Lost Vape Therion 166 (DNA250)

Status
Not open for further replies.

excalibur-x

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
I don't know where to ask, but do you have any experience with GeekVape SS316L and dna?

I have UD SS316L 26g and it vapes great at 220C. Doesn't matter id I build simple or twisted wire coil. Temp. of vape is same, difference is only with taste that is fuller with twisted wire. I bought GeekVape SS316L 28g so coil would cool down faster and after vape no more sizzling sound from the tank. Twisted it and made a nice 6 wrap coil 3mm ID 0.46ohm and now vape is not warm enough.

When I made a coil 8wraps with UD SS316L 3mm ID it vaped great at 220C. Now to get same temperature of vape I have to go to 240-250C. Why such big change?

Is this normal or is CSV for GeekVape SS316L different?

P.S. After twisting wire was springy as hell so I used gas torch to release the tension. Could this be a problem?

Last edited:

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
I don't know where to ask, but do you have any experience with GeekVape SS316L and DNA?

I have UD SS316L 26g and it vapes great at 220C. Doesn't matter id I build simple or twisted wire coil. Temp. of vape is same, difference is only with taste that is fuller with twisted wire. I bought GeekVape SS316L 28g so coil would cool down faster and after vape no more sizzling sound from the tank. Twisted it and made a nice 6 wrap coil 3mm ID 0.46ohm and now vape is not warm enough.

When I made a coil 8wraps with UD SS316L 3mm ID it vaped great at 220C. Now to get same temperature of vape I have to go to 440-450C. Why such big change?

Is this normal or is CSV for GeekVape SS316L different?
I've never used that wire but it sounds like you accidentally held down the - button and it scrolled to F instead of C. The mod itself only goes to 300C or 600F. If you hold down the - (down) button it will scroll back to C for you.

Cheers,
Steve

Reactions: jmercury1

excalibur-x

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
I've never used that wire but it sounds like you accidentally held down the - button and it scrolled to F instead of C. The mod itself only goes to 300C or 600F. If you hold down the - (down) button it will scroll back to C for you.

Cheers,
Steve
Uuuu, so sorry. Typing error.

I have to go to 240-250C to get warm and satisfying vape.

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
Uuuu, so sorry. Typing error.

I have to go to 240-250C to get warm and satisfying vape.
I'm not positive why that's happening since I've never used GeekVape SS316L but I can take a guess. Since SS is an alloy a slight change in the formula can change the TCR.

I normally use SS430 from Unkamen at 420F. I decided to try some SS430 from Crazy Wire and had to raise the TCR to .00175-.002 from it's normal .00138 to get a somewhat comparable vape (that's a huge change - I ended up not using the wire because I had no idea what it actually was). My only thought was the TCR was way off because the formula was way off or the wire was something different altogether (not SS430 and I don't know of any SS with that high of a TCR).

Either something is off with your coils or it sounds like the GeekVape might be SS304 (slightly higher TCR). This is just me thinking out loud.

qDpbMVR.jpg

Cheers,
Steve

excalibur-x

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
I changed material to SS304 on mod directly and now on 220C it vapes as I would expect from this build. Maybe even little warmer, but this can be because when I rebuild last time I put the coil little higher than usual.

I choose 28g because it's thinner and it uses less energy. I like twisted and when I twist with 26g it's a big mass to heat, with 28g it's more manageable. And I don't think it's a build problem. In Taifun GT3 I build a simple 6 wraps 2.5mm ID and vape was weak. I rebuild with twisted and same weak cold vape. I also tried with 316 profile that came with the mod and same story. Colder vape. In power mode all builds vape great so it has to be something with wire characteristics.

Maybe UD wire was off and now I'm expecting incorrect results, maybe GeekVape wire is off, or maybe both wires are off. Either way, it sucks to have a nice precise board that can't do correct TC because wires have different TCR.

ss304.png

Hi all

I've just recently brought a Therion. I got the black frame and the pearl coffee battery door (I think that's what it's called)

I picked it up at Vape Expo over here in the U.K.

This is a seriously impressive mod. The build quality is excellent.

I'm using a Wotofo Lush Plus rda and a tfv12 with the triple coil rba deck.

Could I please get a copy of the ecig file for escribe please? This is the first time I've properly messed around in escribe and it would really help to have a good base to start from.

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
Hi all

I've just recently brought a Therion. I got the black frame and the pearl coffee battery door (I think that's what it's called)

I picked it up at Vape Expo over here in the U.K.

This is a seriously impressive mod. The build quality is excellent.

I'm using a Wotofo Lush Plus rda and a tfv12 with the triple coil rba deck.

Could I please get a copy of the ecig file for escribe please? This is the first time I've properly messed around in escribe and it would really help to have a good base to start from.
If you PM me your Email address, I'll be happy to Email it to you.

I think it's a great mod by the way. I really think you are going to like it.

Cheers,
Steve

If you PM me your Email address, I'll be happy to Email it to you.

I think it's a great mod by the way. I really think you are going to like it.

Cheers,
Steve

Thanks.

I can't PM yet as my post count isn't high enough due to only just joining. It's getting there lol

Just setup my mage rta with a dual parallel 28g ss316l build and tried out temp control.

It's a very, very smooth vape. Smoother than anything I've tried in TC before. Although the only mod I've used in TC before this was a kit from totally wicked back when I first started vaping.

Even at 600f it's quite cool but it's a nice change from the hot vapour I'm used to.

Is there a way to change the wattage in TC mode on the mod or do I have to use eScribe for that?

Also, do I need to lock the resistance? As I've read that it isn't recommended on DNA boards

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
Just setup my mage rta with a dual parallel 28g ss316l build and tried out temp control.

It's a very, very smooth vape. Smoother than anything I've tried in TC before. Although the only mod I've used in TC before this was a kit from totally wicked back when I first started vaping.

Even at 600f it's quite cool but it's a nice change from the hot vapour I'm used to.

Is there a way to change the wattage in TC mode on the mod or do I have to use eScribe for that?

Also, do I need to lock the resistance? As I've read that it isn't recommended on DNA boards
I don't lock my DNA mods in TC. The main thing is to make sure the coils are cool (room temperature when screwing on the Atty so the mods knows what the correct Cold (room temp) resistance is.

You can change power in TC on the mod. First lock the mod by pressing the fire button 5 times. Then hold down the + and - buttons until you get into the "Hold to change power screen".

Cheers,
Steve

Chemical Bromance

Like a Ninja!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2016
Fantasy Island
Apologies if this has been asked and answered...

How well does the black wear on the metal? I have both the original Therion and Triade and the grey really wore of after just a half year of use. At first it was just wear on the corners. It got worse after I started cleaning with alcohol and it turns out the grey paint is *easily* removed with alcohol. Now almost all the paint has been stripped. Tried rubbing out the paint from around the battery cover but that messed up the leather so kinda left that alone.
Is the black paint on the 166/250 better quality and lasts longer?

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

aalmosawi

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2016
Baghdad
I am not sure why the fascination with this mod lately. Not to be a party pooper but I see many faults in it.

1- the battery door is a slide type. There is no way in hell that door wouldn't slide off accidentally. It reminds me of the aspire archon mod. I literally had to wrap a rubber band around the door to keep it in place.

2- it's 2017 and almost everyone and their grandma uses fancy coils whether it be alien or staggered fused whatever. These coils put a hefty load on two batteries when you vape at 90+watts during your daily usage.

3- the dna chip is supposed to be the chip that's so great no other manufacturer can compete with. Yet you can't do crap without hooking it to escribe to change things in the set profile out of the box.

4- the whole price scheme for the dna chip is absurd. The makers of the chip fancy themselves as being oh-so-great and efficient they jack up the price thus further jacking up the whole price of the final product.

I have a fuchai 213 in my hand right now and feel the design and ergonomics of it are far more superior to the therion.

Furthermore, if i were to choose a dna based mod i definitely wouldn't go for this. Instead I'd opt for a 3 battery version of the dna chip. Something like the triade perhaps. At least the door wouldn't come off easily and I'd have the advantage of 3 batteries equaling more life during the day.

... Just my 0.2 cents.

Reactions: Anthony_Vapes

Tintreach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I am not sure why the fascination with this mod lately. Not to be a party pooper but I see many faults in it.

1- the battery door is a slide type. There is no way in hell that door wouldn't slide off accidentally. It reminds me of the aspire archon mod. I literally had to wrap a rubber band around the door to keep it in place.

It has strong magnets..... I've never had mine come off. I can actually pick it up by the door and shake it with the mod facing down....still stays on!!

2- it's 2017 and almost everyone and their grandma uses fancy coils whether it be alien or staggered fused whatever. These coils put a hefty load on two batteries when you vape at 90+watts during your daily usage.

What does this have to do with the mod? You should know what a 2 battery mod is capable of doing and how much battery life you get from such loads. Not anyone's fault here, it's just plain math.

3- the dna chip is supposed to be the chip that's so great no other manufacturer can compete with. Yet you can't do crap without hooking it to escribe to change things in the set profile out of the box.

Mine worked fine out of the box. RTFM!!!! Plus the new C family of chips will resolve this complaint. At least they have fully adjustable setting unlike any other chip excluding Arctic Fox & JoyTec stuff. Development, documentation, updates and support are frequent and easily obtainable. I'd like to see Sigelei try and do this.

4- the whole price scheme for the dna chip is absurd. The makers of the chip fancy themselves as being oh-so-great and efficient they jack up the price thus further jacking up the whole price of the final product.

It is a US based company so overhead is a bit steeper than china. That being said as small as evolv is, most DNA mods now are cheaper than Yihi's line up which are 100% China.

I have a fuchai 213 in my hand right now and feel the design and ergonomics of it are far more superior to the therion.

First time ever I have read about anything Sigelei being superior to anything. I can honestly say that this company is inferior as I have literally had one of their mechs almost blow up in my hand due to a horrible switch design that shorted. They may have gotten better but their track record with me is ruined.

All this being said, if you ever vaped heavy on mechs you will then understand the attraction to DNA chips. If you want a solid TC device, then you understand the attraction to DNA chips. If you are balls to the wall, high wattage then you probably will miss the value of these devices. So far I think Lost Vape is producing some great mods at an affordable price point vs most everything else.

Outcast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Vermont
It has strong magnets..... I've never had mine come off. I can actually pick it up by the door and shake it with the mod facing down....still stays on!!

What does this have to do with the mod? You should know what a 2 battery mod is capable of doing and how much battery life you get from such loads. Not anyone's fault here, it's just plain math.

Mine worked fine out of the box. RTFM!!!! Plus the new C family of chips will resolve this complaint. At least they have fully adjustable setting unlike any other chip excluding Arctic Fox & JoyTec stuff. Development, documentation, updates and support are frequent and easily obtainable. I'd like to see Sigelei try and do this.

It is a US based company so overhead is a bit steeper than china. That being said as small as evolv is, most DNA mods now are cheaper than Yihi's line up which are 100% China.

First time ever I have read about anything Sigelei being superior to anything. I can honestly say that this company is inferior as I have literally had one of their mechs almost blow up in my hand due to a horrible switch design that shorted. They may have gotten better but their track record with me is ruined.

All this being said, if you ever vaped heavy on mechs you will then understand the attraction to DNA chips. If you want a solid TC device, then you understand the attraction to DNA chips. If you are balls to the wall, high wattage then you probably will miss the value of these devices. So far I think Lost Vape is producing some great mods at an affordable price point vs most everything else.

I'm mostly a mech guy I build lower then I shod I have a DNA 166 vaper flask for the ohm reader thy are the best and also some times I like a Tc consistent vape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread