Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Don't use the diode test setting on your DMM. It's for checking diodes, which pass DC in only one direction. Will NOT give correct resistance reading on, well, a resistor like your coil.

Use the lowest ohm setting (typically 200), short the leads to each other and note the reading. That's the resistance of the test leads and probes. Then read your coil and subtract that lead resistance.

wasilikoslow

Aug 11, 2016
4hbjxo88h

15419339_1485089048187918_181202292_o — Postimage.org
as you can see, I did measure ohm with 200 (one left) yeah I short the leads each other came out 0.1 and atomizer came at 1.1 so I assume its 1.0 ohm and I switched it into whats in the picture to see if there is a short or not and it came at 0

oh I cant post pictures... I am a new user
JNmi4

Reactions: Kprthevapr

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Nope, not yet! :)

Sounds like your procedure is correct, so 1.0 Ω also sounds correct. And, if you're not running on a mech, a quick press of the fire button should allow your mod to read the resistance as well. If they're the same (or REAL close, as there's often a bit more resistance through the connections, and not all meters are calibrated....), you're good. :thumb:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Nope, not yet! :)

Sounds like your procedure is correct, so 1.0 Ω also sounds correct. And, if you're not running on a mech, a quick press of the fire button should allow your mod to read the resistance as well. If they're the same (or REAL close, as there's often a bit more resistance through the connections, and not all meters are calibrated....), you're good. :thumb:

If the OP has a regulated mod that displays resistance, there's not much need for using a multimeter.

I do use a 521 tab to build on so I can see the resistance and fire the coils without relying on my mods to build on, but if I didn't have one, the mods themselves would be fine to use as well.

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
4hbjxo88h

15419339_1485089048187918_181202292_o — Postimage.org
as you can see, I did measure ohm with 200 (one left) yeah I short the leads each other came out 0.1 and atomizer came at 1.1 so I assume its 1.0 ohm and I switched it into whats in the picture to see if there is a short or not and it came at 0

oh I cant post pictures... I am a new user
JNmi4

If there was a short, your meter would read "open"..
Edit ; 0 resistance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kprthevapr

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
If there was a short, your meter would read "open"..
An open circuit is different from a short. The opposite in fact. An open circuit has no resistance at all, and won't draw any amps, whereas a short is a very low resistance, drawing lots of amps.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
An open circuit is different from a short. The opposite in fact. An open circuit has no resistance at all, and won't draw any amps, whereas a short is a very low resistance, drawing lots of amps.

Short circuit= no voltage, 0 resistance.
Open circuit= no current, infinate resistance.

Reactions: DavidOck

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Short circuit= no voltage, 0 resistance.
Open circuit= no current, infinate resistance.
Infinite resistance, yes of course. I got that wrong. However, a short circuit will always have some resistance, though very low.

Reactions: daviedog

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Yes, as others have stated, the resistance setting is the one you want. I've really only used Fluke DMMs the last several years, and on the "Diode check" setting they don't display resistance, they display the voltage drop across a diode when forward biased.

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
that sounds counter intuitive.... how can one measure resistance if there is none ??? ;)
( open circuit = no resistance, one needs a circuit to measure resistance ;) )
Can you read a simple schematic? If so google open circuit, short circuit, & closed circuit. Becomes apparent.
Yes, it is not intuitive. The physical universe rarely is..

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
OK guys.
Short circuit will never have 0 resistance - it should include a power source, and any power source has it's own resistance.
Nothing is really simple. Especially cooking. Electricity, compared to cooking, is the simplest thing in the world.
Well, unless you're measuring a superconductor. ;)

Reactions: Eskie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread