Looking for high mah batteries for a subohm mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
High MAH and high amperage aren't found in lithium batteries. You get one or the other. 30 amp batteries (which you need) are going to be in the 1500mah to 2000mah range.

At 70W and .15 ohms you are going to be at 22A and 3.2v on a mech. If it's a regulated mod all that will be controlled for you. Just find the battery with the highest MAH rating at 30A. Sony VTC4 is a good choice. Buy them when you can find them. Sony is restricting the sale of them to vape suppliers.

www.rtdvapor.com

Reactions: jwbnyc

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
High MAH and high amperage aren't found in lithium batteries. You get one or the other. 30 amp batteries (which you need) are going to be in the 1500mah to 2000mah range.

At 70W and .15 ohms you are going to be at 22A and 3.2v on a mech. If it's a regulated mod all that will be controlled for you. Just find the battery with the highest MAH rating at 30A. Sony VTC4 is a good choice. Buy them when you can find them. Sony is restricting the sale of them to vape suppliers.

www.rtdvapor.com
The vtc4 isn't a 30 amp battery though, just to make that clear. A better option than the highest amp-rated battery in a single-battery mod is to go for a dual-battery mod. That way high capacity 20 amp batteries can be used. 70w from a single-battery mod will result in abysmal battery runtime.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
At 70W and .15 ohms you are going to be at 22A and 3.2v on a mech. If it's a regulated mod all that will be controlled for you. Just find the battery with the highest MAH rating at 30A. Sony VTC4 is a good choice.
Although a great battery, the Sony VTC4 is only a 23 amp continuous battery as bench tested by Mooch. Battery vendors have misinformed their consumers that it is a 30 amp battery. That is true only if the VTC4 is used in a battery pack with battery protection circuits and active cooling. Without those conditions, the VTC4 overheats to dangerous levels if pushed. Vapers should consider the VTC4 as a 23 amp continuous battery.

Sony VTC4 2000mAh 18650
Sony VTC4 2000mAh 18650 Retest Results...a great 23A 2100mAh battery

Sony VTC4 2000mAh "only use in battery packs" 18650
Sony VTC4 2000mAh "use only in packs" 18650 Test Results...identical to other genuine VTC4's

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
You forgot to include the last part of his statement, but I'm being picky. ;)

"This is a 20A cell that can be forced to run at up to 30A if you're willing to accept a shorter cycle life and reduced margin for safety in case your mod autofires or your mech's button is accidentally pressed in your pocket."

"Can the VTC4 be run at 30A? Of course! We've been doing that for a long time. But, that can shorten the life of the cell and increase the risk of cell venting due to high cell temperature. A lot of cells can be run at 30A if we're willing to accept the cell damage and increased safety risks. But we need to set a CDR that not only ensures decent cycle life but also prevents cell venting if a device autofires or otherwise turns on continuously."

Calling the Sony VTC4 a 30 amp battery is mistakenly telling uninformed vapers that pushing it at 30amp draws is as safe as using a true 30 amp battery like one of the true 30 amp continuous Lg batteries ... and that's just not the case.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
30A operation is on the cutting edge of 18650 battery capability right now. Most of the batteries that can hit that target are in the 1500mah range. I picked the Sony just because it delivers a better MAH run time than the other choices.

We might see the 26650 begin to appear in sub ohm mod designs for that reason.

Mooch's article from August 2016
The Best 18650 Batteries for Vaping

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
30A operation is on the cutting edge of 18650 battery capability right now. Most of the batteries that can hit that target are in the 1500mah range. I picked the Sony just because it delivers a better MAH run time than the other choices.

We might see the 26650 begin to appear in sub ohm mod designs for that reason.

Mooch's article from August 2016
The Best 18650 Batteries for Vaping
26650 batteries do not handle high current well due to their construction and slower heat dissipation rates.

Reactions: DaveP

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
26650 batteries do not handle high current well due to their construction and slower heat dissipation rates.

The literal mass of the cell does lend itself to further development. I'm thinking that larger batteries will eventually deliver higher current rates than 18650's. Where there's a market there will be new technology.

In the ecig mod market size is critical. We all want smaller hand held mods that deliver longer vape time. if sub ohm vaping grows, then the tech to supply the market will evolve. There's new tech going on in the lithium market now for multiple applications. Most of that comes from research for electric cars. We will benefit from that research.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I people would stop talking about sub ohm vaping (seeing as we're talking about regulated mods most often). That's shifting focus to the wrong thing. High wattage is what's the the issue here. Even with mechs sub ohm per se isn't the problem. A .9Ω coil is sub ohm, and that draws less than 5 amps, with a fully charged battery and not accounting for battery sag.

Reactions: DaveP

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Yeah but the OP did say .15 ohm.And no type of mod used. Just 70 wats so I am assuming regulated?
and unless you want VERY short vape time at least a dual battery mod.
With a dual battery mod and 70 watts regulated the 30Q or the HG2's will both work fine. And give maximum 18650 capacity.

I agree. At least a regulated dual 18650 mod can prevent people from pushing things too far, but they don't prevent users from pushing the wrong battery too far.

Per definition, I'm a subohmer. I've been vaping a 10 wrap 2.5mm SS316L coil that usually comes out .93 to .99 ohms. On my Relleaux RX200S that runs about 2.8A when I vape at 10W. I could crank that to higher wattage and begin to stress the VTC4's or the HG2's I use in it, but who wants a hot DTL vape?

I'm more of a MTL vaper, anyway. I get as much and usually more vape time from my Smok Koopor 200W dual battery mod than I do from my Relleaux RX200S triple battery mod at 10W on the same battery type. There must be some additional overhead or efficiency issues with the RX200S than the simpler design of the Smok Koopor.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
In the ecig mod market size is critical. We all want smaller hand held mods that deliver longer vape time. if sub ohm vaping grows, then the tech to supply the market will evolve. There's new tech going on in the lithium market now for multiple applications. Most of that comes from research for electric cars. We will benefit from that research.
You inadvertantly contradicted your statement.

The manufacturers of lithium batteries are and will cater to their market, which is the auto industry and OEM power tool manufacturers. This market is looking for higher capacity batteries, not higher current batteries.

You're sadly mistaken if you believe these manufacturers (Lg, Samsung, Sony) are interested in the ecig market. The ecig market makes up only a small fraction of their consumer base. In fact, most don't even want us to be using their batteries in mods. Sony has been quite adament about this:

sony-battery-jpg.529035

The companies who rewrap the batteries purchased from Lg, Samsung, and Sony and market those batteries for sub-ohm vapers are in reality doing vapers a disfavor with their over-rated specifications. The rewrappers are conning their customers for a quick buck and possibly putting their health in jeopardy by doing so.
Conflict 60A 3500mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...a dangerously overrated 20A battery!

Last edited:
Reactions: KenD

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
You inadvertantly contradicted your statement.

The manufacturers of lithium batteries are and will cater to their market, which is the auto industry and OEM power tool manufacturers. This market is looking for higher capacity batteries, not higher current batteries.

You're sadly mistaken if you believe these manufacturers (Lg, Samsung, Sony) are interested in the ecig market. The ecig market makes up only a small fraction of their consumer base. In fact, most don't even want us to be using their batteries in mods. Sony has been quite adament about this:

The companies who rewrap the batteries purchased from Lg, Samsung, and Sony and market those batteries for sub-ohm vapers are in reality doing vapers a disfavor with their over-rated specifications. The rewrappers are conning their customers for a quick buck and possibly putting their health in jeopardy by doing so.
Conflict 60A 3500mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...a dangerously overrated 20A battery!

I agree with what you said, but I meant that ecig manufacturers will develop what the market wants. The tech (in the battery market) will grow and I mentioned electric cars as an enabling industry that will cause better batteries to be produced. By better batteries I also mean safer batteries. The lithium cells in cars are an incendiary problem too. No one wants a car with a history of battery fires.

The tech in the ecig mod market will evolve to meet the demand for whatever sells. Our ecig mod batteries came out of the tool and flashlight market even before electric cars were widely sold. Niche markets have always grown by utilizing components that were designed for other products.

I'm a 10 watt vaper who wouldn't care if sub ohming went away, but there are those who enjoy it.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I agree with what you said, but I meant that ecig manufacturers will develop what the market wants. The tech (in the battery market) will grow and I mentioned electric cars as an enabling industry that will cause better batteries to be produced. By better batteries I also mean safer batteries. The lithium cells in cars are an incendiary problem too. No one wants a car with a history of battery fires.
Agreed. However, the ecig market will only develop new gear dependent upon the current availability of batteries presently available.

I think we're about at the limit with the batteries presently available. 65 - 75 watts is about the limit for the best 18650 batteries available; to get more power multiple battery mods are required to reach upwards of 200 - 250 watts.

My point earlier was our gear will not advance much farther based on the demands of e-cig consumers alone. The auto industry and OEM power tool manufacturers will need to demand higher current batteries before the battery manufacturers will create them (if technically possible). I don't see that happening because that consumer market places a higher demand on capacity than current handling.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com

The tech in the ecig mod market will evolve to meet the demand for whatever sells. Our ecig mod batteries came out of the tool and flashlight market even before electric cars were widely sold. Niche markets have always grown by utilizing components that were designed for other products.

I'm a 10 watt vaper who wouldn't care if sub ohming went away, but there are those who enjoy it.
Again, by focusing on sub ohm coils you're focusing on the wrong thing. High/low wattage the key factor. As you yourself mentioned, you're a low wattage vaper but are using sub ohm builds.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Agreed. However, the ecig market will only develop new gear dependent upon the current availability of batteries presently available.

I think we're about at the limit with the batteries presently available. 65 - 75 watts is about the limit for the best 18650 batteries available; to get more power multiple battery mods are required to reach upwards of 200 - 250 watts.

My point earlier was our gear will not advance much farther based on the demands of e-cig consumers alone. The auto industry and OEM power tool manufacturers will need to demand higher current batteries before the battery manufacturers will create them (if technically possible). I don't see that happening because that consumer market places a higher demand on capacity than current handling.

Post FDA, if they aren't reigned in, we may be stuck with whatever we own at the moment. I've accumulated a small to medium stack of backup mods. The flashlight market will provide a legitimate source for 18650's for a while.

You are right in saying that battery manufactures aren't targeting the ecig market with new designs. It's the tool and auto market that's driving them and the tool market may be an offshoot of electric car development that was made widely popular through new battery tech spurred by car tech. We all remember drills with NiCads that only lasted a short time on a charge. Lithium cells renewed and advanced the tool market.

Electric car batteries have moved on to more high tech cells. 18650 is a thing of the past in new electric cars.
How Are Electric-Car Batteries Made? Photos From Nissan's New Plant

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Again, by focusing on sub ohm coils you're focusing on the wrong thing. High/low wattage the key factor. As you yourself mentioned, you're a low wattage vaper but are using sub ohm builds.

The OP wanted both high MAH and high CDR for a .15 coil, which isn't a real option. He's probably going to be in the 1500 to 2000mah range at that resistance.

SS316 got me below 1.5 ohms just because I wanted 8 or 10 wraps over the wicking with a 2.5mm coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread