Little itty bitty mods under $100.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
I really like the looks of this one, the silver version in particular. I just wish I didn't hate the coils it uses so much. All but the 1,5ohm MTL coil spit like crazy in my Cuboid mini anyways, it's so bad that I find it difficult to understand people actually use and enjoy them.

I love the cubis pro tank now that I figured out how to pretty much eliminate any spit back, even with the notch coil in the regular cubis tank. The 0.5 is my fave though since it doesn't eat as much juice/battery but it doesn't give the same flavor as the 0.25 notch. I am using a notch right now in a standard cubis tank with some deadly sin juice. I just refilled it and got no spit back using this rather long winded technique I posted in the cubis pro thread:

I have not tried the QCS (maybe tomorrow) or the LVC coils yet. The notch coil is a finicky head that requires a pretty specific set of steps to stop from spitting, in either cubis tank. I have mentioned it earlier in the thread and linked/quoted where I found the steps:

Any time I prime and put a new one in, or refill the tank:
- reduce the air flow control a bit (1 - 2 notches in pro, about equivalent 1/4 closed in cubis)
- turn it upside down briefly then back right side up
- take about 10 no fire draws on it
- turn it upside down (over paper towel as it may spit some liquid) and fire it until u get a wisp of vapor
- turn it back over (*Edit to add I put a q tip down the drip tip at this point to mop up some juice) and take a few (2 - 5) short 1 - 2 second hits to be sure it wont spit before you commit to a proper draw.

This works in both cubs and cubis pro tanks for me. Ideal (for me) temp range can change dramatically depending on the coil and tank (cubis or pro) I am using. The notch requires lower temps in both tanks, but especially in the pro tank. The notch coil gives better flavor and slightly better vapor production but at this point I prefer the 0.5 heads.

Eager to try the QCS and RBA heads I bought sometime soon. Not sure when I will get around to trying the LCV MTL head.

I am vaping the same ry2k juice right now in the cubis pro with 0.5 in TC mode and in the subtank mini in VW mode and the flavor is a bit better in the kanger but both give great vapor production.

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Last edited:

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
This is new to me.

innokin-itaste-SD-mod-preview.jpg

Innokin iTaste SD20 Evolv DNA 20 Full Kit

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Me as well. I'm vaping my non-swappables, but not looking forward to the memorial ceremonies. :(

All external batts for moi at this point.

And my stable of "mechs" are quite happy! (you know..... the ones labeled Provari?) ;)

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I'll finish catching up with the thread later. In the meantime, I built my first coils. Started with a protank coil. Attempted 6 wraps, but wound up with 7. Wanted 2.5Ω It was 2.7Ω, but it looked very good. First two attempts at wicking came out bad, but by the third try, I had figured out how much cotton to use. It works great for giving me the kind of vape I want. Next, wound another, but ended up with 7 wraps again, and 2.7Ω. Didn't bother to wick it. I'll give it another go, soon.

Next I built a coil for the Lemo Drop. I used 32g kanthal, like with the protank, but with a 1/8 drill bit. Wicking it made a mess of the coil (and now I've read a post on this thread about thin wire being difficult to wick, so I know to try thicker wire). It works, but 3.4Ω. I've discovered that I don't like the Lemo drop, because even with the airflow as closed as it goes, it's still too airy for me. None of the ways I've tried to further close it off give me any sort of vape I like. I'm not giving up on it yet, though.

I bought three large Smoktech tanks that use protank style single bottom coils. The two I've tried so far, I like. Also bought an Aerotank mega. That one is my favorite. I put a protank single coil in it. All it needed was one extra of those cup-shaped silicon things that go over the stem, whatever you call them. That's what I had done with my (dual coil) evod glass, but that one needed two extra silicon things before it stopped leaking, though instructions I had read on ecf used only one extra.

The aerotank mega is making me very happy. Thanks for all the help so far, and for the help I think I can count on with my next questions, probably coming soon. In the meantime, I've made FDA-proofing progress, and am no longer worried about tanks and coils.

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
I'll finish catching up with the thread later. In the meantime, I built my first coils. Started with a protank coil. Attempted 6 wraps, but wound up with 7. Wanted 2.5Ω It was 2.7Ω, but it looked very good. First two attempts at wicking came out bad, but by the third try, I had figured out how much cotton to use. It works great for giving me the kind of vape I want. Next, wound another, but ended up with 7 wraps again, and 2.7Ω. Didn't bother to wick it. I'll give it another go, soon.

Next I built a coil for the Lemo Drop. I used 32g kanthal, like with the protank, but with a 1/8 drill bit. Wicking it made a mess of the coil (and now I've read a post on this thread about thin wire being difficult to wick, so I know to try thicker wire). It works, but 3.4Ω. I've discovered that I don't like the Lemo drop, because even with the airflow as closed as it goes, it's still too airy for me. None of the ways I've tried to further close it off give me any sort of vape I like. I'm not giving up on it yet, though.

I bought three large Smoktech tanks that use protank style single bottom coils. The two I've tried so far, I like. Also bought an Aerotank mega. That one is my favorite. I put a protank single coil in it. All it needed was one extra of those cup-shaped silicon things that go over the stem, whatever you call them. That's what I had done with my (dual coil) evod glass, but that one needed two extra silicon things before it stopped leaking, though instructions I had read on ecf used only one extra.

The aerotank mega is making me very happy. Thanks for all the help so far, and for the help I think I can count on with my next questions, probably coming soon. In the meantime, I've made FDA-proofing progress, and am no longer worried about tanks and coils.

nice job ! - just keep practicing , all ya can do - it will come to ya...

here's a pic to make ya think about 'coiling' and air flow... o_O

upload_2016-7-25_4-23-24.png

good luck

;)

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
nice job ! - just keep practicing , all ya can do - it will come to ya...

here's a pic to make ya think about 'coiling' and air flow... o_O

View attachment 581937

good luck

;)
Yes, I get it. Thanks. I'll try a bigger drill bit and probably more cotton for the Lemo. But there's something about that lemo that it doesn't want to perform well at ultra low wattage.

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands
I love the cubis pro tank now that I figured out how to pretty much eliminate any spit back, even with the notch coil in the regular cubis tank. The 0.5 is my fave though since it doesn't eat as much juice/battery but it doesn't give the same flavor as the 0.25 notch. I am using a notch right now in a standard cubis tank with some deadly sin juice. I just refilled it and got no spit back using this rather long winded technique I posted in the cubis pro thread:

It seems to be a hit and miss with these. Some people have the Cubis as well as the Cuboid mini tank and some of those prefer the Cubis because their mini spits too much while others prefer the mini for exactly the same reason
24664313681_c43e9e55b4_o.gif

I can get a coil dry after filling with your method but with the notch coil as well as with the 0,5ohm SS coil it just takes one hit to flood it again. The 1,5ohm coil does a better job for some reason so that must mean I have all the o-rings in the proper places at least.

Maybe they send me some faulty coils, idk, but with the weird flavor going on in mine I'm not inclined to order more of them to try.

I didn't order it for the tank anyway, I'm more a RTA guy myself. I just wanted the mod but could get the tank with it for just a little bit more so figured I'd take the opportunity to try it out.

I might try taking the notch coil apart and see if I can stick it in one of my RTA's to try it out. Oh, and I just realized I've never tried the RBA in the Cuboid mini so I guess I'll have to at least try that one as well.

Do you know what wire they use in the RBA perhaps? Is it a TC coil?

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
In the meantime, I've made FDA-proofing progress, and am no longer worried about tanks and coils.

:thumbs:

Yeah, 32 is pretty tiny, but is what I used when I was rebuilding the Kanger singles. Did you anneal it? Does make it easier to work with (true for all Kanthal sizes.)

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
Yes, I get it. Thanks. I'll try a bigger drill bit and probably more cotton for the Lemo.
But there's something about that lemo that it doesn't want to perform well at ultra low wattage.

Yeah, 32 is pretty tiny, but is what I used when I was rebuilding the Kanger singles. Did you anneal it? Does make it easier to work with (true for all Kanthal sizes.)

haha, I got a 250' roll of Kanthal 32g - thought it was the end-all and I was on my way... (bet there is 230' left on it)
- - -
maybe another trick is you can crank up the watts some to get the coil rockin'-n-rollin' , then use one of
the slip-stream drip tips to cool it back down... (pretty cheap)

jus sayin' :D

upload_2016-7-25_13-49-56.png

:w00t:

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii

I ended up using 28 ga,. about 1.6mm I.D., to do Kanger singles in my Mini Protank IIs. It produced a really, really good, flavorful vape, but it seems like I had to suck on the thing forever. :D

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA

No, I didn't anneal it, but I built another coil for the Lemo, and did heat it some before wicking it. It gave out one very tiny puff of smoke or vapor, then none. I did it again after fixing it a bit with my fingers, and another tiny puff floated out. I think that was oil from my fingers.

This coil came out better. I bought some 28g kanthal, and used a 5/32 drill bit. SteamEngine said 9 wraps for 2.5Ω, and this time I got the number of wraps I was shooting for. It read 2.48Ω at first. After bending a bit to cover the hole better, it read 2.53Ω. After wicking, still 2.53Ω. After juicing the cotton, 2.59Ω. Has stayed at 2.59Ω, since.

The bigger diameter has helped restrict some of the airflow, and combined with blocking 3 of the 4 holes, the airflow is almost how I like it, and good enough. It vapes real well starting at close to 9 watts, but not well lower. I don't like the vapor, but most vapers probably would. I'm pretty sure that coil could vape well at pretty high wattages, but I only tested it up to 14 watts. I don't want to have to vape higher than 6 watts, and 4-5 watts would be ideal for me.

I'm beginning to think that I need something with a much narrower chimney, more like a protank. That might have a lot to do with the vapor having a quality to it that I don't like. When I vape with the protank single coil style clearomizers, 9 watts is much more to my liking than the 9 watts with my Lemo. I don't like the extra heat, either way, though.

Would there be any reason not to pack some more cotton into the chimney, above the wick? I figure that would help cut down on airflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread