drowns you with juice. If you like glass, the best bell cap, costs approx. $28, but it's really nice, just avoid DROPPING it!

BigEgo

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2013
    Alabama
    And not to mention, for about $3.00, you can add actual Kanger colored glass, and also change the colors of the o-rings and mix and match, a nice cheap touch. All of the reasons you posted, is why I own about 6 of them, quick flavor changes. There is also a bunch of after market BELL TANKS, that use the original base. The really cheap plastic bell caps are ok for testing a new flavor, then there is the next level up glass bell cap I found on SweetVapes, but while inexpensive, the glass is thin, chimney broke instantly on one of the two I bought, and it's held on to the base with one loose o-ring and pulls off with no effort and drowns you with juice. If you like glass, the best bell cap, costs approx. $28, but it's really nice, just avoid DROPPING it!

Yeah I bought one of the glass bell caps from sweet vapes and broke it the first day. I didn't drop it but about 3 feet off my desk (onto a soft floor) but it still broke.

I have a bunch of the Fasttech acrylic bellcaps, but they melt after a while. It takes it a few weeks/months, but all of mine are now cracked or melting in the chimney. They still work, but I am skeptical of vaping on melting acrylic.

We need a new material, damn it. The materials scientists need to step up their game!

Mactavish

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 19, 2010
    New York
    Yeah I bought one of the glass bell caps from sweet vapes and broke it the first day. I didn't drop it but about 3 feet off my desk (onto a soft floor) but it still broke.

I have a bunch of the Fasttech acrylic bellcaps, but they melt after a while. It takes it a few weeks/months, but all of mine are now cracked or melting in the chimney. They still work, but I am skeptical of vaping on melting acrylic.

We need a new material, damn it. The materials scientists need to step up their game!

This is the only one I recommend for a glass bell cap:

Trinity Sub X Glass Tank - Kanger SubTank Mini

Not cheap, glass is THICK! If I broke this one, I'd buy another. It threads onto mini base, and no play in orings, best one on market if you like glass, so easy to wash out and clean. I recommended this to a friend, he loved it, but he's a Klutz and admitted he fell asleep on his couch and it fell on the floor and broke, I didn't think he would would even own it a full week before breaking it. If you are careful, this is a quality piece!

Leo Bak

ECF Veteran
    Dec 10, 2015
    Netherlands
    I've been using the st mini with a new deck and rba+ for a few weeks now and wow, what a great tank! Combined with an iStick tc60. At first i had to get used to the huge amount of air, even with afc near to closed. But now i really enjoy the big flavour and massive amount of vapor. (Coming from an eGo One Mega) Luckily i use diy juice, because i went from 10ml to 20ml per day. I'm still using kanthal wire but next step will be tc with either Ti or Ss (not officially supported by the iStick), not sure yet. Any thoughts on that anyone?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread