Status
Not open for further replies.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Just paid for 2 Manta BF Hybrid Edition atty's and should have them in a few days. So nearly time to start seeing if this latest (last) try out of a 22mm atty for my Reos pans out for me. :unsure:

I know some here already have Manta's. So any thoughts, builds, etc to steer me in the right direction to give them a fair chance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
The thing that makes the Manta such a flavor machine is the fact that even though it's a 22mm atty, the chamber itself is only about 14.6mm diameter, and it's domed. For this reason, you have to be careful to keep the coils in fairly tight to the posts, so they don't hit the top cap. As for height, measure the distance inside the cap, from the bottom of the cap to the air slots, and set the coil heights the same. As I recall, without taking the cap off one of mine, it's 9mm.
Here's a pic of one of mine:

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
The one complaint some people have had with some of the Mantas is, the top cap is pretty tight. Some people remove one of the two o rings, and have no leakage problem.
My solution is: Get some 19mm x 1mm Buna 70 o rings, and replace the stock o rings with those. They work perfectly. I got mine from oringsandmore dot com.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
The one complaint some people have had with some of the Mantas is, the top cap is pretty tight. Some people remove one of the two o rings, and have no leakage problem.
My solution is: Get some 19mm x 1mm Buna 70 o rings, and replace the stock o rings with those. They work perfectly. I got mine from oringsandmore dot com.
Spydro, this is sound advice. These orings took the only issue I ever had with my Mantas away and provided the perfect (for me) tolerance of the top cap. Spydro I would be happy to send you a few; PM me if you so desire :)

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Just paid for 2 Manta BF Hybrid Edition atty's and should have them in a few days. So nearly time to start seeing if this latest (last) try out of a 22mm atty for my Reos pans out for me. :unsure:

I know some here already have Manta's. So any thoughts, builds, etc to steer me in the right direction to give them a fair chance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I've tried a lot of attys. Some I've liked, some I've disliked, and some are just so-so. But the Manta remains my favorite (I also like the Thump; but that's another story). Give the Manta an honest chance, and I'll be surprised if you don't like it.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
I agree with Rule - it is fair to say Rule was the voice in the back of my head for a long time saying "Get a Manta" and I ignored it, for a very long time - and upon receiving my first Manta, I ordered 2 more. I've since ordered another and sent one out on loan. Favorite atty? Yes :) :)

The notion, Spydro, that if you're going to like any 22mm atty, this is the one - it's a notion with good reasoning behind it. My main concern is that at this point, it's been praised so much, that it may not live up to your expectations.

Point being, I'll understand if you do not agree with us. Your vape is your vape and I respect your likes and dislikes. I imagine you will enjoy the Manta quite a lot as it has great flavor and your LDLHs will work great with its airflow.

But go ahead and lower your expectations...better to be amazed than disappointed :)

Orings going out in the mail this morning.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Thanks for the comments gents and what they all share is duly noted.

I actually do give every piece of gear I buy a chance. Despite the hype If I didn't think something might work for me I wouldn't buy it in the first place. When it comes to 22mm BF atty's for Reos my batting average is very low, almost a total strike out. Hype about them has been misleading for my uses, but even that is expected because other hyped gear, a truckload of hyped joose, even hyped methods that works for someone else has not worked for me. So it is true that I have strong doubts about using 22mm atty's on my Reos. Because those others bought that didn't work for me, and in part due to aesthetics. I'm not without fault though in that most of those 22's I bought were BF'd clones when I am a person who dislikes clones, the companies that make them and have not bought cloned anything since soon after I first started vaping until the atty's for the Reos. These Manta's are not clones, that is the main reason I decided to try them and I do hope they work out for me. But if I do like them enough to not just toss them in "The Box" I will most likely finally build a couple of the 4 Peko kits I bought way back when (that have been in The Box ever since) and run them on those now an then instead of on my preferred Reos.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Thank you, I'll keep an eye out then.

I would be surprised if you don't love the Manta. It is a flavor powerhouse for a 22mm atty. So much so, that it was too flavorful for me for some flavors!
It is for me too - I mostly vape unflavored now but when I load a flavor up in the manta these days the flavors so strong it almost makes me nautilus x.x that's bc I'm desensitized to flavor tho...

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Thank you, I'll keep an eye out then.

I would be surprised if you don't love the Manta. It is a flavor powerhouse for a 22mm atty. So much so, that it was too flavorful for me for some flavors!
It is for me too - I mostly vape unflavored now but when I load a flavor up in the manta these days the flavors so strong it almost makes me nautilus x.x that's bc I'm desensitized to flavor tho...

That could get interesting... some of my DIY drink flavors are very intense, enough so that a lot of folks probably wouldn't vape them at all in any atty. I'm not changing recipes, so might have to play with new builds instead of just using the builds I already know that works for me in my other atty's with these.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
That could get interesting... some of my DIY drink flavors are very intense, enough so that a lot of folks probably wouldn't vape them at all in any atty. I'm not changing recipes, so might have to play with new builds instead of just using the builds I already know that works for me in my other atty's with these.

I've been vaping a lot of unflavored, lately. But I have a cabinet full of bottles of DIY stuff. Some of them are recipes I've been making for 3-4 years, and are the result of much trial and error. I don't alter the recipes, for using the Manta, or any other atty. but what I have been doing, lately, is diluting them down, when I fill the Reo bottle; sometimes by as much as 75% unflavored/25% flavored juice. Where a lot of my recipes used to involve 15-20% total flavor; nowadays 4-5% is plenty.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I've been vaping a lot of unflavored, lately. But I have a cabinet full of bottles of DIY stuff. Some of them are recipes I've been making for 3-4 years, and are the result of much trial and error. I don't alter the recipes, for using the Manta, or any other atty. but what I have been doing, lately, is diluting them down, when I fill the Reo bottle; sometimes by as much as 75% unflavored/25% flavored juice. Where a lot of my recipes used to involve 15-20% total flavor; nowadays 4-5% is plenty.

Thanks for the comments and suggestion. A difference is that I don't vape unflavored, and don't intend to ever vape it (I've tried it, not my thing). Vaping to me is all about the mechanics of smoking that I have enjoyed since I was 13, but I replace the negatives of smoking and nicotine with flavor. So it's all about the mechanics and flavor to me. I never have and doubt I ever would dilute my liquids that are all VG except those where the flavors are store bought PG based. When I extract my own flavors I use VG. So the intense liquids I use I probably wouldn't vape at all if they were not intense. For example, some of my DIY-NEF coffee's would probably jump start a mule that has been dead for decades. But then I have drank coffee for 60+ years, most of those years strong black coffee. In general I can't gag down a lot of the flavors that many folks thrive on for vaping... fruits, bakery, desserts, cereal, candy, etc. Certain fruits are a staple in the mostly raw food diet I devised and changed to about 4 years ago, so I eat very little bakery or desserts, no cereal or candy. My vaping preferences are mainly beverage (coffee, tea, liquor), nut & spice flavors and a little tobacco now and then.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Thanks for the comments and suggestion. A difference is that I don't vape unflavored, and don't intend to ever vape it (I've tried it, not my thing). Vaping to me is all about the mechanics of smoking that I have enjoyed since I was 13, but I replace the negatives of smoking and nicotine with flavor. So it's all about the mechanics and flavor to me. I never have and doubt I ever would dilute my liquids that are all VG except those where the flavors are store bought PG based. When I extract my own flavors I use VG. So the intense liquids I use I probably wouldn't vape at all if they were not intense. For example, some of my DIY-NEF coffee's would probably jump start a mule that has been dead for decades. But then I have drank coffee for 60+ years, most of those years strong black coffee. In general I can't gag down a lot of the flavors that many folks thrive on for vaping... fruits, bakery, desserts, cereal, candy, etc. Certain fruits are a staple in the mostly raw food diet I devised and changed to about 4 years ago, so I eat very little bakery or desserts, no cereal or candy. My vaping preferences are mainly beverage (coffee, tea, liquor), nut & spice flavors and a little tobacco now and then.

Sounds a lot like myself. I've been a lover of strong, black coffee for many, many years. I still drink probably way too much of the stuff. As for smoking, I didn't really smoke cigarettes all that much. The majority of my smoking was primarily pipes and cigars, both of which I inhaled.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Sounds a lot like myself. I've been a lover of strong, black coffee for many, many years. I still drink probably way too much of the stuff. As for smoking, I didn't really smoke cigarettes all that much. The majority of my smoking was primarily pipes and cigars, both of which I inhaled.

Parallels. ;) I don't drink anywhere near as much coffee now as I did from my early teens until a couple of years ago. During my youth on the ranch, and from the military days starting mid 60's to a few years ago the most... 3-5 or more pots a day. I still drink it anytime day or night same as I vape all day and night since I seldom sleep. I also smoked pipes from the mid 60's until I started vaping, cigars occasionally, and inhaled them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread