Status
Not open for further replies.

aldenf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2014
NYC, NJ, USA
Aldenf, thanks, and rebuilding a kanger coil is precisely what I intend to do, however, I've run into another issue, for some reason, the device is telling me that 3 other tanks, with lower than 2 ohm coils, that the ohms are too low they have 1.8, 1.3, and 1.0, they read and work fine on my MVP2... I have an rba at .9 that it sees and powers just fine. I'm getting very frustrated, and about ready to return it and get another Istick 30w..

Any suggestions?

AH1968, I've never even seen a Heatvape product in person. So take this with a grain of salt... If it won't fire attys within the listed specs and said attys work fine on other mods, it sounds like there's something up with the 510 connection; maybe a a bad solder job. It could be a software issue. If I were in your shoes, I'd take it back to the vendor for help/replacement.

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
You need a this! Instead of a this!

............................:D

............................;)

1-yes.gif

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Ok, swapped from the dripper, while it was on, and unlocked. It DID prompt for new coil, and TA DA!! It seems to be working great! So, my assumption is that when installing a new topper, it has to ask for the new coil in order to recognize it.
Thank you so much for your input, I was getting very frustrated.

Now I can see if I like this mod as much as I think I do lol

That's good news. I hope that's it :thumb: :toast:

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
Lovely, it works. However, I'd still like the option of a link. I wanted to post it in the Tootles, but had to do the broken link. Oh welp.

I know little about PC's...and even less about XenForo...but did you try using the "Link" button at the top of the Reply box?

(I only ask because I still haven't figured out what the purpose of that "Link" button is.)(Since just C/P a link into the Reply works fine.)

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
An update on my iStick 20 that began malfunctioning by draining its battery:

Since it was taking almost a full day for the battery to drain from full to empty, I moved that iStick 20 upstairs to the stable of PVs that sit on my bedside table, figuring that I could keep it plugged into a USB charger throughout the day, then use it at night as the battery drained. That worked for a couple days, but yesterday I noticed that the body of the iStick was getting warmer to the touch as the battery drained. The further down the battery drained, the warmer it got. By the time the battery was completely drained, the iStick was uncomfortably warm in my hand. After the battery shut down, the iStick cooled off quickly. Needless to say, that's a very bad sign. The word "dangerous" comes to mind. (My guess is that the malfunctioning power drain was basically the equivalent of firing the battery without a safety cut-off.)

So, into the trash it went.

I ordered another Smowell DPV-50 for $26.99 shipped from gearbest to replace the now-deceased iStick 20. No slam against the early iSticks, but we've come a long way since last autumn. The Smowell is about same price I paid for my iStick 20s, is almost as small but with 2 1/2 times the power (50 watts versus 20), uses a spring-loaded positive pin on a 510 connector with much better threads, has a user-replaceable 18650, and can fire coils as low as .24 ohms. Heck, I'll probably end up replacing my four other iStick 20s eventually.

Evi|grin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2013
I picked one one of these to try. It similar in size to a iStick 50watt or Smok M80. Battery life sofar has been excellent with a Atlantis, Subtank and a .5ohm build in a RBA. After two days of use it still had enough power.

CMW i60 60W Kit – Smoke Smart LLC

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
I picked one one of these to try. It similar in size to a iStick 50watt or Smok M80. Battery life sofar has been excellent with a Atlantis, Subtank and a .5ohm build in a RBA. After two days of use it still had enough power.

CMW i60 60W Kit – Smoke Smart LLC

Carbon Mod Works makes an expensive clone of the VaporFlask. This CMW i60 60W looks to be a cross between the iStick 50W and VaporFlask shapes, with a much more reasonable price. From the pics and description on the SmokeSmart web site (the only retail web vendor that sells it right now, apparently), the i60 is clearly designed as direct competition to the iStick 50. Same batteries---two dedicated 18650 Lipos providing 4400mAh and USB-charging, same low resistance capability, same display layout, but different chip. The product blurb says "better chipset than the eLeaf iStick 50W!" Maybe, but we don't know the identity or source of the chips in either device. The iStick 50W has a power range of 5-50 watts and uses PWM to approximate a kind of faux step-down. The i60 is listed at 7-60 watts, with no other specs, so it almost certainly doesn't buck either.

I'd hope that the CMW i60 has a spring-loaded floating positive pin and durable threads on the 510 connection, but the product description says nothing about that.

Another contender in that price/features/power range is the Smowell DPV-65, now on pre-order at fasttech and gearbest. The Smowell's triangular shape is a bit more compact than either the iStick 50 or CMW i60. The Smowell uses two user-supplied 18650 IMRs (as opposed to the dedicated dual Lipos in the others), and probably has the same chip as in the Smok XPRO 65.

Smowell DPV-65

aldenf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2014
NYC, NJ, USA
Carbon Mod Works makes an expensive clone of the VaporFlask. This CMW i60 60W looks to be a cross between the iStick 50W and VaporFlask shapes, with a much more reasonable price. From the pics and description on the SmokeSmart web site (the only retail web vendor that sells it right now, apparently), the i60 is clearly designed as direct competition to the iStick 50. Same batteries---two dedicated 18650 Lipos providing 4400mAh and USB-charging, same low resistance capability, same display layout, but different chip. The product blurb says "better chipset than the eLeaf iStick 50W!" Maybe, but we don't know the identity or source of the chips in either device. The iStick 50W has a power range of 5-50 watts and uses PWM to approximate a kind of faux step-down. The i60 is listed at 7-60 watts, with no other specs, so it almost certainly doesn't buck either.

I'd hope that the CMW i60 has a spring-loaded floating positive pin and durable threads on the 510 connection, but the product description says nothing about that.

Another contender in that price/features/power range is the Smowell DPV-65, now on pre-order at fasttech and gearbest. The Smowell's triangular shape is a bit more compact than either the iStick 50 or CMW i60. The Smowell uses two user-supplied 18650 IMRs (as opposed to the dedicated dual Lipos in the others), and probably has the same chip as in the Smok XPRO 65.

Smowell DPV-65

Good catch, Bill. Looking forward to hearing more about the Smowell.

eddiea

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2014
Laguna Niguel, CA USA
I ordered a Kamry 30w v2 to replace my slowly dying Cloupor Mini.

My mini's 510 is getting loose and wobbly. I tried some Krazy Glue and hot glue. They helped some, but it's not totally stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Try using JB Weld instead...that worked for me.

I've had my eye on the Kamry too...its size is nearly identical to the Cloupor Mini, and the spring-loaded pin is ideal.

Reactions: heateris

heateris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2012
SEPA
Would teflon tape work? Just curious. Works on plumbing! :D

I love Teflon tape, I consider it a vapers friend. Unfortunately, it won't help my mini. The 510 is actually coming loose from the body.

I'm gonna try reinforcing with JB Weld next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bayou14
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread